PEQ talk

What do you mean by doesn’t do anything on the Pro Plus? I can dynamically adjust the PEQ graph on my iPad WiM Home app and clearly hear the difference. I’m using analogue out, using the Pro Plus DAC.
It doesn’t adjust a thing. I have a ticket in and they could reproduce it. I am also using analogue out.

It doesn’t adjust a thing. I have a ticket in and they could reproduce it. I am also using analogue out.
As I say, it does for me on iPadOS 16.7, firmware 4.8.529057, app 2.6.4.23092618.

Re clipping, I use a volume limit setting of 95% to give me 3dB headroom.

As I say, it does for me on iPadOS 16.7, firmware 4.8.529057, app 2.6.4.23092618.

How do you know that’s equivalent to 3db did you measure it?

How do you calculate that 3dB headroom is enough?
What are the levels of your PEQ points?

How do you calculate that 3dB headroom is enough?
What are the levels of your PEQ points?

@onlyoneme tested it here.

And, you can also make simple measurements yourself. You can play a 1kHz signal from the speaker and measure it using a sound level meter or analyzer app.

So, PEQ has finally come on mini...
The four band are just enough to compensate two holes in the very low range due to room node resonances, not fixable without unacceptable sub placement.
To be honest, a fifth band would make a more precise intervention but I don't think I'll go to pro for that...
The bass doesn't became boomy or louder, simply it's more complete in character. Switching back an forth, makes the comparison certain and instantaneous.
The improvement is subtle but very effective, making me convinced about to pursuit Dirac or YPAO correction system in the near future...

Last edited:
I simply assumed (perhaps naively) that it’ll suffice as none of my PEQ points exceed 3dB, nor do I drive my system hard.
Don’t assume. Any track that all ready peaks at 0db can be pushed over. Just because you’re raising certain freq it doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect others. As there is no way to check its clipping in any way I would air on caution and go lower.

I double checked the same eq parameters in Roons peq as it has a clipping indicator. The max gains in my peq were +3 for two freq yet as it’s on two freq close to each other they interact and gain goes way over as it’s accumulative. I needed to lower to -7 in its headroom to prevent clipping.

Wiim need to be able to show its clipping as it’s not always possible to hear it as clearly as you think you would or auto adjust conservatively. I guarantee most users will be clipping using this feature as they have little idea as to what headroom is let alone how much you need to apply to be safe.

I use housecurve app on iPhone to make the readings and it will generate peq values to set but it doesn’t add headroom you have to add that yourself and it’s always more than you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.png
    IMG_2241.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2239.png
    IMG_2239.png
    226 KB · Views: 27
Don’t assume. Any track that all ready peaks at 0db can be pushed over. Just because you’re raising certain freq it doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect others. As there is no way to check its clipping in any way I would air on caution and go lower.

I double checked the same eq parameters in Roons peq as it has a clipping indicator. The max gains in my peq were +3 for two freq yet as it’s on two freq close to each other they interact and gain goes way over as it’s accumulative. I needed to lower to -7 in its headroom to prevent clipping.

Wiim need to be able to show its clipping as it’s not always possible to hear it as clearly as you think you would or auto adjust conservatively. I guarantee most users will be clipping using this feature as they have little idea as to what headroom is let alone how much you need to apply to be safe.

I use housecurve app on iPhone to make the readings and it will generate peq values to set but it doesn’t add headroom you have to add that yourself and it’s always more than you think.
I have an EQ stored which has a peak of +7db at 20hz and another peak of +2db at 2.58khz. When using this I set the volume limiter to 87%, do you think this would be sufficient headroom?

I had the bad idea of wanting to modify, only in the ear, the high medium irritating frequencies of my audio system with the PEC of Wiim Home. It's not smart ... Now I'm really lost (n) !

I had the bad idea of wanting to modify, only in the ear, the high medium irritating frequencies of my audio system with the PEC of Wiim Home. It's not smart ... Now I'm really lost (n) !
The good practice is to get a measurement mic, perform measurements, define a target curve, and only then use parametric EQ to get there.

This is the best tutorial I know of. Instead of generating an automatic EQ, you can open the EQ window and manually create 4 bands (like what WiiM currently supports) and tweak to get as close to your target as possible.

Personally I use a single slope of -0.8dB/octave as a target curve. The end result is lowering gain, not boosting. The first 2 knocking down my room modes (standing waves of the room geometry), and the last 2 to change the tonality of my speakers in mid highs. Between them is a complex add and subtract mess that I chose not to deal with.

image.png

IMG-20230927-WA0030.jpg

Screenshot_20230930_091326_WiiM Home.jpg

I have an EQ stored which has a peak of +7db at 20hz and another peak of +2db at 2.58khz. When using this I set the volume limiter to 87%, do you think this would be sufficient headroom?
Can’t really say it may only clip on certain tracks or at certain points. Without proper DSP tools to tell you it’s clipping, it’s always going to by hit and miss. Some times it’s easy to hear others not. I would not adjust huge amounts using this PEQ as a result of its limitations and adjust to a max of +-3 dB and set it 90 and see how it goes. As I have said what you boost by doesn’t really equate to the headroom needed to prevent clipping and it’s best to just reduce to the curve your after then boost at all.

Can’t really say it may only clip on certain tracks or at certain points. Without proper DSP tools to tell you it’s clipping, it’s always going to by hit and miss. Some times it’s easy to hear others not. I would not adjust huge amounts using this PEQ as a result of its limitations and adjust to a max of +-3 dB and set it 90 and see how it goes. As I have said what you boost by doesn’t really equate to the headroom needed to prevent clipping and it’s best to just reduce to the curve your after then boost at all.
Thank you, I'll give that a go. I agree with the need for a clipping indicator ala Roon etc and also a proper pre-amp gain option. I did request the pre-amp gain option be added in one of the beta threads and Wiim responded very positively, so I'm quite sure it will be implemented in the near future.

Apologies but I'm not following...

What slider are we referring to? I have fixed volume output on and use coax to output to a DAC.

This is what I mean when I said my graph looks wonky and doesn't track my adjustments.
Is it possible that this is not available for iPhone users?

Back