WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I disagree . Piano sounds fantastic. Listen to Ibrahim Ferrer - Quizas , quizas. What is your system?
I don’t expect everyone to agree when it comes to audio fidelity. We all have different ears. The way your ear captures sound and it’s processed by your brain is different than other individuals. Factors like your DNA or life experiences where individuals have built some ear damage through the years play a role. What’s important is that the music you play makes you feel good and evokes emotions. If Piano, brass, and strings has natural tonality with the pro+ DAC to you then that’s awesome. Enjoy the music.

I have been in this hobby for over 20 years. My base home system is Audio Physics Avanti III with Pass Labs INT-25 which is a fairly simple setup. However my truck has a more complicated setup as car audio is more challenging than home audio. Mosconi Pro Line amplifiers with Audiofrog GBs tuned with a Audiotec Fisher DSP Ultra. REW has been a great tool in dialing in all these systems. The time invested in tuning can be fun but tiresome.

I don’t expect everyone to agree when it comes to audio fidelity. We all have different ears. The way your ear captures sound and it’s processed by your brain is different than other individuals. Factors like your DNA or life experiences where individuals have built some ear damage through the years play a role. What’s important is that the music you play makes you feel good and evokes emotions. If Piano, brass, and strings has natural tonality with the pro+ DAC to you then that’s awesome. Enjoy the music.

I have been in this hobby for over 20 years. My base home system is Audio Physics Avanti III with Pass Labs INT-25 which is a fairly simple setup. However my truck has a more complicated setup as car audio is more challenging than home audio. Mosconi Pro Line amplifiers with Audiofrog GBs tuned with a Audiotec Fisher DSP Ultra. REW has been a great tool in dialing in all these systems. The time invested in tuning can be fun but tiresome.

Yes of course improvement is another thing . Look you have a higher end system but you did not specify any source / dac you have compared it to. I have compared it to the internal dac of roksan attessa ( Elac carina speakers) which ok maybe it was more mature but not as clean and details were less prominent . And especially piano sounded better than attessa more separated and detailed but maybe a tad less heavy . Cello more complete on attessa but with Wiim the overall balance of sound was better resulting in no volume changes even in the most complex songs.

I have used various noise tweaks with Wiim . Good Ethernet cables , network switch , lan isolator , silent power supply , good power conditioning, good rca cables… It needs a little help to shine.. but it deserves it :)

Last edited:
However, if you think it’s the most resolving sound in the industry, then you could be fooling yourself.

Similarly, anyone thinking it might be less resolving could be fooling themselves.

Truth be told, we have a use-purpose here. If your speakers are not hard to drive, and you're listening at less-than-ear-bleeding volumes/close range, this amp may be pretty much as resolving as any you'll hear.

Is there anything we have in any test measurement which suggests otherwise, given those caveats?

Similarly, anyone thinking it might be less resolving could be fooling themselves.

Truth be told, we have a use-purpose here. If your speakers are not hard to drive, and you're listening at less-than-ear-bleeding volumes/close range, this amp may be pretty much as resolving as any you'll hear.

Is there anything we have in any test measurement which suggests otherwise, given those caveats?
It’s funny how you completely ignore two full paragraphs describing how its not less resolving for what it is. You’re a troll.

It’s funny how you completely ignore two full paragraphs describing how its not less resolving for what it is. You’re a troll.

I'm not a troll. I didn't ignore the other two paragraphs, I just chose not to comment on them, and largely agree with much of them.

My comment on the final paragraph stands and falls on its own merits.

I find it a little sad that an argument broke out here. WiiM makes amazing products and only wants to make the world of hifi fun and more accessible without the snobbery that comes with hifi.

I think WiiM is better for the hifi hobby than any of the negative opinions expressed about them.

I find it a little sad that an argument broke out here. WiiM makes amazing products and only wants to make the world of hifi fun and more accessible without the snobbery that comes with hifi.

I think WiiM is better for the hifi hobby than any of the negative opinions expressed about them.
I am not worry, let's the company disclose/announce the product details.
I have a mini for my son hifi (Marrantz PM6005 with small speaker), he is very happy of it and I will certainly buy the pro+ or Ultra for my main living room system :)
It is between very good or even better choice.

I would focus on streaming and not the DAC. USB digital output that is decently clean. If you want balanced you can get it from an external DAC of choice. Special attention needs to be paid to the time domain. That is what will make a streamer exceptional.

For the price i would think the chipset would be much higher end; bells and whistles as it were and build quality. The app too i would imagine to have a few options as well for the device to take advantage of it all.
Still all in all if ones ears cannot discern the sound stage, it becomes less important alas.

For the price i would think the chipset would be much higher end; bells and whistles as it were and build quality. The app too i would imagine to have a few options as well for the device to take advantage of it all.
Still all in all if ones ears cannot discern the sound stage, it becomes less important alas.
What exactly is wrong with the build quality of any WiiM product, they look sleek, all of mine have been well made and scratch resistant.
Sure more metal might be nicer, but the days of metal faced audio died long ago.

I will be staying with pro plus this time . Pretty happy with it .

Last edited:
Make a bet on the dac… I say it will be a dual chip from ess
If SMSL can produce the D6s for 200/250 (dollar/euro) then Wiim should be able to equip the Ultra with ES9039Q2M.
I bought the D6s just for fun and as a DAC it sounds just as good as ANY other DAC. Unfortunately there is some kind of handshake problem over USB between the D6s and Bluesound Node when I use USB. Tidal MQA/Max material just won't play any sound.

Last edited:
Back