WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
What would the odds be if you are able to buy a WiiM Mini or Pro on sale, get an external DAC and amp and sound better than the WiiM Ultra for less $$$.

I seriously hope the Ultra has a better DAC than my Topping D50S. I also hope WiiM doesn’t pull a fast one and get the cheapest DAC that can support MQA and call it day!

What would the odds be if you are able to buy a WiiM Mini or Pro on sale, get an external DAC and amp and sound better than the WiiM Ultra for less $$$.

I seriously hope the Ultra has a better DAC than my Topping D50S. I also hope WiiM doesn’t pull a fast one and get the cheapest DAC that can support MQA and call it day!
Why would they do that when MQA is effectively dead (good riddance)!?

The Pro Plus is already transparent, so it can only sound the same or worse, not ‘better’.

The thing that worries me about this thread is that the "audiophile" curse seems to have flooded what is a life style product that happens to have a really good streamer in it.

Just plug the thing into your rack and enjoy music :)

You know what, Cooky? Isn’t it great that it can be both.

It can be used in a pretty basic, plug-and-play system, but also hopefully (and based on what we know so far), capable of plugging into the highest of high end systems (leaving XLRs to one side, for a moment).

What’s not to like?

Unless the external DAC had a sub out with bass management, HDMI ARC in, a phono input, a dual- purpose USB and a touchscreen (and possibly a headphone output) then it wouldn't have the same features or ability to integrate as well into as many systems.

This sometimes ridiculous DAC or better chip fetishism is the biggest commercial air bubble obvious in audio since a few years and will burst, predictable sooner than later. At some point even the biggest enthusiasts, to chose a friendly word, will reach a point asking how far, fast and cheating this industry will go and if all the promises lead to a better sound. Food for measurements, no benefits for music. As always, YMMV ;-)
I cannot agree more!! So much misleading information out there. Be careful what you read!!

Unless the external DAC had a sub out with bass management, HDMI ARC in, a phono input, a dual- purpose USB and a touchscreen (and possibly a headphone output) then it wouldn't have the same features or ability to integrate as well into as many systems.
Anyone who uses a phono knows the WiiM will most likely have an inferior phono. I use my iPhone for screen and most of the time I play my playlist and forget it, I dont use usb, but it a good option to have, I don’t need hdmi.
I fail to mention I only use the WiiM as a streaming source. I do like the sub out option.

So a WiiM pro with sub out would be nice.

a chip does not do everything...it depends a lot on the quality of its integration and its "environment"...

Of course this implies it's implemented properly. If that is taken care of, this AKM chip is arguably the best option currently on the market...considering that this will never be implemented as an R2R model.

I already have an Oppo 205 with the high-end Sabre chip...so I'm curious what a well-implemented AKM can do.

a chip does not do everything...it depends a lot on the quality of its integration and its "environment"...

Of course this implies it's implemented properly. If that is taken care of, this AKM chip is arguably the best option currently on the market...considering that this will never be implemented as an R2R model.

I already have an Oppo 205 with the high-end Sabre chip...so I'm curious what a well-implemented AKM can do.
It’s a wait and see game now. I’m still working on my living room set up. I’m willing to wait till the ultra comes out. I hope Scientific Audiophile does a review of it.

Screens could be useful for setups and on the fly status information. As long as it gives the possibility to switch off its ok, but necessary? Its a gimmick, nothing more.
Ok but couldn,t you say VU meters are a gimmick too?

I mean..accuphase..mcintosh.. VU meters...high end gear,high end prices but gimmick VU meters?:D;) But the premium look?
What will the screen show..thats another question, we will see.
Maybe also the premium VU meters look:D.

Last edited:
You know what, Cooky? Isn’t it great that it can be both.

It can be used in a pretty basic, plug-and-play system, but also hopefully (and based on what we know so far), capable of plugging into the highest of high end systems (leaving XLRs to one side, for a moment).

What’s not to like?

There's nothing not to like, which was exactly my point, we're now on 62 pages, out of which probably 40 pages (and this is being charitable) are either nothing to do with the Ultra, or about features it doesn't have.

I don't envy WiiM having to pick some research out of all of this.

There's nothing not to like, which was exactly my point, we're now on 62 pages, out of which probably 40 pages (and this is being charitable) are either nothing to do with the Ultra, or about features it doesn't have.

I don't envy WiiM having to pick some research out of all of this.
I think the opposite, the diversity of comments help WiiM build a better user profile, the more the better.

They won’t ‘read’ the comments, they’ll use tools to profile key words, themes and add them to the roadmap

Did I mention VU meters 😜

Back