WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready

I posted earlier about only getting 96 kHz via WiiM Pro and attributed this to the age of my DAC. I have been playing around with a few connections and decided to use a toslink (SPDIF) connection rather than the COAX I was using. This was on the assumption that as I was only going to get 96 kHz anyway, the toslink worked better in my set up. I played a 192 kHz track mainly to see whether Roon would automatically downsample or whether I would need to adjust the SPDIF output parameters. Surprise, surprise, Roon was showing that the DAC was receiving 192 kHz as did the WiiM app. It is also outputting 192 kHz directly from Qobuz. Life is full of mysteries.

Just ordered my first Google Chromecast dongle only for using Roon's on-screen gimmick on my TV. I tried Airplay but it will block my iPad and the same with SmartView on my phone.
Is for this case a setup necessary or will the software recognize the dongle without?
Thanks in advance.

The only set up is in the Roon settings, where you will need to link the Chromecast to your WiiM Pro as a display. You can then decide whether you want it to fire up automatically or manually if you don't want the display on all the time.

What are you listening to? 😝 I'm perplexed. 😂😂😂😂
It is part of my personal Italian canzone playlist. Nearly 100 tracks with a lot of San Remo decorated songs. If you are eager to listen you can find it in Qobuz as "Achims Azzurro" 😝😂😂😉

With some time on my hands I thought (with all this Roon fever going on here) - okay I'll give it a go (at least for the free trial).

Well, this idea hasn't lasted more than 30 minutes after some googling revealed that Roon core won't run on raspi - but requires a chunky (and likely expensive) PC device running in the background.

I like a sort of minimalist setup and there's no way I'd spend even more money (on top of a subscription), or fire up another laptop or whatever as another device simply to install a particular piece of software. I've got a mini PC running Win 10 but it's used with LMS to provide a cd player across my network which any squeezebox endpoint can access (Roon can't even do that and only handles cd ripping).

Roon Ready - for what?

Just my 2 euro cents worth.

(I'm not trying to start a flame war, so if you love Roon then peace be upon you. I have noticed quite a few posts where users thought Roon Ready meant simply switch it on and hey presto they'd get Roon automatically.)

With some time on my hands I thought (with all this Roon fever going on here) - okay I'll give it a go (at least for the free trial).

Well, this idea hasn't lasted more than 30 minutes after some googling revealed that Roon core won't run on raspi - but requires a chunky (and likely expensive) PC device running in the background.

I like a sort of minimalist setup and there's no way I'd spend even more money (on top of a subscription), or fire up another laptop or whatever as another device simply to install a particular piece of software. I've got a mini PC running Win 10 but it's used with LMS to provide a cd player across my network which any squeezebox endpoint can access (Roon can't even do that and only handles cd ripping).

Roon Ready - for what?

(I'm not trying to start a flame war, so if you love Roon then peace be upon you. I have noticed quite a few posts where users thought Roon Ready meant simply switch it on and hey presto they'd get Roon automatically.)
I just run Roon on my iMac, which I also use for work. Never had an issue.

Roon Ready - for what?

You can run Roon server on a PC or Mac. No need for any additional boxes. Roon is designed to manage all of your digital content, either locally stored or through one of many supported stream service, through a single clean interface that works on just about everything. Especially important if that content is CD quality or greater. It also provides extensive meta data linking and rich content and allows you to stream any of that content in the highest resolution that your system supports. You’ll need a decent DAC to get the full benefit. Wiim Pro support for Roon is huge, especially for this price point. Yes there is a monthly or annual subscription fee.

I just run Roon on my iMac, which I also use for work. Never had an issue.
Well, yes. So you already have a compatible device (amortised in your case). A newcomer novice Roon-hungry wiim user is probably not going to shell out 500 plus for a core server device.... Or maybe I'm wrong and people will spend whatever in pursuit of audio nirvana! (I've made some daft buys myself in the past so I'm not immune. No, I didn't blow 1000s on those platinum twisted cables, either).

You can run Roon server on a PC or Mac. No need for any additional boxes. Roon is designed to manage all of your digital content, either locally stored or through one of many supported stream service, through a single clean interface that works on just about everything. Especially important if that content is CD quality or greater. It also provides extensive meta data linking and rich content and allows you to stream any of that content in the highest resolution that your system supports. You’ll need a decent DAC to get the full benefit. Wiim Pro support for Roon is huge, especially for this price point. Yes there is a monthly or annual subscription fee.
Not quite... What if you don't have a PC or Mac. Oh, so now I'd also need to add the cost of a decent DAC... And what about those platinum cables I mentioned above?

Roon Ready - for what?

Roon Ready - for what?

Reading this, I am left with the impression that you are still using physical CDs as your music source and you don’t mention any streaming services. If that is the case, you have no need of Roon! Roon is for music in digital formats . However, you do not need an expensive PC device: an appropriately configured mini PC will do the job. Indeed the one you already have may be sufficient. Raspi can be Roon endpoints (endpoints are where you send the music to in order to listen to it), although there are now better alternatives such as WiiM!

People who already have Roon know what Roon Ready is. However, WiiM devices were able to be used with Roon without them being Roon Ready using either Chromecast or AirPlay. Roon Ready devices can take full advantage of the Roon system.

I have a few legacy cds which I lazily can't be bothered to rip - so I bought a 25 euro usb cd player and connected it via LMS. Job done.

My wife also used to like the physical properties of cds compared to the ethereal nature of streaming media. I think she was not alone given the recent resurgence of vynil and cds.

Back