WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Hello! New person here.

Just wanted to say that the Ultra, according to the specs, will be *the* ultimate device to have if you have a "normal" 2.1 system, do any type of digital, and you are of the opinion that you can't get "hi-fi" without science first and foremost.

Why?

1) The DAC will be fully transparent with high SINAD
2) But if you don't want to feed it music from your computer (coughwindowscaudiolimiterandresamplingwoescough), it's a streamer, feed it music over ethernet or wifi
3) You get a sub out with crossover (my stereo amp, as do most stereo amps, sends full-range signal to speakers, there's no sub integration)
4) PEQ and maybe room correction! Fix your room modes and speaker imperfections for all input sources

I don't particularly care about phono input or BT or HDMI ARC, but... when I set up a new system in my living room one fine "we have excess money" day and get another Ultra, then I probably *will* care, or rather the wife will, as she has an collection of vinyl and a phone and I don't think we'll ever have anything beyond 2.1 so no need for a receiver.

Why are people upset about this model? It's not like it's going to replace the existing lineup and force you to pay more. The old stuff remains in production and for sale. Buy what you like and need!

Fingers crossed that in the future WiiM also makes an upgraded Amp with features from Ultra. At that point, if someone asks "which amp should I buy", just immediately slap them with "buy the WiiM UltraGigaAmp 9000, it's everything you will ever need".

Hello! New person here.

Just wanted to say that the Ultra, according to the specs, will be *the* ultimate device to have if you have a "normal" 2.1 system, do any type of digital, and you are of the opinion that you can't get "hi-fi" without science first and foremost.

Why?

1) The DAC will be fully transparent with high SINAD
2) But if you don't want to feed it music from your computer (coughwindowscaudiolimiterandresamplingwoescough), it's a streamer, feed it music over ethernet or wifi
3) You get a sub out with crossover (my stereo amp, as do most stereo amps, sends full-range signal to speakers, there's no sub integration)
4) PEQ and maybe room correction! Fix your room modes and speaker imperfections for all input sources

I don't particularly care about phono input or BT or HDMI ARC, but... when I set up a new system in my living room one fine "we have excess money" day and get another Ultra, then I probably *will* care, or rather the wife will, as she has an collection of vinyl and a phone and I don't think we'll ever have anything beyond 2.1 so no need for a receiver.

Why are people upset about this model? It's not like it's going to replace the existing lineup and force you to pay more. The old stuff remains in production and for sale. Buy what you like and need!

Fingers crossed that in the future WiiM also makes an upgraded Amp with features from Ultra. At that point, if someone asks "which amp should I buy", just immediately slap them with "buy the WiiM UltraGigaAmp 9000, it's everything you will ever need".

I largely agree. When this appears there’ll be 5 WiiM streamers. All five, by definition, can’t suit everyone, containing everything anyone wants and nothing which anyone can do without.

This what makes very hard to make everyone happy. Users want every known imaginable connections and willing to pay extra. Users doesn’t want everything because they don’t want to pay features they don’t need. I think there should be 3 variants to suit every budget and need, let say wiim lite, wiim plus, wiim ultra. Wiim lite is minimalist feature at entry price, wiim plus is middle of the ground and wiim ultra for those people who want everything.

This what makes very hard to make everyone happy. Users want every known imaginable connections and willing to pay extra. Users doesn’t want everything because they don’t want to pay features they don’t need. I think there should be 3 variants to suit every budget and need, let say wiim lite, wiim plus, wiim ultra. Wiim lite is minimalist feature at entry price, wiim plus is middle of the ground and wiim ultra for those people who want everything.

That would be the Mini, the Pro Plus and the Ultra.

The Mini does the job, but doesn’t measure well - okay for casual.

The Pro Plus does everything well (it’s transparent) but doesn’t have a full set of features.

The Ultra looks like it’ll be as good as a Pro Plus performance wise, and will have every feature anyone could want.

Last edited:
That would be the Mini, the Pro Plus and the Ultra.

The Mini does the job, but doesn’t measure well - okay for casual.

The Pro Plus does everything well (it’s transparent) but doesn’t have a full set of features.

The Ultra looks like it’ll be as good as a Pro Plus performance wise, and will have every feature anyone could want.
Do that but put a clean usb out on the Pro.

Has WIIM given any indication of what size the display will be?

If it is tiny, i.e. 3 inches, might as well not have it.
If it is 6 inches or more, than it starts becoming useful.

Has WIIM given any indication of what size the display will be?

If it is tiny, i.e. 3 inches, might as well not have it.
If it is 6 inches or more, than it starts becoming useful.
This Ultra will divide the customer base. It will attract those who are after screens and will be passed on by those who do not want a screen and much prefer control using a remote mobile device.

I bet a large majority of early customers who promoted the Pro will pass on this. My WiiM streamers are out of sight all the time. Never see them.

In the meantime I have been loving this very simple, amazing sounding, cheep , Bluetooth receiver with LDAC.
It even has a screen that scrolls and shows whats playing, and it sounds 98% like my Pro.
This could be a screen in fact with just the type of input and output, just some modest information...
I suspect that this type of screen, classic on a good number of DACs, was not the idea of many..

if I can understand the use of putting you in control of the input level or small possibly on a power amplifier....
on a streamer I hardly see the interest..:oops:
mc intosh effect? ;-)
(as a reminder...in many cases if you don't have an analog meter but screens etc. it is often a good idea to have a function to turn them off...because they are disruptive.....)

Last edited:
For me, the main attraction of a screen would be a Now Playing display. I plan to use the Ultra on my desktop. For my stereo, I use the Pro and keep it out of sight.

Pricing of the Ultra is key for me.

On the one hand, I’d like an Ultra (presuming it does what I suspect and hope it does) and choose my own amp.

On the other, if the Ultra costs substantially more than the Pro Plus (let’s say it starts heading towards £1,000), and I have to buy that and an amp, suddenly £300 for the WiiM Amp looks tempting, if the amp stage is good enough.

I’m looking at maybe the Topping PA7 at £500, or PA5 II at £320. If the Pro Plus had a sub out, that’s what I’d be going for right now. But it doesn’t, so it’s one of those amps and an Ultra. If the Ultra is (off the top of my head) £350-£400, that works for me. If the Ultra is £800 the cost starts to look unjustifiable next to the Amp.

Question? Why would anyone want AES-EBU output on a consumer product? I can only think this feature appeals to less than 1% of users, and what consumer amps actually have AES /EBU?

Balanced XLR Output is more useful to connect to high-end AMPS,, as well as ARC, room correction, Internal M2 SSD, RIP audio from external CD and the ability to output track info/artwork to my TV rather than a small screen on the unit.

Spend the money on the DAC with filters...

Question? Why would anyone want AES-EBU output on a consumer product? I can only think this feature appeals to less than 1% of users, and what consumer amps actually have AES /EBU?

Balanced XLR Output is more useful to connect to high-end AMPS,, as well as ARC, room correction, Internal M2 SSD, RIP audio from external CD and the ability to output track info/artwork to my TV rather than a small screen on the unit.

Spend the money on the DAC with filters...
Higher end DACs often have AES/EBU and I2s inputs. Often DACs favor one input over another for sound quality. I think the average consumer doesn't follow higher end equipment. I think you'd be surprised how many audio enthusiasts are using WiiM streamers in their component chain.

Back