Qobuz Connect

Mike in NY

Major Contributor
I'm curious if WiiM will have any official stance for why they have entirely removed Qobuz Connect from the product road map?

How do we go from a Qobuz live stream event one year ago in which it was stated that WiiM would be the first integration partner to offer the Qobuz Connect feature, to a full removal of it from the WiiM road map with zero explanation provided?

WiiM cannot implement something that does not exist, true Qobuz were working on a connect function but it seems to have turned into vapour ware and no mention made at the recent hifi show.

I’d pose that question directly to Qobuz tbh. There was speculation that some imminently expected Qobuz downtime was about the introduction of Connect, but that was quickly stamped on. Similarly, the rumour that they were going to release it at the upcoming Munich Show in May has also been strongly refuted.

I’d guess WiiM are under some sort of NDA and commenting on why they removed it from their roadmap might be in breach of that.

I would consider that only when every last trace of MQA has been vanquished, which might be soon.
I wouldn't bank on it. A few weeks ago I sampled a Genesis playlist and found 20 out of 26 to be MQA. I instantly cancelled that trial subscription.

I think MQA suffered from bad press. It is/was a good way to reduce bandwidth and space, without affect quality.
Nowadays these aspects are became lesser important but I don't think Tidal's residual MQA should be the reason to choice or not.
What most don't realize is that MQA in not lossy compressed on audio bandwidth, it uses less valuable bits from 24 to do compression of ultrasonic part. It also use a proprietary filter with less impulse ringing, in a similar way to those slow minimum phase. Despite its not bit per bit equivalency to a hi-res flac, it does very well and I guess no one can distinguish... I think the 24bit files carrying MQA are the only that made sense. The others at 16bit, loose the size reduction, have less than 16 significative bits (even not a big problem for typical compressed pop songs) keep only custom image filter.
Said this the problem was the mystic aura they wanted give to MQA. .
I choosen Tidal because has far better app than Qobuz...

I’d pose that question directly to Qobuz tbh. There was speculation that some imminently expected Qobuz downtime was about the introduction of Connect, but that was quickly stamped on. Similarly, the rumour that they were going to release it at the upcoming Munich Show in May has also been strongly refuted.

I’d guess WiiM are under some sort of NDA and commenting on why they removed it from their roadmap might be in breach of that.
Thanks for everyone's interest here in Qobuz Connect. Like @Brantome mentioned here, if you're interested in the status of Qobuz Connect, please contact Qobuz directly. We're under an agreement with Qobuz so won't be able to discuss more about it for now.

From David Craff
I understand the impatience surrounding Qobuz Connect and your high expectations. However, it's important to realize that pressure and criticism will not speed up the project. We are fully committed to this project and are working hard to deliver an experience that meets both your expectations and ours, but this takes time. Quality is our top priority, and we will only launch Qobuz Connect when it meets our high standards. To fully focus on the development and quality of Qobuz Connect, I will no longer be commenting on this topic in this forum.

Much like Spotify hifi that was announced years ago that never seen the light of day. With that comment, I would move on and pick tidal with the new plan next month.

I'm on the qobuz club forums, and according to the team - they are still actively working on the connect feature... there are all sorts of rumours going around regarding the release date - but there's nothing definitive yet.
For now I'm personally happy using the WiiM home implementation. It's not the best, mainly because the artist view in WiiM is completely different than the one in the official app. But it does the job...

When I contacted Qobuz about 5 months ago or so , I was told that Qobuz Connect would be implemented in the 2nd quarter of 2024.

That means April-June of this year. We shall see.

I don’t know much like Spotify announcements of hifi many years ago and up to this day there were no hifi. If history tell us anything that if a project keep missing key date it’s likely will not see the light of day.

Hope at least it will be a 'real' connect feature as we know from spotify or tidal - instead of what deezer has delivered with their connect feature....

On club.qobuz.com today, from Jane (Admin/Moderator):
📶 A word about Qobuz Connect: Current priority as always. It’s still too early to give a precise release date for Qobuz Connect, but the club will be the first to be informed with more information when the time comes. Currently, we’re ensuring that the development of our product is fully compliant with our high standards of innovation and quality.

There is a very interesting post 'Tidal = Dead' from 'Dileepa Ranawake' in the Club. I fear linking isn't possible, so those who have access may have a look.
It is not in all aspects what I would sign, but at least some interesting opinions.

I'm curious if WiiM will have any official stance for why they have entirely removed Qobuz Connect from the product road map?

How do we go from a Qobuz live stream event one year ago in which it was stated that WiiM would be the first integration partner to offer the Qobuz Connect feature, to a full removal of it from the WiiM road map with zero explanation provided?
Hi Team,

Because of our non-disclosure agreement with Q, we are unable to disclose details at this time. I appreciate your patience.

Back