Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Got the beta up and working....very impressed. Anyone know if the test signals use sub-out? My "measured" chart shows significant drop off from 100hz down yet I have an svs sb1000pro pumping out for gobs of bass. My eq then has significant bass boost so when applied it nearly blows me out the room :)

Update:
Just checked this myself by jumping to the sub and holding it when the test signals starts. It does play through the sub which makes the bass roll off measurement puzzling. The resultant eq is unusable for me with 12db lf boost. Anyone else seeing this? Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, I was blown over after calibration the sub was eq too high that it literally dominate the mid and high. This need to be corrected for setup with sub.

Yes, I was blown over after calibration the sub was eq too high that it literally dominate the mid and high. This need to be corrected for setup with sub.

By the way, what happens if you try the following two methods?

1. Turn off the SW switch in the WiiM app > Run RC > Turn on the SW

2. Bring the SW crossover to 50Hz or less > RC > Revert the crossover

Sorry, this is just for the sake of interest.
Thank you.

Dear WiiM, this RC looks like its target is flat. It’s usually thought that the target should sloped, with about 5dB less at 20Hz than 100Hz.

Will you be introducing custom curves? Because as it stands, if you want a correct slope, this is close to useless.

The B&K (Bruel & Kjaer) target curve is a house curve (a preference-based frequency response curve) used for audio equalization purposes. Here's its key characteristics:

Slope:

The B&K curve exhibits a gradual downward slope across high frequencies, aiming for a natural and balanced sound.
The approximate slope is -0.9 dB per octave between 500 Hz and 20 kHz. This means that for every doubling of frequency in that range, there's a 0.9 dB decrease in amplitude.

Bass Region:

The curve is relatively flat across the bass frequencies, between 20Hz and 200 Hz.

Purpose:

The B&K house curve is designed for music listening in a typical home environment.
It aims to compensate for the natural acoustic properties of rooms, which often tend to boost bass frequencies and can make high frequencies sound less bright.

it's even more clumsy because if it compensates for a drop in sensitivity of a microphone by increasing the frequency etc., or tends to make a "natural" curve flat, rather adapted, a little descending at the listening point..you have lost everything a bit ...
except for proposing target curves, ( and micro correction data integrations) and having control over the corrections applied... it's very clumsy and damaging....

we cannot not have "the hand".
.and it may be interesting to think that this rc is a pre-correction....

( ps would be important to propose for example the correction just on the sub..or to be able to define a correction fr zone...)

all of this is really not a simple subject... I fear that many have not understood it...
the perfect solution in one click.... not really...
and quite often except in the bass, ends up being preferred "without correction"...
the irony, the less we need it, the better it works...but...what's the point then...
hihi

Last edited:
Implementation with cheap Dayton imm6 which you can load the cal files for your specific mic downloading the text file from the website of Dayton mitigates the problem of overcompensation of frequencies for iPhone mics. Unless it can be refined per specific mic of each iPhone model

I could be wrong, but I feel sure one of the official WiiM reps here posted a while ago to say the RC/PEQ feature would be flexible, allowing the user to allocate how many bands went into RC, and how many were left for the user’s own purposes.

Did I just imagine that? If not, I presume it’ll come to us sooner or later.

When 10-band manual PEQ becomes available, it will be possible to run RC, write down all correction from 300Hz down, turn RC off, then enter those you’ve written down manually. A bit of a pain, but it looks like a 10 minute job.

Implementation with cheap Dayton imm6 which you can load the cal files for your specific mic downloading the text file from the website of Dayton mitigates the problem of overcompensation of frequencies for iPhone mics. Unless it can be refined per specific mic of each iPhone model
I know I have a few microphones like this ;-)
(for everyday use...measurements and calibration at 90 degrees can be practical)

Ran on my setup. Then played some pink noise from a test album on Tidal. While listening, after room correction, I switched EQ flat on. There was a distinct difference in sound, so it’s clearly changing the response. Would be nice to be able to switch back and forth while playing music to compare, but switching the EQ from flat to off made no difference, so I assume the room EQ is destroyed once EQ is turned on.

Anyway, very subtle differences seen on the RME’s spectrum display. Sorry about the crappy focus.

With room correction

View attachment 5726

EQ off
View attachment 5725

View attachment 5727

Clear room mode at 100Hz, which RC tries to fix (hint - you can’t), but by its own estimate, it won’t work.

So why does it bother with it?

As expressed in the post header, this thread is for user testing experience of the Room Correction beta. While WiiM appear to be monitoring the thread, it’s essential that those who got the beta firmware report issues thru the app as WiiM need direct feedback to correct any bugs users are experiencing.

I appreciate that part of users actually testing the beta firmware is for them to comment on how the current implementation could be improved, but let’s not lose focus on testing what we do have and let WiiM know directly thru the app of any bugs there too.

(ps we always come back to it and again...there remains the problem of level management in the event of a significant positive correction in the areas of the fr "with level"..is it now supported with this "auto" mode)

As expressed in the post header, this thread is for user testing experience of the Room Correction beta. While WiiM appear to be monitoring the thread, it’s essential that those who got the beta firmware report issues thru the app as WiiM need direct feedback to correct any bugs users are experiencing.

I appreciate that part of users actually testing the beta firmware is for them to comment on how the current implementation could be improved, but let’s not lose focus on testing what we do have and let WiiM know directly thru the app of any bugs there too.
flattening a curve at the listening point cannot be a good solution (even 70cm I would avoid)... it is necessary to be able to take into account the limits of the capture and propose target curves... it is not a "bug type" ....but essential... ;-)

flattening a curve at the listening point cannot be a good solution (even 70cm I would avoid)... it is necessary to be able to take into account the limits of the capture and propose target curves... it is not a "bug type" ....but essential... ;-)
As I said if you are experiencing that in your testing of the beta, provide WiiM with direct feedback thru the app. Thanks

As I said if you are experiencing that in your testing of the beta, provide WiiM with direct feedback thru the app. Thanks
I have Android and only use the DSP on sub.. if am not registered in beta it's not for nothing and the subject is too delicate...

(for me it's the peq in headphone correction mode which might interest me be the day when it will be available improved)

I'm just reacting to the first feedbacks which shows that for the moment major precautions have not been taken into account..that's all... "for the moment.." ;-)

but rest assured I will keep quiet about it now ;-) ;-)

Last edited:
Back