Optical cables dont fit

jensende

Hi

I have now two Wiim Minis and they dont accept a bit more expensive oprical cables the simply just fall out and dont snap in to place.

I have now tried with three different ones:

Supra Zac
Chord C-lite optical
Atlas Element Optical

None of these snap in to place (the work with the rest of the equipment at home).

The supplied cable obibously works fine but I would like to have a better optical cable.

What do you guys use? suggest? Is there a high quality optical cable that fits ?

Regards
Jens

I'm using an Audioquest carbon and I do get better performance
.. an optical cable which costs more than the WiiM Mini? :eek:

Have you done any measurements? If you can reach higher bitrates and/or sample rates with that cable, your other cables were simply broken or faulty to begin with.

Last edited:
.. an optical cable which costs more than the WiiM Mini? :eek:

Have you done any measurements? If you can reach higher bitrates and/or sample rates with that cable, your other cables were simply broken or faulty to begin with.
Although I wouldn’t go up to over 60 euros for an optical (1 meter) there are explanations for why optical cable properties can affect sound. Now if you believe that manufacturers want to ridicule themselves and devote time and research on cables that is something else…

Although I wouldn’t go up to over 60 euros for an optical (1 meter) there are explanations for why optical cable properties can affect sound. Now if you believe that manufacturers want to ridicule themselves and devote time and research on cables that is something else…
So how such cables can affect sound?

Instead of just laughing at my comment, could you elaborate what kind of improvement you're getting @BMoreJazz? No doubt it'll just work as it should of course! Heck, my next investment will probably be some fancier optical cables as well - more durable & flexible ones especially.
the most important thing to be sure about, should be that the manufacturers don't want to ridicule the buyers...
The Audioquest cable is a good example 🤡

They advertise the it as:
- "Low-Jitter" so it suffers from less timing errors. This is nonsense: light travels at the same, constant speed through a €3 or a €130 cable. Timing & jitter errors are mostly problems with the DAC itself and according to Amir at ASR it's more of an issue with many over-engineered 3K boutique DAC's rather than the great price-performance options from China. (see video)

- "low dispersion" (the bouncing of the light against the inner sides of the cable, so some of the light is traveling a larger distance). As if this would make a difference... We're talking lightspeed over a distance of less than a few meters. And the optical input of the DAC filters out any dispersed, "slower" light (high frequency noise) and will register only the 1's and 0's that are being sent, nothing in-between.

Last edited:
Instead of just laughing at my comment, could you elaborate what kind of improvement you're getting @BMoreJazz? No doubt it'll just work as it should of course! Heck, my next investment will probably be some fancier optical cables as well - more durable & flexible ones especially.

The Audioquest cable is a good example 🤡

They advertise the it as:
- "Low-Jitter" so it suffers from less timing errors. This is nonsense: light travels at the same, constant speed through a €3 or a €130 cable. Timing & jitter errors are mostly problems with the DAC itself and according to Amir at ASR it happens more with the over-engineered 3K boutique DAC's then the great price-performance options from China. (see video)

- "low dispersion" (the bouncing of the light against the inner sides of the cable, so some of the light is traveling a larger distance). As if this would make a difference... We're talking lightspeed over a distance of just a few meters. And the optical input of the DAC filters out any dispersed, "slower" light (high frequency noise) and will register only the 1's and 0's that are being sent, nothing in-between.
Why, you got all the answers. This is one of the situations where if you know you know and if you actually had some hands-on experience and not relying on someone else remarks, you might be in a better position to have an actual discussion.

Why, you got all the answers.
I'll take that as a compliment.

I just don't think it's fair to recommend a €130 cable if you can't provide any additional info or put your finger on the improvement. Guess it was just a matter of time before Pandora's audiophile box was going to be opened 😀

But I'm sure most people on the forum will use common sense and put their money where it counts.

Can't deny it's a sexy looking cable though! Lets hug it out and move on!

Last edited:
So how such cables can affect sound?
Well, I am no expert on the subject. I cannot test the claims of “zero attenuation concept”, “low jitter” etc. But as long as there is a double conversion taking place ( electrical input to light and light to electricity in the output) I sense that materials and construction will play a role. We are hunting details in Hi Fi otherwise we would settle with a Bluetooth speaker .

My main argument remains that if manufacturers are out to deceive you then it would backfire. Claiming that placebo could trick everybody is not a valid argument.

Claiming that current measurement methodology can describe the sound of a device fully would mean that equal measurements between devices would result in equal/same sound, which I very much doubt.

Finally, oversimplifications in hi fi cannot exist.

Well, I am no expert on the subject. I cannot test even the claims of “zero attenuation concept”, “low jitter” etc. But as long as there there is a double conversion taking place ( electrical input to light and light to electricity in the output) I sense that materials and construction will play a role. We are hunting details in Hi Fi otherwise we would settle with a Bluetooth speaker .

My main argument remains that if manufacturers are out to deceive you then it would backfire. Claiming the placebo could trick everybody is not a valid argument.

Finally, oversimplifications in hi fi cannot exist.
Do you think that a binary content of the file will degrade when you read the data from the hard disk into the memory and save it back? There is a kind of conversion involved in it as well.

The big mistake is thinking about digital data directly through the analog form. We have thresholds to distinguish voltage levels. If voltage below 0.5v is a logic zero and above is logic one, it doesn't matter if voltage is 0.7v or 0.8v to still get a correct binary value. If a receiver gets a degraded signal from 0.8v to 0.6v it still can convert it to binary 1. And it will transmit it back on the level 0.8v after conversion from the abstract digital form to the real analog form.

My main argument remains that if manufacturers are out to deceive you then it would backfire.
To be honest, there are so many miracles sold at offensive price, from "stones" to put under device feet to schumann resonators or other things to put over the case or to raise the cables and still no backfire from buyers...
They could sell Nikola Tesla pictures to put inside electronics and many would say that the stereo image is better and basses tight...
Wise man said: "Early reflections kill more than the sword"...

I'll take that as a compliment.

I just don't think it's fair to recommend a €130 cable if you can't provide any additional info or put your finger on the improvement. Guess it was just a matter of time before Pandora's audiophile box was going to be opened 😀

But I'm sure most people on the forum will use common sense and put their money where it counts.

Can't deny it's a sexy looking cable though! Lets hug it out and move on!
Here is the answer. Immediately the gain increased which allowed me to lower the volume. Bass performance increased with bass drum being fuller and clearer. Bass guitar string carried more detail and the separation between the strings was clearer. An increase in clarity in the singers and articulation. Upper frequencies from symbols and snare drum was present. The ability to distinguish the sound of drum brush from the actual sound of the snare drum while playing. The thing that I always like to inform anyone is the Steinway, Yamaha, and Fozoli make some of the best pianos in the world. Even when accurately tuned will still produce a different sound.

I wonder how you can settle for the Mini, it can "only" give you WiFi. What a loss-making risk! The Pro should it be at least. A significant improvement can then also be achieved with the following switch:

I do not understand some discussions, we are in the digital world, save your money and just use solid well-functioning and inexpensive equipment, good speakers etc.. Things are discussed, which can not be perceived by any human ear in this world 😉

Here is the answer. Immediately the gain increased which allowed me to lower the volume. Bass performance increased with bass drum being fuller and clearer. Bass guitar string carried more detail and the separation between the strings was clearer. An increase in clarity in the singers and articulation. Upper frequencies from symbols and snare drum was present. The ability to distinguish the sound of drum brush from the actual sound of the snare drum while playing. The thing that I always like to inform anyone is the Steinway, Yamaha, and Fozoli make some of the best pianos in the world. Even when accurately tuned will still produce a different sound.
maybe it's not the case but i had similar thing, after replacing a faulty fiber that loose connection if moved... ;-)

I wonder how you can settle for the Mini, it can "only" give you WiFi. What a loss-making risk! The Pro should it be at least. A significant improvement can then also be achieved with the following switch:

I do not understand some discussions, we are in the digital world, save your money and just use solid well-functioning and inexpensive equipment, good speakers etc.. Things are discussed, which can not be perceived by any human ear in this world 😉
Haha I saw that thing too.

The guy who recently bought my Raspberry Pi was convinced his music sounded better from usb hard drive than when streaming from his NAS 😛 Maybe it was a good thing I was able to buy it back.. Less headaches for him 😁

It is not meant badly, it is our beautiful hobby and it should bring us fun. I am really happy with two Minis and one Pro. Finally good streaming devices.

Interesting :) who knows I'll give it a try later and make some recordings from my DAC or even straight into an audio interface with optical input. Only if I can safely return it within 30 days. The 'problem' is that in my standard setup, I have 3 digital sources for music (cd, raspberry pi & WiiM Pro) running into a spdif switcher and then into my DAC... so I'd need 4 new cables if i want to do a full upgrade. A bit silly at those prices.

But please, don't compare digital audio cables to acoustic piano's.. their sound relies on so many environmental factors & choice of materials, of course they will all have a signature sound. And that's probably what they're aiming at.

Interesting :) who knows I'll give it a try later and make some recordings from my DAC or even straight into an audio interface with optical input. Only if I can safely return it within 30 days. The 'problem' is that in my standard setup, I have 3 digital sources for music (cd, raspberry pi & WiiM Pro) running into a spdif switcher and then into my DAC... so I'd need 4 new cables if i want to do a full upgrade. A bit silly at those prices.

But please, don't compare digital audio cables to acoustic piano's.. their sound relies on so many environmental factors & choice of materials, of course they will all have a signature sound. And that's probably what they're aiming at.
And that is my point. All equipment has a signature that can be affected by the environment around it.

Back