WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I’d say to WiiM, @WiiM Support @WiiM Team that as the main criticism of what’s been announced appears to be a lack of balanced outs, please make this option available. If it’s not already in your plan for the Ultra, please ask your team if it’s possible, because that small step would be an absolute game changer.

Given it looks like it’s going to be formally announced on May 9th with availability within Q2, I’d say the chance of changing the design and case to accommodate balanced outputs is infinitesimal

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should flip through all 54 pages in this thread to learn those reasons then. Or maybe just stay with my Wiim Pro Plus and current setup. Getting a display and sub out is hardly worth the upgrade. The better dac will probably not be audible on my current system.
this device presenting itself a little more like a "num" preamp... the technical bias and the care taken with the ana inputs, and the ADC, will be more "sensitive"...
wait and heard...
;-)

The Lektor series was relatively low cost, "powered speakers" will always be noticeably more expensive. I am using the term "powered speakers", because those costing the least amount of money will usually not have an active crossover and separate amplifiers for each driver (which is my definition of an active speaker).

I agree that active mini studio monitors are your best bet and I don't see what's wrong with them (except for the trivial fact that you need a power outlet close by for any active device).

Here are a couple of examples (not my personal recommendation due to lack of experience, but they are well respected and popular) ranging from 90 to 193 EUR per piece:

They even feature regular unbalanced RCA inputs, a perfect match for the WiiM Ultra. :D
if it were so great...there wouldn't be so many...different ones...with quite different renderings...such competition between them etc ;-)
listening to such speakers " modest home studio" on a wall in a pro shop makes this clear in a few moments ;-)

I believe wiim attracts two vastly different audiences.

The "normal" people who just want a one and done option that's easy to use.
Then there's the "audiophile" ones, who are more common on these forums, who wish for every feature imaginable.

I don't think it's easy to cater to both of these at the same time, with the same product, while still keeping costs down.

I believe wiim attracts two vastly different audiences.

The "normal" people who just want a one and done option that's easy to use.
Then there's the "audiophile" ones, who are more common on these forums, who wish for every feature imaginable.

I don't think it's easy to cater to both of these at the same time, with the same product, while still keeping costs down.
"ultra""" = fantasy box..."and is cheap because wiim pleaaaaaseee "...
;-)
"l espoir fait vivre"...
,-)

All this cheap "Pro Studio Monitors" need to define Pro, studio and monitor ;-)
Another situation where a straight correlation between price and performance is obvious. For example: I heard this Adam T7 in Musicstore Cologne and it was simply horrible. Needs a clear view on what is wanted.

I wonder what the ideal active bookshelf speakers for the Ultra would be? I am considering switching my main setup (Denon df107 amp, Dali Lektor 2's) and have the Ultra be my only "amp", also feeding my turntable into it and using the sub out to connect my sub. I know that this will require active speakers, which in themselves are not hard to find. It is however a bit hard to find ones that are just speakers and do not have all the streaming capabilites built in already. It seems the only options are really high end speakers. I am looking for something along the lines of my Dali's just active.

Recommended speakers from WiiM.
(Model unknown)🤣
Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-17-44-745_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Recommended speakers from me. 😊
(Focal Shape Twin)
Screenshot_2024-04-22-19-18-26-040_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

if it were so great...there wouldn't be so many...different ones...with quite different renderings...such competition between them etc ;-)
listening to such speakers " modest home studio" on a wall in a pro shop makes this clear in a few moments ;-)
As usual, I'm struggling to understand what you're saying. ;-)

Something like "all small active studio monitors sound bad"?

Reactions: DRC
As usual, I'm struggling to understand what you're saying. ;-)

Something like "all small active studio monitors sound bad"?
often... ;-)
there is also a range effect, (and the profusion of very affordable models doesn't help) and it's really not for nothing...nothing original...
(then we can recommend the classic small psi A14 or 17. but will be almost times 10 in price... ;-) )

and you have to want this kind of thing, cables etc in your interior if not a dedicated room like in a semi or professional ;-)

Recommended speakers from WiiM.
(Model unknown)🤣
View attachment 6700

Recommended speakers from me. 😊
(Focal Shape Twin)
View attachment 6701
you're already moving upmarket a little and focal * has taken care of the appearance so that it eventually becomes "general public"..not crazy ;-)

*and like dynaudio..historic HP manufacturers know a little more about the subject ;-)
(I just invite each other to listen to this kind of wall of speakers like that, paying very, very careful attention...those which stand out and strike the mind are generally the least balanced...a basic principle to stand out from the crowd and sell in "quick listen"... a great classic ;-))

and a nice off-topic... hihi

Last edited:
Given it looks like it’s going to be formally announced on May 9th with availability within Q2, I’d say the chance of changing the design and case to accommodate balanced outputs is infinitesimal

If you read my post again, that’s not what I’ve asked for.

I’ve suggested the main L&R signal (post high pass filter) be able to be passed to an external DAC digitally, as opposed to over analogue, the DAC being one with balanced outputs.

I’ve re-worded for clarity, but I appreciate it’s a bit complicated.

Bottom line:

- Ultra received digital signal, and does all room correction, PEQ, and high/low pass filtering for the sub in the digital domain.
- The Ultra’s DAC decodes the output to the sub out.
- The Ultra’s DAC doesn’t decode the high-passed L&R outs. Instead. It keeps them in the digital domain, and passed them over one of the digital outs to a DAC.
- The external DAC has balanced outs. Use these for a power amp/powered speakers with balanced inputs.

Does that make any more sense?

Last edited:
I truly don't know why people are asking for XLR outputs without even knowing what the DAC chip and implementation is.

I truly don't know why people are asking for XLR outputs without even knowing what the DAC chip and implementation is.

I can take or leave it. But your comments don’t make a lot of sense. Balanced outs - if you believe are a good thing - are a good thing irrespective of the DAC chip.

In addition, the DAC implementation on the Pro Plus was transparent, so there’s a lot of not unreasonable assumption that this will be, too.

Well given you mentioned "balanced outs" four times in that comment and one reference to "this option", you can perhaps understand my misinterpretation ;)

I’ll let you off. 🤣

Yeah, clumsily worded by me. But it’s quite a complex thing to describe. Hopefully easier to implement.

I can take or leave it. But your comments don’t make a lot of sense. Balanced outs - if you believe are a good thing - are a good thing irrespective of the DAC chip.

In addition, the DAC implementation on the Pro Plus was transparent, so there’s a lot of not unreasonable assumption that this will be, too.
They make sense to me. XLR is used in higher end amplifiers. Only when the DAC in the Ultra is of at least the same level, I would use it. Otherwise I would not want it in the chain

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with striving for great quality at a good price.

I doubt WiiM would want to produce a product and market it as “pretty cr*p, but easy to use”
There isn't however when we get people going on about requests that aren't part of the WiiM Ultra, and really aren't necessary as I can't think of a single Amp that doesn't have RCA, and can't reach 90db with a 2v input, yet we've had 40 pages of conversation about everything the Ultra isn't rather than what it is.

I would love to know if the Ultra will be a useful pre-amp as connecting it direct to a power amp is a goal I have.

Last edited:
There isn't however when we get people going on about requests that aren't part of the WiiM Ultra, and really aren't necessary as I can't think of a single Amp that doesn't have RCA, and can't reach 90db with a 2v input, yet we've had 40 pages of conversation about everything the Ultra isn't rather than what it is.

I would love to know if the Ultra will be a useful pre-amp as connecting it direct to a power amp is a goal I have.
Not everything what you can't think does not exist. One of a bunch of examples
https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-master-3a-balanced-pure-class-a-power-amplifier-xlr-acss/
especially for power amps! This mentioned one isn't even really expensive.
But I bet your argument will be something like "no one will couple a cheap WiiM with such an amp". But latest here you are wrong. The WiiMs are so good that they can handle environment far above their prices. And there are far more people who know that and do so than you can most likely imagine. Nix für ungut ;-)

Right on the dot... (y)
Instead of ranting on what it doesn't have, can someone shed some light on the price of the Ultra, if there's any "inside" info about that?
Given Linkplay's track record and the target group of clients, can we expect this Ultra device to be as affordable as their previous devices were?
I think that will prove to be one of the most important aspects of the Ultra...

Right on the dot... (y)
Instead of ranting on what it doesn't have, can someone shed some light on the price of the Ultra, if there's any "inside" info about that?
Given Linkplay's track record and the target group of clients, can we expect this Ultra device to be as affordable as their previous devices were?
I think that will prove to be one of the most important aspects of the Ultra...
Been asked a few times already, but there's been no info on pricing at all

Back