WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I hope the upcoming Ultra has enough improvements that someone like myself, that already owns a WiiM Pro and an excellent external DAC sees enough of an upside to buy one. I've been considering an Eversolo DMP-A8 but will wait to see what the Ultra has going for it. I'm hoping for onboard SSD storage and better connectivity.

I hope the upcoming Ultra has enough improvements that someone like myself, that already owns a WiiM Pro and an excellent external DAC sees enough of an upside to buy one. I've been considering an Eversolo DMP-A8 but will wait to see what the Ultra has going for it. I'm hoping for onboard SSD storage and better connectivity.

I'm wishing for a USB output so I can use an external DAC with an Asynchronous interface.

I have been an audiovisual person since childhood. Growing up with vinyl, I almost crawled into the big artworks, informations and lyrics when I was young. Even when listening to a CD, I usually place the cover clearly visible. Despite all the advantages, streaming is sometimes an almost abstract way of listening to music for me. That's why a display similar to the Shanling EM7 would be something both beautiful and informative to me that would simply always be there and visible.
shanling-em7.jpg

I have been an audiovisual person since childhood. Growing up with vinyl, I almost crawled into the big artworks, informations and lyrics when I was young. Even when listening to a CD, I usually place the cover clearly visible. Despite all the advantages, streaming is sometimes an almost abstract way of listening to music for me. That's why a display similar to the Shanling EM7 would be something both beautiful and informative to me that would simply always be there and visible.
View attachment 4137
I’m wondering…:unsure::unsure: Have you seen how much the Shanling costs?:unsure:

No desire for an internal screen for a new Wiim unit but maybe incorporate a protocol to allow it cast to a TV screen. That should not be too hard.

What I'd like to see is a possible external PSU to deliver better performance and whatever changes internal to the spec toward same.
Already using an external 5v LPS for the Wiim Pro. It's the only way to fly.

Currently my speakers are at either side of my TV so HDMI out to my TV would make sense. I guess we all do things differently.

No desire for an internal screen for a new Wiim unit but maybe incorporate a protocol to allow it cast to a TV screen. That should not be too hard.

What I'd like to see is a possible external PSU to deliver better performance and whatever changes internal to the spec toward same.
Agreed. I don't need a built-in screen for a streaming device.

How about casting to your TV from your phone and use the HDMI input of the Wiim Ultra. I do not really see the need for HDMI out.

The only reason for a screen on a streaming device I can see is when it is in hand's reach of my listening position. Otherwise I A. Can't read it and B. Can't reach it. Meaning it will only be a distraction and not of any use. Screen casting to chromecast or HDMI out on the other hand would be fine. I can put it up on the big screen.

You see, you don’t want an internal screen but a protocol to cast to TV. I would have the screen and i’m not interested in casting to TV. So? :unsure: Many heads many different needs. Will be WiiM to decide for us.;)😂😇

How about casting to your TV from your phone and use the HDMI input of the Wiim Ultra. I do not really see the need for HDMI out.
An HDMI output to stream multi-channel music by connecting the Wiim Ultra to an integrated Home cinema amplifier... just like connecting a Bluray player

Well, I can answer that one.

One of the advantages often cited in support of vinyl over CD and CD over streaming is album art. This is often tied to physicality and tangibility, but I think that many people just like having something to look at while they listen. A CD booklet trumps your telephone screen, and a 12” vinyl gatefold trumps a CD booklet.

But a 65” TV display trumps a 12” sleeve.

You might not appreciate that, maybe you listen with your eyes closed, and that’s absolutely fine. But there are enough people who would like to see something on their TV to make it worth while.

Personally, if I were WiiM, I’d go for an app which works in landscape 16:9 on all phones and tablets, and can be cast to your TV. A physical HDMI connection isn’t really necessary for a largely static 1080p, or even 4K display.

Well, I can answer that one.

One of the advantages often cited in support of vinyl over CD and CD over streaming is album art. This is often tied to physicality and tangibility, but I think that many people just like having something to look at while they listen. A CD booklet trumps your telephone screen, and a 12” vinyl gatefold trumps a CD booklet.

But a 65” TV display trumps a 12” sleeve.

You might not appreciate that, maybe you listen with your eyes closed, and that’s absolutely fine. But there are enough people who would like to see something on their TV to make it worth while.

Personally, if I were WiiM, I’d go for an app which works in landscape 16:9 on all phones and tablets, and can be cast to your TV. A physical HDMI connection isn’t really necessary for a largely static 1080p, or even 4K display.

That's why I like my SB touch . I guess a tablet on a coffee tabling showing music info would be another option, a 8" tablet can be had for £100 or so, closer so easier to read, also showing bands history and information to read etc, if the audio streamer is at a far distance etc.

I wouldn't display on my TV, just waste of electricity, screenburn, and wearing a TV out for nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_102640613.jpg
    IMG_20231222_102640613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
That's why I like my SB touch . I guess a tablet on a coffee tabling showing music info would be another option, a 8" tablet can be had for £100 or so, closer so easier to read, also showing bands history and information to read etc, if the audio streamer is at a far distance etc.

I wouldn't display on my TV, just waste of electricity, screenburn, and wearing a TV out for nothing.

Yes, that’s clearly an issue. For me, it’s not something I’d use every time I sat down to listen, so that would negate the problem.

Last edited:
Nice to hear, but I just bought the Pro model.... Hope they give customers trade up option 😉🤞

I've been living the "tablet on a coffee table" life style with using Node, Lumin D2 and Wiim Pro. Since my sofa is almost 4 meters away from my stereo rack I would have very little use of a streamer with a screen and although using a TV could be fun I would much rather see a streamer that focus on sound quality

I certainly do not think that a 65inch TV trumps an actual LP sleeve for one second. The latter is touchable and full of info.

I could display what I’m playing on my Living Room TV but I never do. LMS AirPlay bridge to my Onkyo AVR or directly to the TV.

I do have a touchscreen/now playing screen in my Living Room and elsewhere in the house in the form of an O2 Joggler and a couple of SB Touch’s but my main control is via iPhone or iPad.

My wife likes the Jogglers because they display an easily readable digital clock when not in audio use.

Don’t need a screen on a player though.

Back