WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
My AVR and DACs have tiny displays which are rarely used, but they are still useful and I would certainly rather have them than not.
I can't see my AVR display from my listening position, but I occasionally use it to visually confirm settings etc. I can do this via an app if I wish, but sometimes it is just as easy to use the front panel.
With 2 of my DACs the displays are tiny, but I can still confirm volume level, stream quality etc from 12 feet away and they also allow me to access menus and settings if I don't have the remote to hand.
If the Ultra were only a streamer, then I could see the argument with it being a bit unnecessary, but the Ultra will be a lot more than that. So while I think it would still be great without a screen, the screen adds another layer of usability and is a definite plus.

P.S. whilst I'm not a huge fan of VU meters, I do love a good FFT spectrum display.

My AVR and DACs have tiny displays which are rarely used, but they are still useful and I would certainly rather have them than not.
I can't see my AVR display from my listening position, but I occasionally use it to visually confirm settings etc. I can do this via an app if I wish, but sometimes it is just as easy to use the front panel.
With 2 of my DACs the displays are tiny, but I can still confirm volume level, stream quality etc from 12 feet away and they also allow me to access menus and settings if I don't have the remote to hand.
If the Ultra were only a streamer, then I could see the argument with it being a bit unnecessary, but the Ultra will be a lot more than that. So while I think it would still be great without a screen, the screen adds another layer of usability and is a definite plus.

P.S. whilst I'm not a huge fan of VU meters, I do love a good FFT spectrum display.

Yeah, I suppose we still don’t know what the display is going to display.

I mean it could just be basic album are and a little text. It it could be a broad, user-choice affair, with the option of VUs, spectrum, etc.

Yeah, I suppose we still don’t know what the display is going to display.

I mean it could just be basic album are and a little text. It it could be a broad, user-choice affair, with the option of VUs, spectrum, etc.
Even if it just displayed the volume, input/output etc it would be very useful for me personally as my better half (and other technophobes) will likely be using it more than me and some way of confirming basic settings without having to use a smartphone app would be great.

Still asking myself how the odds at William Hill or Ladbrokes are? Can the guys from the UK have a look? My VPN doesn't allow ;-)

This is a render of the product, it doesn't explain anything about how the screen will be used other than a rendition of how it might be used.
Well I guess WIIM will also come with a camera door bell then so you can see who's ringing on the display.

I personally wait the advanced version of wiim amp much more interesting than the super advanced version of the streamer WIIM Ultra. I'm waiting from Linkplay for their version of the Nad C700. I think that buyers who focus not just on digital but on streaming digital do not need a phono preamplifier, but a headphone output and a display - Yes! Display for animation, parameters of the played audio or cover (a dream from my youth - bar indicators). I primarily miss these two things. As another step, this is a DAC with support for all modern formats including MQA and M2 drive.

Just a thought, would WiiM have been better off calling the Ultra the WiiM Pre? It might help with expectations based on the name in that Ultra may set the bar very high in people’s mind.

Just a thought, would WiiM have been better off calling the Ultra the WiiM Pre? It might help with expectations based on the name in that Ultra may set the bar very high in people’s mind.
It's not a pre-amp though, so not really, in my opinion

If it's actually a pre-amp.
Or has pre-amp functionality...
If they don't expect to make a product above the ultra, then the current naming is fine as well.

Considering they've already got a "pro" and a "pro plus" there could be an ultra plus at some point.

I disagree. It’s certainly a preamp albeit in the digital domain. It switches sources and allows you change the volume gain and even has a phono input which seems sure like a preamp to me.
If it can connect directly to a power amp and adjust volume then yes it's a (digitial) preamp.

Back