WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
For me WiiM is on a very dangerous way to overload their items with features more and more. If this would go together with using better components and build-quality it could be ok or at least less dangerous. Problem is that such items already exists on the market. WiiM builds superb devices in price/performance relation. But dreaming to get an even mid-fi device for a low-fi price will remain a dream.
WiiM have shown they can take on an existing market sector and deliver comparable product quality at exceptional value (Bluesound & Sonos we're looking at you.) So if the Ultra is taking aim at Eversolo A6 and Fiio R7 territory I believe it will be very successful - I'd certainly buy one.

WiiM have shown they can take on an existing market sector and deliver comparable product quality at exceptional value (Bluesound & Sonos we're looking at you.) So if the Ultra is taking aim at Eversolo A6 and Fiio R7 territory I believe it will be very successful - I'd certainly buy one.
Never said that WiiM didn't succeed and will do so in future. And if an upcoming portfolio will include devices which are able to perform all this features and if one is prepared to wait all is fine.
My post was solely related to the existing devices. The trouble WiiM has already with the Amp is for me reason to stay sceptic. There are limits for cheapness.
Will be the first to concede I was wrong.

maybe end up with a pro plus " mk2" , with a usb, (and classic outputs sym on trs? the use of the term "pro" would have been a little more explainable )... "essentials"..
basically what the "pro plus" could have been in mk1, or the"pro"..

would already be a good thing, like a "mk2" of the mini which remains an interesting positioning..
(probably a rather interesting little technical challenge...)

Last edited:
There’s a case to be made here for a WiiM Mini+.

Same as the current Mini, but with just a bit more processing power (so it can do more PEQ and room correction comfortably) and a sub out.

Bass management/crossover as with the Amp. Internal DAC converts the sub to analogue, then the higher frequencies to your own DAC.

Enable all mobiles to use the app in landscape, and screen share it if required.

Call it £125 instead of £90. What’s not to like?

The possible concern here is this. As WiiM creeps into Eversolo territory, there is the possibility that Eversolo and potentially HiFi Rose will dip into this segment to prove that they can and with the potential to take sales away and set WiiM up to be brought by someone else.

The possible concern here is this. As WiiM creeps into Eversolo territory, there is the possibility that Eversolo and potentially HiFi Rose will dip into this segment to prove that they can and with the potential to take sales away and set WiiM up to be brought by someone else.

Competition isn’t a concern.

We have a saying in Germany..."Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten!". The dictionary gave me "Cobbler, stick to your trade!".
It will remain very interesting how good and in which way WiiM will develop.

As an idea...however I don't know how expensive it is to implement :

View attachment 4616

For me WiiM is on a very dangerous way to overload their items with features more and more. If this would go together with using better components and build-quality it could be ok or at least less dangerous. Problem is that such items already exists on the market. WiiM builds superb devices in price/performance relation. But dreaming to get an even mid-fi device for a low-fi price will remain a dream.
Are you sure about that? DACs themselves have just about reached the saturation point for specs and performance. Can anyone truly hear the difference in S/N ratio between 124dB and 128dB? Topping, SMSL, FiiO,and others are producing very good, top quality audio products(DACs) for between $80-400 bucks. Even the very affordable TPA3255 TI chip, is making it's way into hi-end audio amplifiers. This indicates to me, that the uber price for hi-end equipment is being challenged on the merits and performance of lower costs gear, instead of simply the price tag of it.

However, the newer FiiO model of the R7 is the R9 and it's doubled the price. The R7 was affordable, although a little high for some people, but at double the price, it is now out of reach for many people. So, IMO it's hard to see the Ultra as an 'all-in-one' that will make WiiM some money for less than, say, $1000USD - using round figures. I hope they can pull it off for less. We'll have to wait and see. A lot depends on what they are including in their functional/operational specifications for the Ultra. It's fun to speculate. :)

Are you sure about that? DACs themselves have just about reached the saturation point for specs and performance. Can anyone truly hear the difference in S/N ratio between 124dB and 128dB? Topping, SMSL, FiiO,and others are producing very good, top quality audio products(DACs) for between $80-400 bucks. Even the very affordable TPA3255 TI chip, is making it's way into hi-end audio amplifiers. This indicates to me, that the uber price for hi-end equipment is being challenged on the merits and performance of lower costs gear, instead of simply the price tag of it.
I was only writing about my personal experience and there are many companies in the industry who crashed themselves by trying too much. Hopefully WiiM will do better, but there remains a little, but dedicated skepticism 😉
Amplifiers for me are amplifiers only. No streaming/DAC/amps lucky bags. My knowledge and interest in different chips is very small. (Could tell you much about tubes/valves instead 😉) With 72 years I still have to own the first amp with a digital section or Class D. But that is of course my way to the things. My wife reigns the living room and she runs a (very decent) all-in-one Unity Atom. I love all my boxes.
So lets be happy that all this things exists, but I will do it the same way as I did for more than 50 years.
I only wanted to express a little fear that they overload their devices with features.

Last edited:
However, the newer FiiO model of the R7 is the R9 and it's doubled the price. The R7 was affordable, although a little high for some people, but at double the price, it is now out of reach for many people. So, IMO it's hard to see the Ultra as an 'all-in-one' that will make WiiM some money for less than, say, $1000USD - using round figures. I hope they can pull it off for less. We'll have to wait and see. A lot depends on what they are including in their functional/operational specifications for the Ultra. It's fun to speculate. :)

These streamers are attractive around $200. Much above that they lose their luster.

I am happy with WiiM Pro. I would like to have the same product with USB out to connect to my DACs. I am using it currently via SPDIF coax but I know there is a slight clarity improvement if I could use USB; I know that because I checked with other sources. But I am not interested to pay more than the $200 range.

If this Ultra has a high price with features I will never use (a phono preamp stage is laughable), no, no interest.

my personal idea is that someone at wiim would have finally wanted to create a more high end product, without screen, without DAC, with better clock etc.., but some manager "smarter than the others" wanted to implement the usual things that make sales, nullifying the possibility of having a super device at an exceptional price.

If the WiiM Pro+ is retailing at $219 and the plans are to add a screen, phono stage, USB out, room correction, etc, etc, the Ultra is for sure a $300+ device. Probably $350. That's my guess. And even at $350, with features stated and the usual WiiM excellent performance, it'll be an incredible vlaue vs some other key solutions.

At $350 it'll be $150 less than the Bluesound Node, $500 less than an Eversolo A6.Dollar per feature value is projected to be excellent. It's just fun to speculate.

Will it offer me $200 more value than the Pro?
Not as just a streamer. It won't offer I2S per WiiM's rep. And while the USB out is nice, it has to perform in a way that SPDIF doesn't. Room correction is fun but not a must have for me.

what if it sounds every bit as good as my Pro and Gustard combo?
It needs XLR out for starters. And if it could equal my current setup, that would be a huge value. Anything's worth a try.

Those running a base Pro with an external high end DAC (higher end than anything mentioned here) will not pay $300 just for a USB out. There are other solutions and they are not those referred above.

If the WiiM Pro+ is retailing at $219 and the plans are to add a screen, phono stage, USB out, room correction, etc, etc, the Ultra is for sure a $300+ device. Probably $350. That's my guess. And even at $350, with features stated and the usual WiiM excellent performance, it'll be an incredible vlaue vs some other key solutions.

At $350 it'll be $150 less than the Bluesound Node, $500 less than an Eversolo A6.Dollar per feature value is projected to be excellent. It's just fun to speculate.

Will it offer me $200 more value than the Pro?
Not as just a streamer. It won't offer I2S per WiiM's rep. And while the USB out is nice, it has to perform in a way that SPDIF doesn't. Room correction is fun but not a must have for me.

what if it sounds every bit as good as my Pro and Gustard combo?
It needs XLR out for starters. And if it could equal my current setup, that would be a huge value. Anything's worth a try.
in my opinion it will cost than 450$

Back