Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Can I check, once you’ve run RC, are you stuck with it?

I suspect the answer is no, and that you can turn it off by turning PEQ on, but I thought I’d check.

It’d be nice if you could run it, then try to correct it yourself manually, then run it again using your EQ to check.

In general, it’d be nice to run it to look at your room’s results, but without it applying any EQ until you’ve agreed, and to run it again with any EQ (the WiiM’s or your own) to see to what extent that’s been successful.
I allude to that in points 4&5 in comment #4

I wish I could use Housecurve and compare but my ipad can't meet the ios version requirements.

Considering my lack of knowledge around expected frequency response charts, I thought I'd throw out some of what I see for comment. I'm in a position where RC boosts my low-end (~100hz down) so much it's unusable. Would be nice to understand whether I'm seeing an issue with RC, what I see means my system/room has issues (sounds ok to me) or whether I'm just doing something wrong. The charts below are with SW off, SW at 100hz (my normal) and I have done others at 50hz and 250hz. Results are generally the same, it just varies the roll-off point between ~120 and ~180hz with same resultant EQ that varies between ~100 and ~150hz. The ~12db boost I get for ~100hz and down is unbearable to listen to.

Any thoughts, explanations or suggestions welcome as I have no clue why this chart looks like it does (expected something nearer cc_rider in post #75). Note, I have communicated directly with WiiM folks and passed along this as well as other suggestions/recommendations so not relying on this thread for WiiM team feedback.

View attachment 5889
View attachment 5890
OK thanks, I am not a beta tester, what are the instructions for the positioning of the phone / mic on house curve recommended is hold it Landscape and point bottom Mic (which is selectable) towards the speakers.

OK thanks, I am not a beta tester, what are the instructions for the positioning of the phone / mic on house curve recommended is hold it Landscape and point bottom Mic (which is selectable) towards the speakers.
"Cases for iPhone/iPads can obstruct the microphone. Be sure to aim the microphone at the audio system and ensure it’s not covered up by your hand (ex: Bottom of iPhone)."

A sharp drop below 150 Hz is strange. All my Androids can measure at least 80Hz without dropping.
Strange, indeed, but indicates to me that this very mic is not properly compensated for.

Also, the difference between w/ and w/o sub is surprisingly small. More info on the exact devices used could be helpful, indeed.

Last edited:
Strange, indeed, but indicates to me that this very mic is not properly compensated for.

Also, the difference between w/ and w/o sub is surprisingly small. More info on the exact devices used could be helpful, indeed.

…and yet is seems to be working fine for others.

I suspect some sort of issue elsewhere, rather than quality of mic.

will still be really welcome if we can give the wiim software to process a capture and the rew data which remains the most obvious option.... the external conditions of sound card captures, calibration, etc. will probably always be more relevant...
(https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/reference-manual/exporting.html#:~:text=To export a single measurement,Export, Export measurement as text.)
Even if they don't implement an import (and I'd guess they have higher priority items to deal with), it's barely a few minutes work to enter the data manually and it's a one-time effort into the bargain. That's what I did with the Housecurve results

capture-data rew ...to housecurve? and after housecurve make corrections etc?

that's not my point at all... ;-)
take advantage of a serious capture mode, phase included..then allow the soft housecurve or wiim to process it... make correction etc adoc

that's not my point at all... ;-)
If you're talking about the information REW captures instead, then wouldn't you expect the end results from REW to be the same as those from the WiiM? Some would argue that REW might produce better results given the relative maturity of the software, so surely it's better for WiiM to import the results rather than the raw capture data?

If you're talking about the information REW captures instead, then wouldn't you expect the end results from REW to be the same as those from the WiiM? Some would argue that REW might produce better results given the relative maturity of the software, so surely it's better for WiiM to import the results rather than the raw capture data?
certainly.....
but if capturing is a fairly simple thing with rew... getting to grips with this formidable software is not so easy...
and in the case of importing an mdat file into wiim to be able to integrate in the future the management of phase elements...
we will find an approach with this very "modest" consumer device, rather integrated with just the possibility of taking advantage of serious captures...

in any case approach the Android problem...
or otherwise it will be possible to standardize, with the calibration files, rather correct solutions with the small microphone like the dayton..will probably be a correct compromise (hoping that the audio input stage of the telephones is rather correct)

@eByGum, a measured response down to ~100 Hz in-room (-10 dB, even with the subwoofer enabled) could clearly point to a microphone that's totally and completely not fit for the job.

Even not knowing what subwoofer you have at all, the real in-room response will certainly go a lot deeper. This would fully explain the 12 dB boost when really no boost is needed.

Thanks all for the comments.

@harkpabst
I tend to agree the mic is suspect as all changes to environment still lead to a large, early drop-off

@Steve Woodhouse
Interesting HouseCurve calls out the ipad mic. Maybe they know it is inadequate. Begs the question on effectiveness of using WiiM RC feature considering the mostly crappy mics people will have. May even be appropriate for WiiM to specify a mic pre-req for using RC.
I have a Behringer mic I'm going to try and use....it's USB-A though so getting an adapter to try today.
I'm using WiiM Amp and my sub is connected with single RCA, I usually have 100hz crossover and no level boosting is set. LFE mode off in SVS app and zero phase, positive polarity (all pretty "normal")

@TimWiim
There were no specific beta test instructions. I assumed tests should be done at listening position, but I have also tried right in front of subwoofer and with sub off, right in front of speakers.

If the USB to Lightning adapter I'm getting today works, I'll update on the difference using my Behringer mic.

Cheers,
John

Interesting HouseCurve calls out the ipad mic.
I think they recognise its drawbacks and compensate as they state in their help pages

I have a Behringer mic I'm going to try and use....it's USB-A though so getting an adapter to try today.

---
If the USB to Lightning adapter I'm getting today works, I'll update on the difference using my Behringer mic.
I guess using HouseCurve as WiiM's RC still only supports the internal mic

Back