USB output

The Hifime UR23 SPDIF Optical to USB converter has a hardwired USB A connector and a mini Toslink socket for an optical cable.
It draws its power via the USB connector.
I have never encountered an audio device that will supply power to a device connected to one of the audio device's USB input ports
1693063873240.png

via specific cables, see diy...

Not sure what sort of cables you mean but yes the powered hub would give the Hifime power.
I connected my Hifime to my PC via a USB hub and to a Wiim Mini via optical and yes you can get that to work but not an elegant solution :)

The Hifime UR23 SPDIF Optical to USB converter has a hardwired USB A connector and a mini Toslink socket for an optical cable.
It draws its power via the USB connector.
I have never encountered an audio device that will supply power to a device connected to one of the audio device's USB input ports
View attachment 2276
You just plug this directly into USB on a PC or a Raspberry Pi and it will get power from the host device. A powered hub is only necessary if there are too many other things being powered from the same host.
It’s actually a USB to Optical/3.5mm Aux converter. It incorporates a reasonable quality Sabre DAC capable of 24/96 IIRC. I have a couple somewhere or other.

You just plug this directly into USB on a PC or a Raspberry Pi and it will get power from the host device. A powered hub is only necessary if there are too many other things being powered from the same host.
It’s actually a USB to Optical/3.5mm Aux converter. It incorporates a reasonable quality Sabre DAC capable of 24/96 IIRC. I have a couple somewhere or other.
I don't think you have this one as you are describing a SPDIF output device. This is for PC recording from SPDIF to USB.
It can't be connected to a DAC according to the manufacturer so has no use as proposed here, that is to connect a Wiim to a USB DAC.

"Please note that it can’t be connected directly to a USB device like a DAC, it must be connected to a USB host like a computer"

Last edited:
I don't think you have this one as you are describing a SPDIF output device. This is for PC recording from SPDIF to USB.
It can't be connected to a DAC according to the manufacturer so has limited use here.

"Please note that it can’t be connected directly to a USB device like a DAC, it must be connected to a USB host like a computer"
Apologies you are correct.
That is dangerous as it looks identical to something do have which is a Sabre DAC

Why does a thread with 87 posts only have 9 upvotes (at the time of this post)?

I'm curious of the split here of interest across USB for:
- Input to a higher-quality DAC than in the Pro Plus
- Input to a more powerful DSP (e.g. BruteFIR, CamillaDSP, etc.)
- Input to higher bitrate DACs

Any WiiM development on this topic?

To refresh… the interest is in a basic WiiM Pro with a bit perfect USB-c out.

Without a decent XMOS or equivalent controller I would expect not so smooth output using its USB socket. When they added it to existing Bluesound Nodes it’s not been the best output with some DACs having issues locking. As it was never designed with it in mind.

Is that not what the WiiM Ultra will provide?
Not really. A lot of people using external DACs with superior USB processing like Schiit Audio Unison USB just need a USB port out on a basic streamer. All the extras talked about on the Utra are never used. I do not need or want a screen. My Pro is at the back of a cabinet behind other equipment and I never see it.

One had to remember the Wiims are built to fit a certain budget in mind, adding in a decent USB controller adds costs. The port also doesn’t provide a huge amount of current so not suitable to DACs that need power from USB which users will have and want to use. So you would open up issues here. Best left to be added properly in a different model.

One has to ask why anyone would buy a Wiim if you wanted USB connection when there are devices that offer it. Its well known it only supports spdif and it’s not mentioned in any marketing. You buy hardware for what it does not what it might do.

One had to remember the Wiims are built to fit a certain budget in mind, adding in a decent USB controller adds costs. The port also doesn’t provide a huge amount of current so not suitable to DACs that need power from USB which users will have and want to use. So you would open up issues here. Best left to be added properly in a different model.

One has to ask why anyone would buy a Wiim if you wanted USB connection when there are devices that offer it. Its well known it only supports spdif and it’s not mentioned in any marketing. You buy hardware for what it does not what it might do.
Thanks for your lesson. Some of us bought the Pro a year ago. It fulfilled a role then. Things evolve, requirements change.

So, what other streamers in the WiiM price range offer an USB-C output? Now if that option was available, no one would be questioning why WiiM didn’t offer it too.

Next cheapest is Ifi Zen Stream which as no DAC. Raspberry Pi DiY is the only option around the same price as the Wiim. Then Blusound Node 2 next its usb output is a bit flakey though. Then you have SoTm or Sonore bridges which are not cheap or the Eversolo. You rarely find usb at the cheap end.

Back