Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Absolutely (less the cigar ...).

In particular the WiiM Amp is certainly not the typical choice for desktop listeners, with HDMI ARC, the well made local USB storage support and its general all-in-one approach. The Mini/Pro/Pro Plus could be, but from what I see the desktop crowd is often more into fiddeling with different DACs all the time and the computer or a dedicated NAS/RPi/whatever is the main streaming source.

Also, room correction is hardly an issue with desktop listening, except for improving sub integration, while (manual) EQ is a different story.

And for me that's one more reason why EQ and room correction should be distinct features, both independently configurable and working simultaneously (even if room correction technically works by applying EQ).

Hardly an issue? I’d say ‘less of an issue’ for sure, which is one reason it’s so good.

In some ways, the best, most cost effective way to get top drawer audiophile sound is to use headphones. Low distortion, excellent FR headphones can be bought far more cheaply than the equivalent loudspeaker, and the equivalent amps are cheaper too. And, of course, you completely remove the room from the equation.

But it’s still not for everyone, and even big fans concede that it’s a different listening experience.

Nearfield listening doesn’t remove the room, but it negates it. Speakers distort less at lower volumes, and again amplification doesn’t need to be as meaty.

I actually think there’s been an increase in desk-based loudspeaker systems from the headphone crowd. Just look at how Topping and SMSL, followed by the likes of Fosi Audio have expanded their ranges from desktop DACs and headphone amps to (important bit, this) desktop loudspeaker amps.

I think some people have genuinely missed this. The WiiMs, whilst they can be used in a traditional hi-fi rack set up, are all desktop designs; at the very least desktop friendly.

I genuinely believe some people simply haven’t noticed this, as is evidenced by this thread.

Just stop and think for a minute. Topping. SMSL. Fosi Audio. WiiM. Genelec. These brands have come from nowhere, or from an extremely limited niche, and are now mainstream hi-fi. And they’re all largely nearfield/desktop designs.

Food for thought, I hope.

Same here. Will proudly show my setup once the headache with optimized placement and absorber questions for the turntable is done. Still tricky. I would prefer a single shelf mounted to the wall but I got already a very consequent "NEVER" from Mrs. Fender ;-)
For explanation: The wooden floor is pita for the turntable.

I actually think there’s been an increase in desk-based loudspeaker systems from the headphone crowd. Just look at how Topping and SMSL, followed by the likes of Fosi Audio have expanded their ranges from desktop DACs and headphone amps to (important bit, this) desktop loudspeaker amps.

I think some people have genuinely missed this. The WiiMs, whilst they can be used in a traditional hi-fi rack set up, are all desktop designs; at the very least desktop friendly.

I genuinely believe some people simply haven’t noticed this, as is evidenced by this thread.

Just stop and think for a minute. Topping. SMSL. Fosi Audio. WiiM. Genelec. These brands have come from nowhere, or from an extremely limited niche, and are now mainstream hi-fi. And they’re all largely nearfield/desktop designs.
We already had this discussion, which is way off-topic, before and I still simply disagree.

You believe that some people missed a hot trend (but cannot provide numbers). I believe that you very much overestimate it (but cannot provide numbers). But I did point out clearly why I think WiiM is very different from the likes of Topping, SMSL or Fosi. WiiM are bringing a new level of performance into Convenience-Fi, they attract people who step up from legacy systems of Bluetooth speakers. They don't aim at the tinkerers.

We already had this discussion, which is way off-topic, before and I still simply disagree.

You believe that some people missed a hot trend (but cannot provide numbers). I believe that you very much overestimate it (but cannot provide numbers). But I did point out clearly why I think WiiM is very different from the likes of Topping, SMSL or Fosi. WiiM are bringing a new level of performance into Convenience-Fi, they attract people who step up from legacy systems of Bluetooth speakers. They don't aim at the tinkerers.
I agree that this is getting more off topic, but as usual when there’s a lull while we await the next beta release, something will fill it.

Sometimes moderating is like herding cats ;)

I think that’s a tad harsh.

No, I have no numbers, as in any sort of empirical, weighted poll, that’s true.

But as I’ve said, you’re free to check out any of the ‘what’s my set up’ threads, whether there are plenty of pics.

And my other point, which you’ve perhaps not considered, is the number of products.

I think most of us come from a time where you had a choice of a full-width, hi-fi rack amplifier, or…nothing.

Just look at the Toppings, Fosi Audios, etc., etc., that I mentioned earlier. Bottom line, there’s a plethora of desktop speaker amps out there, often with the highest standards of any amps on sale, where once there was nothing, and where up until very recently there were ‘toys’.

The first of this ilk I think was the PA3 in 2020, and it was pretty poor. We’ve come a long way in a short time.

Maybe mention the elephant in the (corrected) room? Lockdown.

;)I agree that this is getting more off topic, but as usual when there’s a lull while we await the next beta release, something will fill it.

Sometimes moderating is like herding cats ;)

Back on topic :D I still think room correction will be useful with a desktop set up, but it’s good that it’s not quite as important.

As for being on or off topic, it’s a strange internet concept. On the one hand, yes I get it. On the other, have you ever sat in a pub with a bunch of mates and someone’s jumped up and started screaming “YOU’RE OFF TOPIC!”

It’s not how human conversation works. But yes, I take the point.

Back on topic :D I still think room correction will be useful with a desktop set up, but it’s good that it’s not quite as important.

As for being on or off topic, it’s a strange internet concept. On the one hand, yes I get it. On the other, have you ever sat in a pub with a bunch of mates and someone’s jumped up and started screaming “YOU’RE OFF TOPIC!”

Maybe 'you're talking **** - it's your round, bugger off to the bar."
And now I don't know if this is on topic or not, but I use my full size Marantz pm8005 as a monitor stand...
Meow.

And that's why I normally don't get too anal about it in the forum, but it seems we are treading water here a bit until the next beta...

And that's why I normally don't get too anal about it in the forum, but it seems we are treading water here a bit until the next beta...

RC going live to everyone can only be days away, maybe hours.

I think they said the end of the month, and after today we only have a bank holiday and a weekend.

I think it's more relevant in a forum than in a bar, because in the future, people looking for advice will visit threads that are titled to suggest they may contain the advice they seek.

In the pub, conversations are not defined by a title and brief description, rather they meander based upon the needs of the participants.

I think it's more relevant in a forum than in a bar, because in the future, people looking for advice will visit threads that are titled to suggest they may contain the advice they seek.
Yeah, many forget they can use the search bar too..
In the pub, conversations are not defined by a title and brief description, rather they meander based upon the needs of the participants.
or depending on the amount of beer consumed ;)

I agree totally.

Nonetheless, relevance aside, it’s how human conversations naturally go.

I think Brantome is right. We’ll have more focussed discussion after the next update, then it’ll inevitably meander a bit, then the next update, etc.

My Amp just updated to firmware 5.0.612034. I have the testflight beta app. However, no room correction anywhere to be found. Is this a separate update with other fixes?

My Amp just updated to firmware 5.0.612034. I have the testflight beta app. However, no room correction anywhere to be found. Is this a separate update with other fixes?
That's not the beta firmware, that's still 5.0.611253. What you have is a public non-beta release that doesn't have RC. I expect a new RC beta to be released and tested before a public release is made available.

What you have is a public non-beta release that doesn't have RC.
😂 I was so excited to finally try out RC after I saw it updating. Seems like the WiiM will be moved to the bedroom after all so not that big of a deal for HT purposes.

(internal adc etc)

Last edited:
Reading through, plz make just manual10 peq available for those who have less faith in a phone mic. Guess I will just buy a rew compatible mic and manually import peqs to wiim.

Back