WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
My mono block amp would shine with ultra. I wish there’s less version of ultra that has no analog in and no display for those who don’t use them for less money.

I have been incredibly impressed with the Pro Plus, I would be even more in awe if the ‘Ultra’ could incorporate AES on XLR ‘outs’ attenuating a digital output is quite rare, RME ADI ‘pro’ for one this feature is extremely useful with contemporary active loudspeakers. tabletop miniatures
Keith
It's great to hear that you've been impressed with the Pro Plus!

Last edited:
There is, it's called the PRO plus, feel free to ignore the analog in.
I have pro in fact I did connect it directly to amp and use it as preamp but sound wasn’t good. There was distinct difference in my ear between the volume control on wiim amp and pro. The texture on wiim amp were all consistent on any range. The pro will just become audible at close to its maximum setting.

I voted for the lowest price option as i have no use for the dac/analogue output... i am mainly interested in the streaming quality of the digital output.
If it is not better than the one of Pro or Pro Plus, the Ultra is not of interest for me... maybe a lot of other users with high quality dacs or amplifiers with integrated digital conversion share my opinion.
A small display and a mediocre phono input is the last thing i expect in such a product...
For me Ultra should stand for high performance!
How can the digital output be any better than the Pro or Pro Plus?
The digital output is bit perfect.

Waveform of the spdif signal can be better or worse. Related jitter can be lower or higher.
Jitter already a non issue with Pro and Pro Plus and the waveform can't be better than bit-perfect, surely? If what comes out is bit perfect, there is nothing missing in terms of music and there are no other issues with the digital output of the Pro/Plus

Waveform of the spdif signal can be better or worse. Related jitter can be lower or higher.
Even a less than perfect waveform will be interpreted by your external DAC as a perfect 0 or 1. That is the advantage of digital transmission. I don't believe that there is any better or worse.

Jitter already a non issue with Pro and Pro Plus
It depends on the receiver capabilities with jitter suppression.

and the waveform can't be better than bit-perfect, surely? If what comes out is bit perfect, there is nothing missing in terms of music and there are no other issues with the digital output of the Pro/Plus
Looks like you think that the spdif transmission contains only audio data, in PCM form presumably, and it has a real digital form of perfect, rectangular pulses. Well, you are wrong.

It depends on the receiver capabilities with jitter suppression.

Looks like you think that the spdif transmission contains only audio data, in PCM form presumably, and it has a real digital form of perfect, rectangular pulses. Well, you are wrong.
That's an awfully presumptuous statement and rather rude as well.

I voted for the lowest price option as i have no use for the dac/analogue output... i am mainly interested in the streaming quality of the digital output.
If it is not better than the one of Pro or Pro Plus, the Ultra is not of interest for me... maybe a lot of other users with high quality dacs or amplifiers with integrated digital conversion share my opinion.
A small display and a mediocre phono input is the last thing i expect in such a product...
For me Ultra should stand for high performance!
The existing ones are bit perfect, I don't understand what else you expect....

Back