WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready

You can run Roon server on a PC or Mac. No need for any additional boxes. Roon is designed to manage all of your digital content, either locally stored or through one of many supported stream service, through a single clean interface that works on just about everything. Especially important if that content is CD quality or greater. It also provides extensive meta data linking and rich content and allows you to stream any of that content in the highest resolution that your system supports. You’ll need a decent DAC to get the full benefit. Wiim Pro support for Roon is huge, especially for this price point. Yes there is a monthly or annual subscription fee.
Or lifetime - if you are ever thinking of that - write the support desk and ask if they ever go on sale - they tend to offer 20% off immediately.

Reading this, I am left with the impression that you are still using physical CDs as your music source and you don’t mention any streaming services. If that is the case, you have no need of Roon! Roon is for music in digital formats . However, you do not need an expensive PC device: an appropriately configured mini PC will do the job. Indeed the one you already have may be sufficient. Raspi can be Roon endpoints (endpoints are where you send the music to in order to listen to it), although there are now better alternatives such as WiiM!

People who already have Roon know what Roon Ready is. However, WiiM devices were able to be used with Roon without them being Roon Ready using either Chromecast or AirPlay. Roon Ready devices can take full advantage of the Roon system.
Other music streaming systems have existed since long before Roon was even conceived. I happen to know that @castalla has 15 years experience of one!

Or lifetime - if you are ever thinking of that - write the support desk and ask if they ever go on sale - they tend to offer 20% off immediately.
That's what I did after using for a few months. No regrets and hopefully no changes after Harmon purchase.

Sort of... I just was mildly surprised that the ubiquitous Raspi was 'machina non grata' in the Rooniverse.
Not wishing to fan any flames but Roon does seem to require a lot of processing power to achieve its aim. I’m no coder but I’m told it’s bloated compared to others.

In defence of Roon, in the event that I'm bored rigid during the forthcoming festivities and decide to wile away the hours by trying a Roon install, I have to say that the Roon faqs are pretty good and informative. I might just give the whole shebang a whirl, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Not wishing to fan any flames but Roon does seem to require a lot of processing power to achieve its aim. I’m no coder but I’m told it’s bloated compared to others.
Roon does require more CPU power than LMS or a typical DLNA/UPnP system. Current recommendation is an 11th generation Core i3 with 4GB for medium size libraries, or an 11th gen core i7 + 8GB for large libraries (12k+ Albums) or heavy DSP. Having said that, I've been running Roon server for a couple of years as Docker image on my Synology NAS 220+ powered by a mere Intel Celeron J4025.

It does require a lot of processing power to achieve its aims, as its aims are ambitious compared to others. Personally, I cannot understand these ridiculous debates and one upmanship. We should just be thankful we have a diverse range of products to choose from and are free to make our own choices based on our own user needs and budgets. The only issue is when there are inaccuracies or misunderstandings that should be corrected. Roon needs a reasonably configured computer and home network to run well, but you do not need to spend thousands of dollars to achieve this, as is implied by some of the comments. I use an old desktop that I have no other use for. The technical requirements are made abundantly clear in all the information provided by Roon itself.

Sort of... I just was mildly surprised that the ubiquitous Raspi was 'machina non grata' in the Rooniverse.
You can also use an Intel NUC to run the Roon server as a standalone device:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...#So_what_is_Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit_ROCK_then

They can be had for as little as $300 USD. A fanless NUC is also used for Roon's Nucleus servers that they sell for $1500 - 4000. In addition to managing the library / database, streaming the content over ethernet using their hi-rez RAAT protocol there's also a DSP engine for fine tuning your listening environment and the ability to support multiple simultaneous end points. Roon server runs a lightweight Linux implementation. My guess is that even a very robust Raspi would be challenged to support all of these functions well and at the least would need storage options beyond a typical SD card.

Roon is built on the Mono platform. If you know what that is, you'll understand the underlying requirements (and other quirks about Roon as well).

Not quite... What if you don't have a PC or Mac. Oh, so now I'd also need to add the cost of a decent DAC... And what about those platinum cables I mentioned above?
You could also live on a desert island
In defence of Roon, in the event that I'm bored rigid during the forthcoming festivities and decide to wile away the hours by trying a Roon install, I have to say that the Roon faqs are pretty good and informative. I might just give the whole shebang a whirl, just to see what all the fuss is about.
What about the luxury river cruise down the Rhine?

Good morning to all you Rooners!

So, afflicted by my recurrent insomnia, I thought what the heck, give it a go. A few hours later, I finally got a jury-rigged Roon core and Roon remote up and running. Setting it up was a bit hit'n'miss (avoiding the online manuals, of course, in favour of the old click and see what happens approach) .

I tested it with a variety of endpoints including chromecast, sonos, Roon Ready and squeezeboxes - quite impressed by how all these are handled. The sound quality was very good with both local music files, Tidal and Internet radio. The music/artist info is impressive but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it.

What I found less pleasing was the over-fussy screen displays with too many items and categories sort of jostling for space - I definitely didn't like the larger Main titling font (Times Roman?) which clashed with the smaller sans serif font for all the other items on the screen.

Overall, it's sort of what I expected but not quite as polished as its reputation among Rooners had led me to expect. Of course, in such a short time, I'm sure I've missed some features, etc. Given I'm well established and familiar with LMS, I doubt I'd be prepared to jump ship given the cost of a ticket to do so.

It was an interesting exercise and at least I did scratch that itch.

Back