WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
The Pro sells for $140. A Pro with USB out - $150.

For those who want a streamer only the Pro is ok. It needs a USB that’s all.

For those who want a streamer and a basic analog preamp with a great headphone amp just add a Schiit Magni+. Total (Pro and Magni) under $290.
What about someone who wants a streamer with a wealth of features inc. PEQ and bass management, a more than competent DAC, sub out, HDMI Arc in and the ability to act as a file server?

Any chance of Bluetooth transmission? Even just SBC. The Echo Link has this. So too does the Bluesound NODE, which supports AptX HD transmit & receive. The Arylic BP50, although not a network streamer, also supports AptX AD TX/RX. Useful for BT headphones and speakers, etc.

Any chance of Bluetooth transmission? Even just SBC. The Echo Link has this. So too does the Bluesound NODE, which supports AptX HD transmit & receive. The Arylic BP50, although not a network streamer, also supports AptX AD TX/RX. Useful for BT headphones and speakers, etc.
All of the current line up of Wiim products have this feature, so I'd be very surprised if the Ultra doesn't.

Not everything what you can't think does not exist. One of a bunch of examples
https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-master-3a-balanced-pure-class-a-power-amplifier-xlr-acss/
especially for power amps! This mentioned one isn't even really expensive.
But I bet your argument will be something like "no one will couple a cheap WiiM with such an amp". But latest here you are wrong. The WiiMs are so good that they can handle environment far above their prices. And there are far more people who know that and do so than you can most likely imagine. Nix für ungut ;-)
My Pro plus is currently coupled to a bryston bha-1 headphone amp. Soon I'll have a Pro plus or Ultra hooked up to a bha-1 as preamp into a bryston 3B cubed power amp. Both of these amps are decent and slightly more expensive than the Wiim streamers.

I'm perfectly happy with WiiM Pro Plus. For the Ultra version I would appreciate a display with information about the quality of the stream (or digital input), coax input, second optical input. Phono input is not necessary, anyway its quality will not reach the discrete circuits of other preamps. Maybe an HDMI input and output would be nice (for example, to connect to Apple TV), but that's not important anymore. Subwoofer output, WiFi 6/6E and 1Gbit LAN. And definitely a better quality power supply (transformer).
Fast Ethernet is more enough oh wait future proofing you want 10Gbit.

The Ultra comes with Bluetooth 5.3 and LE AUDIO support. This allows for multi-stream.

It also supports LC3, which is the standard codec of LE AUDIO.

However, I don't know if it supports the high-resolution codec LC3 Plus. I asked support before, but there was no response, so it may not be available.

I don't use WiiM's Bluetooth, but I was surprised to learn that there are many Bluetooth users through this forum. That's why I'm interested in the Bluetooth capabilities of Ultra.

@WiiM Support, @WiiM Team,
Is there any information that can be disclosed about LE AUDIO at this stage?

I hope it’s no more than 10” wide. That will fit perfectly in the space between my CD transport and turntable. It’s important to me lol!

First of all, let me say that I really like your system (visible from your signature). I have switched from Denon DRA-F102/DCD-F102/WiiM Mini to the WiiM Amp, and I presume that your system sounds even better than mine did.

Regarding the V3 stereo, if YT reviewers are to be believed, it is not on the same level as the V3 Mono - consensus seams to be that the sound quality of the Mono is higher than the stereo variant. YToobers also seam to have a similar stand about the ZA3 (stereo) compared to V3 Mono.

Anyway, I kinda like the idea of having two separate amps besides my source :)
Having watched all the YT reviews of the V3 Mono that I could find, and reading some, I must say that the V3 Mono does seem like the right choice paired with the uUtra.

I just wonder what the chances are of Fosi releasing two V3 Mono's in one enclosure in the future? If such a thing is unlikely to ever appear, I might just go for the 2*V3 Mono with a single 48V10A power supply bundle in the kickstarter. However, I am in no hurry, so if we can expect two V3 Mono's in one enclosure in the near future, I will probably hold off for now.

And something entirely different - Do the Fosis ship with EU power plugs (sorry for the this entry being so heavy on the non-Wiim-ish ;)).

Having watched all the YT reviews of the V3 Mono that I could find, and reading some, I must say that the V3 Mono does seem like the right choice paired with the uUtra.

I just wonder what the chances are of Fosi releasing two V3 Mono's in one enclosure in the future? If such a thing is unlikely to ever appear, I might just go for the 2*V3 Mono with a single 48V10A power supply bundle in the kickstarter. However, I am in no hurry, so if we can expect two V3 Mono's in one enclosure in the near future, I will probably hold off for now.

And something entirely different - Do the Fosis ship with EU power plugs (sorry for the this entry being so heavy on the non-Wiim-ish ;)).
Nothing to stop you 3d printing an enclosure for both of them :)

Wiim Ultra with the monoblocks does seem an exciting idea!

So the price range in the options given range from £349 to £449. I'd say that's significantly less than the the vast majority of guesses here.

The lowest guess I've seen was (I think) £300 (happy to be corrected), and that was rare, rather than typical. The highest I think was £800.

My own limit was £400 or maybe a bit more, so I'm going to be pretty happy, whichever way you look at it.

So the price range in the options given range from £349 to £449. I'd say that's significantly less than the the vast majority of guesses here.

The lowest guess I've seen was (I think) £300 (happy to be corrected), and that was rare, rather than typical. The highest I think was £800.

My own limit was £400 or maybe a bit more, so I'm going to be pretty happy, whichever way you look at it.
My budget was £400-£500 so more than happy if it comes in at the lower end 😄

The other option, if you don't require as many watts, is the Topping PA5 II (or the PA5 II plus for a bit more power than the vanilla version).

Measures a bit better than the Fosi, just not as powerful. But if you only have average (or smaller) bookshelf speakers in a small room, or nearfield, and have a subwoofer (note the Ultra’s sub out) so your speakers won’t require as much beef, why waste money. The vanilla PA5 II is only £250.

Last edited:
People keep talking about Fosi V3 monoblock. Then I keep thinking about xlr output.... let's make a no rca, xlr only version lol. If so, I will get one though I really don't need a screen (I may cover the screen with a thick paper). Anyway, Ultra will be a huge hit!

Back