WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Why, exactly?
Sorry … I am referring to the complement of inputs/outputs on the Eversolo, though even AES dig out is lacking on the Eversolo. Note AES is preferred to drive fully active speakers via dig input … Dutch & Dutch 8C, Genelec, Kii, etc

Sorry … I am referring to the complement of inputs/outputs on the Eversolo, though even AES dig out is lacking on the Eversolo. Note AES is preferred to drive fully active speakers via dig input … Dutch & Dutch 8C, Genelec, Kii, etc
if necessary there is this active for help.. (or many other solutions)

I believe the question was more why AES vs. a simple SPDIF digital output. The answer being that studio monitors targeted at the professional audio crowd sometimes only have AES and so it would require an additional converter dongle etc.

I'll go out on a limb and presume that the target audience for WiiM devices hasn't been audio professionals with 15k$ studio monitors.

I believe the question was more why AES vs. a simple SPDIF digital output. The answer being that studio monitors targeted at the professional audio crowd sometimes only have AES and so it would require an additional converter dongle etc.

I'll go out on a limb and presume that the target audience for WiiM devices hasn't been audio professionals with 15k$ studio monitors.
Perhaps, but my $149 JBL Pro monitors use XLR connectors as well. I use the WiiM Pro’s coax digital output through an RME DAC to feed them, and I’m quite pleased with this setup.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but my $149 JBL Pro monitors use AES connectors as well. I use the WiiM Pro’s coax digital output through an RME DAC to feed them, and I’m quite pleased with this setup.
That's fair, it's more the pro monitor market regardless of price point not just the expensive ones like the Dutch & Dutch.

I'd guess it's still a pretty small segment for WiiM to prioritize the feature but I'm not opposed to more I/o options generally assuming costs don't balloon.

Personally I'm still hoping WiiM will make a pure digital transport with all the possible digital I/o (HDMI, USB, AES etc.) and nothing else (DAC or screen). Clearly lots of people want a more expensive all-in-one like the Rose, etc. though.

Very softly I will bring to discussion that XLR and AES is NOT the same, only the connectors look equal. Sometimes I think that is not quite clear for everyone.
AES/EBU is digital.
XLR is analog. Mostly for balanced output to replace unbalanced RCA.
Although the interconnect is the same.
AES/EBU cable is 110 ohm balanced.
XLR is typically 66-75ohm cable

Very softly I will bring to discussion that XLR and AES is NOT the same, only the connectors look equal. Sometimes I think that is not quite clear for everyone.
AES/EBU is digital.
XLR is analog. Mostly for balanced output to replace unbalanced RCA.
Although the interconnect is the same.
AES/EBU cable is 110 ohm balanced.
XLR is typically 66-75ohm cable
I thought that was clear since I stated AES dig and balanced out, but after reading my original post again I see how it could have been confusing, thanks for making that distinction for those that may not be familiar with these connections!

Note I sent a message directly to WiiM about this request and as usual given their incredible customer service, they got right back to me and stated they would consider these outputs for the Ultra.

That's fair, it's more the pro monitor market regardless of price point not just the expensive ones like the Dutch & Dutch.

I'd guess it's still a pretty small segment for WiiM to prioritize the feature but I'm not opposed to more I/o options generally assuming costs don't balloon.

Personally I'm still hoping WiiM will make a pure digital transport with all the possible digital I/o (HDMI, USB, AES etc.) and nothing else (DAC or screen). Clearly lots of people want a more expensive all-in-one like the Rose, etc. though.
Agree … I only need the AES out. Would be great if Wiim did the same with Ultra as the Pro … digital transport only model and a model with DAC

Instead of or apart from a screen a hdmi video output to a tv would be nice or a casting solution. So you can show album art and stuff on a big screen. AES and XLR is a step too far I think. Too audiophile to appeal to the general public. It will drive up the cost or be poorly implement and then it would be of use to no one.
You would be surprised how many “audiophiles” are using this great piece of kit. Including even at the shows where they have multi $100k systems being driven by the WiiM. Still the most popular at shows is the crazy expensive Aurender, but I saw several WiiMs at AXPONA this past April. Word is getting out about this kit. If I were Aurender, Eversolo, etc, I would be losing some sleep at night due to WiiM!

I thought that was clear since I stated AES dig and balanced out, but after reading my original post again I see how it could have been confusing, thanks for making that distinction for those that may not be familiar with these connections!

Note I sent a message directly to WiiM about this request and as usual given their incredible customer service, they got right back to me and stated they would consider these outputs for the Ultra.
You are of course not meant, but just yesterday I talked to a guy who horribly mixed up this two things.

Was anticipating a Streamer with display from WiiM, similar to Eversolo / Matrix but didn't expect so soon 👍

Would be great, if they go with ESS Sabre DAC , adding Digital IN's viz., Optical, Coax, eARC, USB in / out, Ethernet ...

I will skip this one and wait for the WiiM Ultra Pro Plus. I'm sure something like that will come soon.

PS: Please WiiM, don't become another Topping or S.M.S.L. where new devices come out on a weekly basis.
It’s start with mini then pro then follow by pro plus with improved circuits design and chipset. I think wiim is creating a price point what a consumer willing to spend on features sets so they get your business.

The word "cheap" for me is another word for "garbage".
Although it was never so easy to get decent sound for small money it still has to have its price. And that is good. Many of all this mostly chinois use-and-throw "amps" and DACs will die after a calculated obsolescence. To buy cheap means to buy twice..
And what always triggers me is the presumptuous word "we" in posts which implements something like common sense. Which is the sense which is less common than any other. And the word "affordable" what only should be used by adding a personal bank statement 😉
Affordable is always related to the living situation of every individual and should not be generalized.

@ratty I did never name the WiiMs cheap! They are a perfect example for reasonable budgeted entry level. I would not be so present here if this would be my opinion. Cheap for me is stuff like Fosi and Douk f.e.

Back