Concrete music/songs to discover subtle differences in sound

alpha_zulu

Major Contributor
If you want to compare different DACs, cables, power supplies, etc. with each other: Do you have any specific songs or pieces of music where you can ‘easily’ hear the differences? I'm asking here in the forum because there seem to be a lot of ‘golden ears’ here. So I'm hoping for one or two practical recommendations.
What I am specifically not looking for is a list of audiophile recordings, as I know many of them. I'm more looking for recommendations like: ‘listen to the first 20 seconds of song x and you'll hear that ...’. Something like this. (Or is my approach to this completely wrong?)

If you want to compare different DACs, cables, power supplies, etc. with each other: Do you have any specific songs or pieces of music where you can ‘easily’ hear the differences? I'm asking here in the forum because there seem to be a lot of ‘golden ears’ here. So I'm hoping for one or two practical recommendations.
What I am specifically not looking for is a list of audiophile recordings, as I know many of them. I'm more looking for recommendations like: ‘listen to the first 20 seconds of song x and you'll hear that ...’. Something like this. (Or is my approach to this completely wrong?)
Different strokes and all that, I reckon!
For me, the switching between sources, dacs etc. is kind of self fulfilling - I know it's been switched, so I'm almost expecting something to be different.
Yes, not double blind abx blah blah blah, but even then you know/expect/anticipate something is being changed.
So, I usually just live with a particular setup for a while, and if in general it's not as engaging as I think I remember it being then it's not as good.

About 2 mins into Concierto de Aranjuez on Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain a Xylophone is clearly heard in the left channel which returns at various other points during the track. How clearly you can hear it when it returns is, for me, a good indicator of the quality of your equipment.

whathifi have some playlists for testing your system. also if you're on qobuz a lot of industry partners have playlists up - like roon, ferrum audio, ifi, etc. those have some nice test tracks.
also just playing songs that you are familiar with is a good place to start... 🤷‍♂️

frequency sweeps - such as those present in some burn-in CDs also can be useful - you can detect room modes and other acoustic anomalies by ear this way. 🤔

Always use "the first layer" by Kevin penkin.
It's got a wide soundsstage and a lot of different sounds.
The bass that sets in partway through is easy to use for dialing in the system.

Pink Floyd Darkside album. There are lots of little twists and turns, left channel to right channel sweeps, voices in the background.

I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years. I've been over the edge for yonks, been working with bands so long. I think 'Crikey'.
— Chris Adamson, band road crew and technician
I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad.
— Gerry O'Driscoll, Abbey Road Studios doorman

For me, the switching between sources, dacs etc. is kind of self fulfilling - I know it's been switched, so I'm almost expecting something to be different.
Yes, not double blind abx blah blah blah, but even then you know/expect/anticipate something is being changed.
So, I usually just live with a particular setup for a while, and if in general it's not as engaging as I think I remember it being then it's not as good.

I share your opinion and generally do the same.

What is currently bothering me: Sometimes I use the DAC of my amplifier, sometimes that of the WiiM Pro Plus. And I really don't hear any difference, although the WiiM DAC should be much newer, more modern and therefore better. Both sound very good on my system. I've listened to many audiophile recordings in comparison and wonder why the DAC in the Marantz doesn't sound worse. It's a Cirrus Logic CS4398, which is probably about 10 years older. Or are the two in the same league and I can't hear any differences because there are none?

What is currently bothering me: Sometimes I use the DAC of my amplifier, sometimes that of the WiiM Pro Plus. And I really don't hear any difference, although the WiiM DAC should be much newer, more modern and therefore better. Both sound very good on my system. I've listened to many audiophile recordings in comparison and wonder why the DAC in the Marantz doesn't sound worse. It's a Cirrus Logic CS4398, which is probably about 10 years older. Or are the two in the same league and I can't hear any differences because there are none?
Audible differences related to different DACs are very often the initial ignition for a kind of religious wars in our forums ;-)
Absolutely with you, I am absolutely not able to hear differences between todays DACs! Since yesterday I parted my Pro from my (quite expensive) DAC and from now I am using the internal DAC from a new different amp I will use for streaming solely. Two possibilities: 1. My ears are not able or 2. there is no difference. So, yes, I say too, there are not existent.

I’m pretty much of that mind too. My hearing/auditory memory or whatever you want to call it isn’t sharp enough to discern slight changes, so even if you gave me whatever test you wanted I bet if I did it a second time around there’d be a different result. Like you I prefer (frankly whenever I’m bothered) to try something different for a week or so, then go back to what I had previously for another spell. If I hanker for what the change was meant to being me the week before, I’ll switch to it and keep it otherwise I’ll just continue with what I originally had.

No doubt that’ll get me drummed out of the Hi fi brownies ;)

When I test out a specific setup after a system change I always play the following tracks. ( in this order )
1: Neil Young- Harvest- track one: Out of the Weekend ( great for finetuning bass output and levels)
2: Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene - track four: Oxygene pt IV.
3: Dire Straits - On Every Street - track six - You and Your Friend
4: Diana Krall - Live in Paris - track six - I’ve got you under my Skin
5: Melody Gardot - Sunset in The Blue - track nine - From Paris with Love

When it all sounds good with these tracks I am a happy camper.

Personally I think most mortals aren’t capable of hearing notable differences between cables, power supplies , interconnects etc…
Dac’s and or amplifiers have a more noticeable impact and can be heard much easier, specially the latter.

I think the room and speaker setup in conjunction with your listening position make up for most of
Audible improvements you wish to achieve. As a wise man said: Music lovers enjoy listening to music, Audiophiles love listening to their equipment.😜

Best regards,
Martin.

Sometimes bothers me too, but I think mainy 'cos many magazines, reviewers etc. tell me it ought to...

I only use music that I really like, and know extremely well.

Back