WiiM Pro vs Pro Plus

It shows that your device can perform better on analog inputs compared to digital in terms of noise floor.
Yes you are right . Both snr (16bit)and thd better on analog input . So why this response from roksan . It seems that adding an external dac can pay off ( small dif though). Is snr stated in analog in the best attainable?

Last edited:
Ich frage mich jetzt warum man von einem Pro auf den Pro+ wechseln sollte und dafür wieder 250€ zahlen sollte. Wenn es doch angeblich „nur“ der neue AKM Chip ist der den Unterschied macht. Für 100€ bekommt man einen Topping E30 Lite. Der hat den gleichen Chip. Ob man den Unterschied wirklich hört ist sowieso fraglich. Messdaten hin oder her. Oder sehe ich hier etwas falsch. Lasse mich gerne aufklären.

Ich frage mich jetzt warum man von einem Pro auf den Pro+ wechseln sollte und dafür wieder 250€ zahlen sollte. Wenn es doch angeblich „nur“ der neue AKM Chip ist der den Unterschied macht. Für 100€ bekommt man einen Topping E30 Lite. Der hat den gleichen Chip. Ob man den Unterschied wirklich hört ist sowieso fraglich. Messdaten hin oder her. Oder sehe ich hier etwas falsch. Lasse mich gerne aufklären.
If you already have a pro and an external dac then I agree, there's no need to 'upgrade' to a pro plus.
If you think it's likely that you'll experiment with external dacs anyway then a pro will suffice.
If you want the simplicity of a single box with a decent enough dac then the pro plus covers that.

I would like to know if there is a noticeable sound quality difference between using the internal Dac of the pro+ and using the Pro + an external smsl su1 dac. They are the same dac but I noticed that from the Wiim pro to the smsl su1 the sampling rate of tos/koax is much lower than using usb which the pro does not have.

? At what sampling rates does the internal dac of the pro+ operate ?

I would like to know if there is a noticeable sound quality difference between using the internal Dac of the pro+ and using the Pro + an external smsl su1 dac. They are the same dac but I noticed that from the Wiim pro to the smsl su1 the sampling rate of tos/koax is much lower than using usb which the pro does not have.

At the moment, I’d guess the same as the Pro I.e up to 24/192. Plus there’s more to the sound than just the DAC, and higher sample rate doesn’t guarantee better sound.

If you already have a pro and an external dac then I agree, there's no need to 'upgrade' to a pro plus.
If you think it's likely that you'll experiment with external dacs anyway then a pro will suffice.
If you want the simplicity of a single box with a decent enough dac then the pro plus covers that.
Other than output choices differences between mini and pro are there any other differences when using an external dac

Other than output choices differences between mini and pro are there any other differences when using an external dac
You do have the input differences too, but if you‘re just playing the same supported service, then I’d say very little or no audible difference,

If you are considering a set of smsl su1 and Pro or Mini, I recommend Pro plus without hesitation. 😉
This will avoid the hassle of having at least two remotes. 😂

Oh, Sorry. There was no remote control on the SU-1.
That's why Pro Plus saves you the trouble of pressing the DAC switch. 🙂

Mini + smsl su1 is much cheaper than either pro or pro+ (even more so)

My question was regarding audio quality difference

Mini + smsl su1 is much cheaper than either pro or pro+ (even more so)

My question was regarding audio quality difference
For reference, you can also compare measurements here. 🙂

For reference, you can also compare measurements here. 🙂

Thank you

According to specs optical is capped at 24/96.
If you are talking about WiiM specs, the app allows me to select 24 bits / 192 kHz for both optical and coax SPDIF. I haven't tried them yet with my receiver's DAC. In the past, with other devices, my experience was that 24/96k over coax was the practical limît, but 24/192k over optical is usually fine.

Specs state the Pro Plus DAC goes up to 768 kHz. I didn't try it that high, but I did try FLAC files at 352.8 kHz (DSD conversions to PCM, since DSD support is actually not there on the + as advertised). The files played fine, except for the last 3 seconds of each track which had pops/clicks. I am using 10 Gbps Ethernet server, FYI, and the WiiM is using 100 Mbps Ethernet (max it supports), not Wifi. I have logged a ticket with WiiM about the pops and clicks.

I'm wondering about the difference in the digital part between Pro and Pro Plus. I'd use WiiM mainly for optical to coaxial conversion and streaming. Are there any changes in that part, like a better clock or power supply? Everyone says there is nothing changed, but I'd rather ask. Thanks!

View attachment 2017
A lot of audio reviews on YouTube suggest that the sound of the DAC in the Pro Plus is superior. Both use the same chip, but the other components that feed and power the chip in the Pro Plus is superior, according to all of the reviews that I've seen. I ended up buying the Pro Plus, but it's my first ever DAC so I don't pretend to know. It sounds great though.

Back