WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready

I subscribed to Roon thinking that was all I needed. But I guess I am missing some additional HW
Yeah - Roon is a server based system, so has to be running somewhere in your network, say on a PC or another server. The core resides on that server and is populated by Roon indexing all your music files and streaming services. The latest WiiM firmware ”just” makes the Pro visible to Roon as a device to play music to. If you don’t already have Roon setup and running, then the WiiM firmware doesn’t offer you anything new - it needs an existing Roon system to connect to.

Reactions: RKM
Well I could manually start the update in the device settings. Go to speaker info, there was a download arrow next to firmware version.

Well I could manually start the update in the device settings. Go to speaker info, there was a download arrow next to firmware version.
Yeah, once the firmware is available for your device. You still had to wait for the download arrow to become available ;)

Aaaand it’s finally here!
Very much enjoying the 192/24 Super Deluxe Appetite for Destruction. Will move to more “mature” listening later in the evening, but it’s good ol’ G’nR for now.

Yeah - Roon is a server based system, so has to be running somewhere in your network, say on a PC or another server. The core resides on that server and is populated by Roon indexing all your music files and streaming services. The latest WiiM firmware ”just” makes the Pro visible to Roon as a device to play music to. If you don’t already have Roon setup and running, then the WiiM firmware doesn’t offer you anything new - it needs an existing Roon system to connect to.
I downloaded Roon app on my iPad, but I assume it still needs a Mac/PC? The iPad only allows remote access to the computer server? This is all seems much more complicated than it should be :unsure:

I downloaded Roon app on my iPad, but I assume it still needs a Mac/PC? The iPad only allows remote access to the computer server? This is all seems much more complicated than it should be :unsure:
First part is correct. The second part too. The third part is in the eye of the beholder 😉.
The apps are only "remote controls".

Been a lifetime ROON subscriber since inception. Have 2 WiiM Pro’s, neither updated firmware on 6/30 or today. Last firmware update: 20230615; v. 4.8.520133. :rebooted both, nothing, unplugged nothing. Hawaii is not “Outer Mongolia”, if Germany got it why not mine?
FWIW I’m in San Francisco and the download was available to me late yesterday afternoon. Since I was using my Pro at the time, I kept checking Speaker Info and eventually there was a “New” badge. Clicked on that and took about 10 mins to download and reboot. Now enjoying Roon in my kitchen / dining room setup! Works perfectly!

Perhaps you should think of Roon as a music service that fronts your local library/ streaming service(s) and plays to your now Roon compatible WiiM Pro, and as a music service it needs a server to run on.

The way you’re approaching it is a bit cart before the horse - users usually already have a Roon server/subscription then play to compatible devices. It’s unusual to first have a Roon Ready compatible playback device then go looking to build a Roon service on a server just to be able to use the playback device in a particular manner.

My initial experience with Roon on my "Linkplay Technology Inc. Wiim Pro Receiver" has been delightfully smooth and musically satisfying. Thanks to the developers and all concerned who made this happen! I can now retire the ROCK64 Single Board Computer that has been acting as a Roon Bridge in my system these past few years.

As mentioned before my Intel NUC 11 including 8GB RAM and a small 256SSD arrived this morning. I followed the steps in the linked YT video (Gabster) and with roughly two hours setup my Roon server for ~ 300 was ready to run. It instantly accepted also an 1TB USB HD with lots of ripped material. Good fun even for me as an untalented, but now a little bit proud DIYer 😉

@Brantome
Looks good!
The reason for the price difference might be easy to understand..
You must be a thoroughbred, I only a half breed 😂😂😂
Hardly a thoroughbred, more like an old carthorse put out to pasture…

Must say it was a bit of a struggle - unix/Linux wasn’t something I used in my IT career, but as usual with a lot of googling and trial and error, I finally got it going. Hopefully I don’t need to change the setup now, just add more CD rips when I get round to it.

Must say I’m gravitating towards Qobuz away from Amazon Music HD though for ‘serious’ home use…

Mine stops after while

Seems to lose the Wiim.

I have to reboot roon to find it.

I am finding that 192kHz 24 bit files will not play via WiiM Roon. I have to downsample to 96kHz for them to play. I use COAX for output and it is set to 192kHz 24bit.

I am finding that 192kHz 24 bit files will not play via WiiM Roon. I have to downsample to 96kHz for them to play. I use COAX for output and it is set to 192kHz 24bit.
Have you definitely enabled and chosen the 'roon ready' device from the available devices and not chosen the airplay or Chromecast 'versions'?
Also, after you've made any changes to the output settings on the Wiim Pro, you need to restart Roon to see these options enabled in the Wiim Pro device setup menu within Roon.
Once you've set both spdif and coax to max output within the Wiim home app, then open Roon and set the Wiim Pro to 192k max output in the setup menu.

I also use coaxial output, configured 24/96. That's enough for me. Run me not needed) It doesn't work in my country)

What DAC are you using?

Back