WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy with WiiM Pro Plus. For the Ultra version I would appreciate a display with information about the quality of the stream (or digital input), coax input, second optical input. Phono input is not necessary, anyway its quality will not reach the discrete circuits of other preamps. Maybe an HDMI input and output would be nice (for example, to connect to Apple TV), but that's not important anymore. Subwoofer output, WiFi 6/6E and 1Gbit LAN. And definitely a better quality power supply (transformer).
Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-49344

I'm perfectly happy with WiiM Pro Plus. For the Ultra version I would appreciate a display with information about the quality of the stream (or digital input), coax input, second optical input. Phono input is not necessary, anyway its quality will not reach the discrete circuits of other preamps. Maybe an HDMI input and output would be nice (for example, to connect to Apple TV), but that's not important anymore. WiFi 6/6E and 1Gbit LAN. And definitely a better quality power supply (transformer).

Reasonable questions. Difficult to know where to start. At the end?

Power supply won’t make a difference.

Okay, back to the start. At the moment we have no idea what will be on the display, so wait and see.

On a coax input, see my previous comments - what for, exactly? Interested to hear why it’ll be needed. I mean fair enough, if you have an external CD player, mini disk player, DAT player. I mean you could argue for 10 digital inputs if you like, and yes there’ll definitely be someone who needs that. But I think there are 5 digital ins (streaming, optical, HDMI, USB, Bluetooth) and that’ll be enough for 95% of people. Maybe 99%.

Phono not necessary? If you want to use your own pre amp you can, I suppose.

Wi-fi? I bet it’ll be good enough for almost everybody, and there’s ethernet if it isn’t. Some cases there might be an issue, I suppose.

That’s a pretty good post. It demonstrates just how well-spaced this thing is, and how far you have to dig to try to find something to complain about.

Nothing is perfect.

Some digital streamers don’t have all the music services.

Or PEQ.

Or room correction.

Or a sub out.

Or bass management if they do.

Or a transparent DAC, which this almost certainly will.

Or HDMI in.

Or USB.

As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Meanwhile, I’ve heard Lionel Messi is a shocking goalkeeper.

I'm perfectly happy with WiiM Pro Plus. For the Ultra version I would appreciate a display with information about the quality of the stream (or digital input), coax input, second optical input. Phono input is not necessary, anyway its quality will not reach the discrete circuits of other preamps. Maybe an HDMI input and output would be nice (for example, to connect to Apple TV), but that's not important anymore. Subwoofer output, WiFi 6/6E and 1Gbit LAN. And definitely a better quality power supply (transformer).
It has an internal power supply so no way of upgrading it. (Other than power cables/conditioners/regenerators)

Why would you need a Gbit LAN interface on a streamer that might handle 8Mbps tops?

What purpose do the XLR-out serve, if "No Internal DAC"?? Without the DAC, there is no Analog output (if any Analog inputs, they would only go straight-through - might as well save the pair of patch cables). Without the DAC, there is no EQ / PEQ or Volume Management. So, while it might save a few $$ on parts, the pricing pressure would be upwards due to so little utility as to have few/none buyers. (Now if you want LinkPlay to engineer a one-off for you at Full Cost-plus - just email them...)
I am using the WIim Pro as a digital streamer only, I am using EQ sometimes, which also works on the digital outputs.
Hopefully with the Ultra the EQ will also work on the USB output.
USB output sometimes gives a better sound quality than SPDIF or AES/EBU, because the clock is controlled by the DAC.

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

View attachment 6602
View attachment 6604

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.
Interesting !
Price ?

Hi everyone, we just posted this poll to get your thoughts and opinion on the WiiM Ultra launch price and would love to hear from you!

WiiM Team

The Pro sells for $140. A Pro with USB out - $150.

For those who want a streamer only the Pro is ok. It needs a USB that’s all.

For those who want a streamer and a basic analog preamp with a great headphone amp just add a Schiit Magni+. Total (Pro and Magni) under $290.

Last edited:
The Pro sells for $140. A Pro with USB out - $150.

For those who want a streamer only the Pro is ok. It needs a USB that’s all.

For those who want a streamer and a basic analog preamp with a great headphone amp just add a Schiit Magni+. Total (Pro and Magni) under $290.
Arguably off topic for this thread which is a poll for the Ultra as presented. Happy to move it to the main Ultra thread if you wish

Arguably off topic for this thread which is a poll for the Ultra as presented. Happy to move it to the main Ultra thread if you wish
No problem but it is pertinent as the Ultra was announced as the streamer with a usb port long asked by Pro users…

Back