WiiM Pro Plus - now ROON ready and certified

i don't think they are working. They will have now a week to implement, update firmware...so maybe next weekend.
I have other problems with ROON actually (lack of support for Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen to be used as a Display - 3 1/2 years talking about that)
The deteriorating Google casting infrastructure is a large part of why I bought two Pro+ streamers. Can't really blame ROON for that.

From memory, WiiM have released firmware updates over a weekend before, but as anyone who has been a user for a while knows WiiM‘s targets are often optimistic. So what if it’s a couple of days or a week later than they had originally hoped? It’s like having children in the back of the car continually asking “are we there yet”? 😂😜
I use a music streamer for my Roon server and use Qobuz through Roon normally too, out of convenience. When I bought the WiiM Pro Plus I was under the impression it was already Roon ready. Maybe my mistake to not go through the fine print but it was not very obvious when I bought it. So every day that passes the WiiM is a black brick except I stream directly from Qobuz. I have no intention to use Chromecast or squeezebox and tinker around. So pardon my impatience. No feedback to what is going on with the update doesn't help me either. My old streamer broke so I cannot just go back.

Roon Certified, not Roon ready until it shows up in audio devices in Roon. I would not be a happy camper if I had bought this and it did not show in Roon.

Thus comes to an end my Mighty Wiim Pro and its solo Roon Ready victory. 🙃

It was a great year and it truly sounds excellent running TOSLINK into my RME ADI-2 Dac with my tube monoblocks.
The Dac can run up to 192K no problem.

(The shielding as I've learned with my glass optical cable is beneficial versus coax and the benefit with using a LPS to the WiiM Pro helps too.)

So, to the WiiM Pro Plus, welcome to the party, pal! 🫡

Last edited:
..which is a shame ;). It should be available when it's ready, for everyone, on demand. I'm happy the Pro+ is finally Roon Ready and the update will arrive soon. But in a broader context I think it's not done to push updates without user consent, at an unknown moment.

Think Apple: it is not that difficult. Notify the user an update is available, and let the user choose to update as his/her discretion.

An Apple and oranges comparison ;)

Apple are massively bigger than WiiM and have the backend server architecture to support a model such as you suggest. And as you see, the WiiM Home app pop up does give the option to ”Upgrade” or decline via “Not now” when the upgrade is available for your device.

The WiiM community is way way smaller than Apple's.. So server capacity should not be an issue. And not everyone would update at the same time if you make it a user choice, so I don't see this as a problem.

You say you have the option to upgrade or decline: yes, that is what I remember from some time ago. However, the last WiiM Pro and WiiM Pro + updates on my devices (I have 4) where done without my consent. Overnight, at random. I just got the message after the update had been done automatically. I do not see any setting to turn that off. That's my point: pushed updates without user consent are bad practice.

Got the update but it appears the Wiim lies to Roon. I have PEQ active and not 100% volume which is controlled in the digital realm. Yet no sign of it in Roons Signal path. Should appear after RAAT.

IMG_2694.pngIMG_2695.pngIMG_2696.png

For which audio device Roon shows the processing performed directly on this device?

Back