Roadmaps - 10 Feb 24 updates

The Go Link was also my suggestion. Not too expensive and the attached cable is resistent.

I have the Lightning version of the iFi - it is well built and works well.
To be honest, I can't hear the difference between the two I linked to, but then again I was only using a light pair of headphones when I was out for a walk.
On the plus side, my new hearing aids now support stereo bluetooth audio, so I don't even need to carry headphones now :)

@cooky560 what device are you going to use? If it is a smartphone be aware that older Android's may be limited to 16/48 even if the DAC supports 24/192 such as the iFi

The Go Link was also my suggestion. Not too expensive and the attached cable is resistent.
It is the cable and the plug that are always the weak points but my experience with these is good.

It's possibly time that someone made a phone case with a DAC integrated into it, to restore the 3.5mm functionality, it was daft to remove it.

iPhone 15 is capable of HiRes in conjunction with any of the suggested USB-C DACs so you are in luck

For the iFi Go Link and for a FiiO KA1 I can confirm it. This are the two dongles my wife uses every day with her iPhone!

It's possibly time that someone made a phone case with a DAC integrated into it, to restore the 3.5mm functionality, it was daft to remove it.
Someone did but I can't recall who or what phone is was for

Hidizs made this one, but it isn't very portable and does not fit every phone ;-)

IMG_2794.jpeg

this is pretty small

For the iFi Go Link and for a FiiO KA1 I can confirm it. This are the two dongles my wife uses every day with her iPhone!
How decent do they sound compared to say the DAC in my wiim pro plus?

How decent do they sound compared to say the DAC in my wiim pro plus?
For me it always depends more on the last part in your setup, I must confess I can not hear differences between DACs. But between headphones ;-) So your headphone defines the sound. I tried both it with some IEMs and a Sennheiser HD 560s and all sounded great, I bet up to 60 Ohms both do the job good and loud enough. But eventually my ears are not good enough to point DAC differences ;-) and as I wrote, thats my wife's field so it is a while ago I used the dongles.

Don't know if that's possible with the current chipset or licensing. Some have purchased a relatively cheap BT transmitter like this to get access to the higher BT codecs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C3HBWYG4
Yes aptX may well require a licence or specific chipset, LDAC is available as a software encoder in debian for example. As said I have used external dongles/DAC's and they are suboptimal, no external DACS or headphone cables for me , due to the little destructor bots, Bluetooth and wireless CD quality is good enough. Oh and it needs to pass the wife test ;)

Oohh, that should please some people, assuming we are actually talking about the same thing..
i.e. switch from, say, coax to analog out and the music keeps on playing.
I’m really looking forward to this update! If I can switch outputs without resetting playback (queue) it will significantly improve my life ;-)

Anybody tested the new upsampling feature in a beta firmware ? How does it work ?

Back