Qobuz Chromecast downsample 192khz to 96khz

To bring this to an end: I do not need Airplay too. All my stuff works without such software. I only wrote about my experience with Chromecast and that the other variations HERE work smooth and stable. I tried Chromecast only because it is available. And for me it failed.

The Chromecast Audio is a device that supports a maximum audio quality of 96Khz/24bit due to the limitation of its SPDIF audio port, which means, the 192Khz/24bit audio resolution must be down-scaled in order to play correctly.

However, the Chromecast Built-in is not a device with that limitation but an app baked inside the Android TV operating system, though it is also available in select AV receivers, speakers, etc.

The problem with the current Chromecast Built-in iteration is that it's still limited to the same audio quality found in the Chromecast Audio (96Khz/24bit) but devices where it is implemented are capable of passing through the 192Khz/24bit audio quality, for example, if I connect an Android TV device to an AV receiver with 192Khz/24bit support, the Chromecast Built-in should play directly that audio quality without down-scaling it, but it doesn't.

======

From the website of Cambridge Audio (as of the time of writing):

We’ve received some recent reports of Chromecast streaming to EVO, CXN100, AXN10 and MXN10 devices running firmware version 133-b-010 or later being limited to a maximum of CD Quality (16 bit / 44.1 kHz) or 48 kHz.

This firmware update upgraded these devices to Cast 2.0, as required and provided by Google and our Cast partners. Cast 2.0 has, however, limited Chromecast’s maximum streaming quality to 48 kHz. This is a limitation of Chromecast’s Cast 2.0 update, rather than an issue caused by our Network Players.

Last edited:

The Chromecast Audio is a device that supports a maximum audio quality of 96Khz/24bit due to the limitation of its SPDIF audio port, which means, the 192Khz/24bit audio resolution must be down-scaled in order to play correctly.

However, the Chromecast Built-in is not a device with that limitation but an app baked inside the Android TV operating system, though it is also available in select AV receivers, speakers, etc.

The problem with the current Chromecast Built-in iteration is that it's still limited to the same audio quality found in the Chromecast Audio (96Khz/24bit) but devices where it is implemented are capable of passing through the 192Khz/24bit audio quality, for example, if I connect an Android TV device to an AV receiver with 192Khz/24bit support, the Chromecast Built-in should play directly that audio quality without down-scaling it, but it doesn't.

======

From the website of Cambridge Audio (as of the time of writing):

We’ve received some recent reports of Chromecast streaming to EVO, CXN100, AXN10 and MXN10 devices running firmware version 133-b-010 or later being limited to a maximum of CD Quality (16 bit / 44.1 kHz) or 48 kHz.

This firmware update upgraded these devices to Cast 2.0, as required and provided by Google and our Cast partners. Cast 2.0 has, however, limited Chromecast’s maximum streaming quality to 48 kHz. This is a limitation of Chromecast’s Cast 2.0 update, rather than an issue caused by our Network Players.
Don't know what point you're making here on a year old thread, but as I confirmed above, WiiM devices (except the Mini) can happily support up to 24/192 using ChromeCast.

Back