WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
touch screen?
the button allows you to play the volume? for the ana output or..the headphones?

I like the premium look which will sit very nicely with my Audiolab 7000A. Functionally the screen just adds that little bit extra despite its size. Room correction is the biggy for me but will we get an external microphone included (via USB?).
Haven’t seen that mentioned nor have I seen anything to suggest it will support usb audio in, but who knows.

Gentlemen! Do you think this product will be presented on Aliexpress? For us, in Russia, this is the only trading platform where you can buy it!
I think yes. After all, there are official Chinese WiiM dealers. I myself bought the amplifier at the start of sales on Aliexpress before it appeared on Amazon.

It looks very much like the Amp, but with no amp. A few extra connections and screen. Presumably a better DAC than the amp (Pro Plus standard).

I know a few were very keen on balanced outs, but in this instance it shouldn’t make a difference. The main reason for balanced in home hi-fi is to cut out ground loops.

These have become increasingly common over the last few years as more and more set ups have a PC involved (PC to DAC to amp, all on the same power loop).

But they were rarely an issue in ye olde dayes where it was just CD player into amp, or tape deck into amp. Neither should it be any more of an issue now.

Price? Well, the Amp is £300. Minus the amp but add the screen and extra connections. Maybe £400?

What is immediately apparent is that it is a pre amplifier also and it has also internal power supply . Except the screen of course … let’s see what kind of components are used inside !

It looks very much like the Amp, but with no amp. A few extra connections and screen. Presumably a better DAC than the amp (Pro Plus standard).

I know a few were very keen on balanced outs, but in this instance it shouldn’t make a difference. The main reason for balanced in home hi-fi is to cut out ground loops.

These have become increasingly common over the last few years as more and more set ups have a PC involved (PC to DAC to amp, all on the same power loop).

But they were rarely an issue in ye olde dayes where it was just CD player into amp, or tape deck into amp. Neither should it be any more of an issue now.

Price? Well, the Amp is £300. Minus the amp but add the screen and extra connections. Maybe £400?
Balanced helps also by having twice the Vrms output which allows using a lower gain on the power amp, which in turn slightly improves noise & distortion on some :)

Balanced cables do not, in general, reduce ground loops, which are caused by the grounds of different equipment being at slightly different voltages. They are designed to make very solid electrical connections, which can be a problem with some unbalanced cables. That can reduce hum,

Balanced inputs/outputs are mostly used to reduce noise created by interference from electromagnetic (EM) and radio frequency (RF) sources like AC mains, fluorescent lights, motors, and appliances. They are, for example, used in microphone cables in the concert environment where there can be a lot of electrical interference. Professional equipment in recording studios typically uses balanced cables. Even in private homes, there can be a lot of EM noise and the balanced cables help reduce the effect of that noise.

So, dust settles, what have we got? Inputs are phono, optical, HDMI and USB, same as the Amp. Outputs on the Amp were speakers and sub, these replaced by RCA, coax, optical and sub.

I missed on first reading, but this will be a better DAC than the Pro Plus [jazzclub]NICE![/jazzclub].

All very good. If I’m to have the mildest of criticisms, I wouldn’t have called it the Ultra. In common usage that effectively means as good as it gets, and superb as this looks, I’m sure there’ll be a few features some had hoped for which won’t be present.

But as I say, that’s the mildest of niggles.

The ‘other’, remains interesting. Right, it’s not going to be this, so I’m just having a laugh. The WiiM Ultra Pro - like this, but no screen and balanced outputs.

Balanced cables do not, in general, reduce ground loops, which are caused by the grounds of different equipment being at slightly different voltages. They are designed to make very solid electrical connections, which can be a problem with some unbalanced cables. That can reduce hum,

Balanced inputs/outputs are mostly used to reduce noise created by interference from electromagnetic (EM) and radio frequency (RF) sources like AC mains, fluorescent lights, motors, and appliances. They are, for example, used in microphone cables in the concert environment where there can be a lot of electrical interference. Professional equipment in recording studios typically uses balanced cables. Even in private homes, there can be a lot of EM noise and the balanced cables help reduce the effect of that noise.

0:45-5:40.

Looks like a very nice package in a small footprint to me. Will definitely be upgrading my Pro Plus to this when it's available.
Add a pair of powered speakers and shazam!

I have a WiiM Mini and, Pro Plus, but I‘d love something with a decent screen again (had a Squeezebox Touch aeons ago) - that one is much, much too small though (for me personally).

Very nice device though.

I wouldn’t have called it the Ultra. In common usage that effectively means as good as it gets, and superb as this looks, I’m sure there’ll be a few features some had hoped for which won’t be present.
Just wait for the wiim ultra pro plus mega ultimate supreme.
(Though it seems more likely they'll start adding version numbers, mini V2, pro V2, etc if they continue upgrading their lineup)

Their naming reminds me about Samsung with their pro, pro plus and ultra.

0:45-5:40.

The main reason most people use balanced connections is to prevent problems with EM interference. It can sometimes help with ground loops but often does not. And, contrary to the video, the ground on the balanced cable (pin 1) is connected to the equipment ground. In fact, one solution to ground loop problems with balanced connections is to lift (disconnect) the ground connection on pin 1. Here is an example of a ground loop problem in a studio that was only fixed by lifting the ground, even using a balanced cable.

Suffice it to say, that independent of ground loop issues, the interference from EM radiation is why people want balanced connecters.

Last edited:
Back