WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I use Amazon HD directly into my Cambridge Audio amp from my tv. Yes it's CD quality. As are most of the streams.
I switch to my Wiim if I really need UHD
9/10 the original recordings are shit anywaý?

I certainly do not think that a 65inch TV trumps an actual LP sleeve for one second. The latter is touchable and full of info.

I could display what I’m playing on my Living Room TV but I never do. LMS AirPlay bridge to my Onkyo AVR or directly to the TV.

I do have a touchscreen/now playing screen in my Living Room and elsewhere in the house in the form of an O2 Joggler and a couple of SB Touch’s but my main control is via iPhone or iPad.

My wife likes the Jogglers because they display an easily readable digital clock when not in audio use.

Don’t need a screen on a player though.

“The latter is touchable and full of info.”

Agreed. Though the move to streaming music and video over physical media suggests most people aren’t so bothered about the touchable part.

All the content on vinyl artwork/booklets can be displayed through streaming.

“The latter is touchable and full of info.”

Agreed. Though the move to streaming music and video over physical media suggests most people aren’t so bothered about the touchable part.

All the content on vinyl artwork/booklets can be displayed through streaming.
How many LPs do you own / have experience of?
Yes if you search the internet you may find an image of the back cover and insert covers of an album but they aren’t just there on your TV to look at. Likewise there is so little info contained in the metadata that you wouldn’t know just by streaming that Eric Clapton played lead guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Yes if you search the internet you may find an image of the back cover and insert covers of an album but they aren’t just there on your TV to look at. Likewise there is so little info contained in the metadata that you wouldn’t know just by streaming that Eric Clapton played lead guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

I’m 58 and bought records from around 1971 well into the eighties. My record collection before switching to CD was well into the hundreds.

I know they’re not there on streamed music at the moment, but they could be. Already on Amazon Music, as well as cover art, there are often lyrics, and X-Ray data.

The full equivalent of the original artwork isn’t there yet, but you’re in danger of making the perfect the enemy of the good.

It comes as no surprise to me. This is internetland. And the attitude “I don’t like it, so I’m going to argue that no one else should have it” is, alas, all too common.

I’m 58 and bought records from around 1971 well into the eighties. My record collection before switching to CD was well into the hundreds.

I know they’re not there on streamed music at the moment, but they could be. Already on Amazon Music, as well as cover art, there are often lyrics, and X-Ray data.

The full equivalent of the original artwork isn’t there yet, but you’re in danger of making the perfect the enemy of the good.

It comes as no surprise to me. This is internetland. And the attitude “I don’t like it, so I’m going to argue that no one else should have it” is, alas, all too common.
Why say
“All the content on vinyl artwork/booklets can be displayed through streaming.”
when that is clearly not the case then?

All I can say is that I started with digital music streaming - a device connected to HiFi - in 2008. I do have some devices with touchscreens and I do use them but not as much as my phone or iPad. I can display now playing onto my 65inch TV but I don’t. I get more info from my phone.

Why say
“All the content on vinyl artwork/booklets can be displayed through streaming.”
when that is clearly not the case then?

All I can say is that I started with digital music streaming - a device connected to HiFi - in 2008. I do have some devices with touchscreens and I do use them but not as much as my phone or iPad. I can display now playing onto my 65inch TV but I don’t. I get more info from my phone.

Pleased to hear it.

Others may want something different to you.

I’m wondering…:unsure::unsure: Have you seen how much the Shanling costs?:unsure:
I just care about the display, man. If I wanted, I would buy the Shanling. But that's not my point. I love Wiim's simple ecosystem and would like to complement it with a device (e.g. Wiim Pro+ with display). That's all. The fact that not everyone here wants a display and would rather use this investment for other technical features is the nature of a wish forum.

For comparison when it comes to displays: HiFi Rose and Eversolo (the basic version) are also in completely different worlds when it comes to costs.

Not exactly true Roon shows me.
IMG_2716.pngIMG_2717.png

What's also important to me: I appreciate all your commitment and struggles for the development of a new "top of the line" product from Wiim. Together with the sensational customer focus of Wiim/Linkplay Tech Inc., we can look forward to another great end product. I'm very excited about it!

Yes, I’m looking forward to this being ‘the ultimate streamer’.

As I say, inclusion of a sub out with bass management, whilst retaining the transparency of the Pro Plus would be ‘end-game’ for me. A display is ‘just gravy’ (as “they” also say), but very nice and welcome gravy, nonetheless.

in my opinion, in addition to the USB audio output, it is important that the new device has:
- USB port for SSD reading
- sub output
- better clock
- Wifi with ax protocol (the future)
- No display (wasted money)
- possibly an HDMI video output to the TV but I understand that this is an additional cost
- external power supply (we'll buy a good LPS)

G

Dear @WiiM Team , for a new year’s gift, any chance of a teaser?

Even if spec isn’t finalised, is there anything more you can tell us about what’s definitely ‘in’?

Cheers.
Hi Steve, Team

Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input
Nice.
Is the usb out / media server an either / or, or are there two usb ports?

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input
Phono input? No, thanks.
I guess I will keep the Pro.

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input

Hi, @WiiM Support.

That would be a great upgrade, wasn't it? It's very exciting.
Is there any information that can be disclosed about pricing or LE audio?

LE audio support LC3 codec, but will the WiiM Ultra have LC3plus? And will it be able to support multi-stream?

Thank you. ☺️

Nice.
Is the usb out / media server an either / or, or are there two usb ports?
Similar to the WiiM Amp, the USB port serves as a USB out or media server with the new firmware. Additionally, you can connect multiple USB DACs using a hub.

Back