WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I remember reading that you should be able to connect a USB hub which would allow you to have multiple USB connections including output to an external DAC.

This looks great, I'll happily volunteer for beta test :) the only issue for my use case is the apparent lack of balanced outputs so I'll probably end up keeping my external DAC but we'll see...

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

View attachment 6602
View attachment 6604

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.
Strange input/output connection layout. No organization or functional sense.

Are you sure you've been looking at the right picture? ;) All outputs at the bottom (except for LAN and power) shows a lot of functional sense for me.
Is the USB-A (top right over power connector) an input or output? If an output, as requested, it’s definitely on the input row…

If this is the worst complaint about it then I think we have a winning product here 😀

The question is… is that a USB in or out?

Most Pro customers interested in an upgrade want a USB out. Anything else is of no interest, most of all a screen and HDMI.

Most Pro customers interested in an upgrade want a USB out. Anything else is of no interest, most of all a screen and HDMI.
For you maybe... I for one welcome HDMI if anything for the practicality of not having to change remote when watching TV, it saves my optical in for other uses (CD transport for example) and I do like having album art on display.

Let's not restart the pointless debate on features. Because you don't care about something doesn't meant nobody else does and from a design standpoint it's not necessarily a compromise between feature A and B anyways. We probably won't all get exactly what we want and that's ok.

For example I would have welcomed balanced out simply because my power amp performs better with a 4 or 5V input and lower gain. One box this doesn't tick for me. Still ticks many others and I plan to replace my Pro Plus with this anyways.

As for USB out, aren't they adding this to the amp ? So it will probably be there too. It's a host port, it should be able to do it. Just a software issue at this point I think.

For you maybe... I for one welcome HDMI if anything for the practicality of not having to change remote when watching TV, it saves my optical in for other uses (CD transport for example) and I do like having album art on display.

Let's not restart the pointless debate on features. Because you don't care about something doesn't meant nobody else does and from a design standpoint it's not necessarily a compromise between feature A and B anyways. We probably won't all get exactly what we want and that's ok.

For example I would have welcomed balanced out simply because my power amp performs better with a 4 or 5V input and lower gain. One box this doesn't tick for me. Still ticks many others and I plan to replace my Pro Plus with this anyways.

As for USB out, aren't they adding this to the amp ? So it will probably be there too. It's a host port, it should be able to do it. Just a software issue at this point I think.
Get a DAC with balanced output and connect that to a balanced preamp.

Note that many ‘balanced’ components out there sport balanced connectors but are not balanced. I would not see a balanced topology done correctly in a product like this.

It has been stated previously in this very thread, it is both a USB input and output. You can use it either way, and if you require both simultaneously (i.e. output to a DAC and input from a storage device) then you can connect a USB hub to expand the number of ports.

Get a DAC with balanced output and connect that to a balanced preamp.

Note that many ‘balanced’ components out there sport balanced connectors but are not balanced. I would not see a balanced topology done correctly in a product like this.
This is exactly what we do using a topping D70 Pro Sabre :) it would have been nice to be able to retire it but I won't cry on it either

I’m sure many of you are aware that no company will release a product that has everything imaginable in just one device otherwise it’s an end game. It will be a subsequent upgrade from one to other with additional feature. That’s how you get multiple product in many years to come and to keep things exciting.

Back