WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
@WiiM Support - for HDMI ARC specified above, can you please confirm that there will be no HDMI Out (for multi-channel audio)? Just so that I can set the proper expectations in my brain for what this device will offer … :unsure: Thanks.

Hi Steve, Team

Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input
All very exciting. I registered an account just because I'd been lurking this thread for some time wondering what the new non-amp Wiim product would be.
Although I would request the addition of a trigger output, seems silly to have a 'pro' source that can't turn on amps or other devices..

All very exciting. I registered an account just because I'd been lurking this thread for some time wondering what the new non-amp Wiim product would be.
Although I would request the addition of a trigger output, seems silly to have a 'pro' source that can't turn on amps or other devices..
Yes, like our previous products, it does have a trigger output. Please note, this list only highlights upgrades from the previous version.

@WiiM Support - for HDMI ARC specified above, can you please confirm that there will be no HDMI Out (for multi-channel audio)? Just so that I can set the proper expectations in my brain for what this device will offer … :unsure: Thanks.
Hi timmo,

Currently, it does not feature HDMI Out. We will take this into consideration for our future product developments. Thank you for your suggestion!

Hi, @WiiM Support.

That would be a great upgrade, wasn't it? It's very exciting.
Is there any information that can be disclosed about pricing or LE audio?

LE audio support LC3 codec, but will the WiiM Ultra have LC3plus? And will it be able to support multi-stream?

Thank you. ☺️
Hi Wiimer,

The device supports multi-stream broadcasting. As for LC3Plus support, I need to confirm this and will provide more information once available.

The phrase "shut up and take my money" does not even begin to scratch my excitement!

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input
Hi @WiiM Support
I also have two questions:
1) Can you say something about the dimensions? Will it be much bigger than the Pro or Pro+?
2) Will it have an AKM DAC chip like the Pro+ or ESS? I have several DAXs and all with ESS chips. I would love to try AKM's Velvet Sound 😊
Thanks for a reply

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input

Apologies @WiiM Support , I think I may have 101 questions.

You’ve said the USB port can be used for an external DAC. I like that, but can you clarify a couple of things.

Firstly, can I use the upcoming room correction software, and/or PEQ within the WiiM Ultra, then send this ‘corrected’ digital signal to the external DAC, or will the USB port only output the original digital signal?

Secondly, will I be able to split the sub off from the main digital feed, and output the sub over the subwoofer out, and the high-passed remaining digital signal out over the USB port to the external DAC?

Many thanks.

Hi Steve, Team

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input
Looks great, but I see AES dig out and fully balanced XLR analog out is missing. You cannot call it “Ultra” and also expect to compete with the Eversolos of the world without this capability.

So USB out does not mean USB in as in the wiim ultra working as a sound card? Would be great for docked notebooks. Currently im using a usb to toslink dongle

Looks great, but I see AES dig out and fully balanced XLR analog out is missing. You cannot call it “Ultra” and also expect to compete with the Eversolos of the world without this capability.

The only advantage for balanced outs is either (a) if you’re running extremely long cables, or (b) to eliminate ground loops.

If you don’t need long cable runs and don’t experience ground loops, balanced outs make no difference.

But it reads so great and impressive. A "true and evangelical audiophile" can be identified by usage of balanced connections. In a home stereo system this is absolute nonsense. By the way, there are so many who did not even know that there is a difference between XLR and AES 😂😂😂😂

There is another factor.

If someone is already so ‘high end’ that they insist on balanced outs, then they almost certainly have a great DAC with balanced outs already, and they can (and almost certainly will be doing, anyway) use the USB port to feed that DAC, rather than using the WiiM Ultra’s analogue outs.

Which makes having balanced outs on the Ultra itself completely superfluous.

Wow, a lot of (unnecessary) hate for balanced outs :rolleyes: … I actually agree with what has been stated, but do note not all DACs have USB capability. And not just about the actual electrical benefits (which again I agree are negligible to none in many cases), some also like the physical connectors XLR offer, just another connection option, that is all. Assuming no major issue for WiiM to implement , there is no reason not to do this, and their competition is doing so. Also, on the AES, many folks are moving to active speakers with dig in, so my feeling this is a must for future proofing.

Last edited:
The only advantage for balanced outs is either (a) if you’re running extremely long cables, or (b) to eliminate ground loops.

If you don’t need long cable runs and don’t experience ground loops, balanced outs make no difference.
30 cm cable is perfectly enough to show differences between balanced and unbalanced cable.

IMO unbalanced connections in audio should die long time ago. Especially RCA ones.

Back