Roadmaps - 10 Feb 24 updates

Anybody tested the new upsampling feature in a beta firmware ? How does it work ?
I recall seeing a screenshot from someone about a month ago (maybe on ASR?) but I don’t recall whether it commented on its efficacy.
Guess we must be due the release of a few features in the coming weeks, and hopefully the upnp casting beta - I wonder if that’ll provide hi res groups?

I recall seeing a screenshot from someone about a month ago (maybe on ASR?) but I don’t recall whether it commented on its efficacy.
Guess we must be due the release of a few features in the coming weeks, and hopefully the upnp casting beta - I wonder if that’ll provide hi res groups?

I hope it improves sound ! What do you mean by hi res groups ? In my case I want to set it at 24/96 fixed

I hope it improves sound ! What do you mean by hi res groups ? In my case I want to set it at 24/96 fixed
That was referring to my second comment about upnp casting, not the fixed rate output. If WiiM implement UPNP casting, that may be a way to get round the 24/48 limit when linking WiiM devices, assuming of course they allow casting to more than one upnp player.

Here's a breakdown of how oversampling benefits Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs) and audio quality, especially compared to the CD standard:

What is Oversampling?

Oversampling involves increasing the sampling rate of a digital audio signal above its original value. For example, CD-quality audio has a sample rate of 44.1 kHz. Oversampling might multiply that rate by 4x, 8x, or even higher.
This process doesn't add more detail to the original signal. Instead, it spreads existing quantization errors (introduced when converting analog to digital) over a wider frequency range.
How Oversampling Helps DACs

Simplified Reconstruction Filter:
The reconstruction filter in a DAC removes very high-frequency artifacts (above the audible range) created by the digital-to-analog conversion process. These artifacts are a form of noise.
Oversampling shifts these artifacts much higher in frequency. This allows the DAC to use a gentler, less complex analog filter. Simpler filters usually have better phase response, preserving the time relationships between different frequencies in the audio signal for more accurate sound reproduction.
Reduced Noise:
As mentioned, oversampling spreads quantization noise over a wider frequency range. Much of that noise gets pushed above the range of human hearing. When the reconstruction filter removes these ultrasonic frequencies, it significantly reduces the audible noise floor. This leads to a cleaner, more transparent sound.
Sound Quality Benefits vs. CD

Improved Dynamics: The lower noise floor achieved with oversampling allows very quiet passages in the music to be reproduced more faithfully, enhancing dynamic range.
Enhanced Detail: Although oversampling doesn't technically increase resolution, subtle low-level details become more apparent due to the reduction in noise.
Smoother Highs: The potential for harshness in high frequencies is reduced thanks to the less aggressive reconstruction filtering.
More Spacious Sound: Improved time-domain accuracy (from the simpler filter) helps create a more realistic and convincing soundstage for the listener.

If by UPnP casting you mean to non-WiiM devices then surely that won't include grouping at all, or at least not synchronised?

@steadyshot
However, the whole thing is also viewed critically at many places: Robert Harley for example, sheds light on the concept of "marketing bits" in his book "The Complete Guide To High-End Audio". Altmann criticises on www.jitter.de that upsampling reduces the measurable jitter, but after extrapolating the signal is no longer the same - it now contains the time error immediately and is qualitatively irreversible changed. The problems of asynchronous extrapolation are also sometimes addressed.
However, I do not think many of "us" WiiM users will own gear what is able to show audible pros or cons. My devices f.e. are not able to do so, may be yours are. If so: Congratulations!

@steadyshot
However, the whole thing is also viewed critically at many places: Robert Harley for example, sheds light on the concept of "marketing bits" in his book "The Complete Guide To High-End Audio". Altmann criticises on www.jitter.de that upsampling reduces the measurable jitter, but after extrapolating the signal is no longer the same - it now contains the time error immediately and is qualitatively irreversible changed. The problems of asynchronous extrapolation are also sometimes addressed.
However, I do not think many of "us" WiiM users will own gear what is able to show audible pros or cons. My devices f.e. are not able to do so, may be yours are. If so: Congratulations!

I will check the link you provided . The point is that at least in theory pushing the quantisation error at inaudible frequency will bring benefits or the dac will have to apply a less steep reconstruction filter will again at least in theory benefit more normal dacs

I will check the link you provided . The point is that at least in theory pushing the quantisation error at inaudible frequency will bring benefits or the dac will have to apply a less steep reconstruction filter will again at least in theory benefit more normal dacs
My standpoint, this theory is what it is: theoretical. My knowledge isn't deep enough to follow all aspects, I only wanted to point that there are different views on up/down/oversampling. May be the ASR guys will laugh at me, I trust my ears and this ears can not hear differences related to the sampling issues. For me this discussions are academic. But people with deeper knowledge or more interest in this field are invited to prove me wrong. I hope that the designers of my DAC did a good job ;-)

I'd be surprised if it's not already based on it, as it's an extension to UPnP like OpenHome is (both from Linn I think).
Are you thinking to achieve synchronised hires (across WiiM devices)?
Yeah, perhaps, as a follow on from my previous remarks

Yeah, perhaps, as a follow on from my previous remarks
I thought 'UPnP casting' would be to non-WiiM UPnP renderers, the vast majority of which don't implement Songcast, so whether WiiM does or not really doesn't matter.
Will be interesting to see what it offers though, especially if you can cast from any source e.g. Qobuz, to a regular UPnP speaker without going through the phone. What's the business justification though?

Back