WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Wiim Ultra is preamp/streamer with legacy and usb connections. My question regarding the volume control if it’s just straight digital where loosing resolution as level go down. It would be good idea if it’s digitally control analog volume.
no, because its nothing more than a audiophile myth. any digital volume control with 24bits is plenty good enough.
most people dont even know how the ear works at lower volume, and think an old analog volume that could possible induce changes for the worse sound better. loudness buttons back in the day was there for a reason.

Last edited:
I wish for an even better DAC (hit the 120 Sinad Please) and balanced outs instead of all the out options. As is, the pro is an incredibly good DAC and there is very little need -if any- for an external Dac.
Plus, there are amps and active speakers that only accept Balanced input.
Ah, and PLEASE add DSD support, reading dsf files is mandatory for an audiophile product :)

most cheap but properly designed sources are much better than even the best amplifier. for example this one is only $80:
i dont have a problem if people like tube amps etc,(as long as they dont pay multiple thousands for them) but by far the most important thing is to get the speakers right. some are extremely bad and sold on marketing claims alone instead of the science of sound reproduction.
so i wouldnt worry about sound quality from a source. often irritations with electronics is actually an issue in the speakers.

I agree that speakers or headphones are extremely important. I have the Hifiman Arya Organic headphones, they can really highlight deficiencies in the signal chain. When people say that DACs don't matter I wonder if they haven't evaluated their system with good headphones or they just don't have sensitive hearing. The DAC in the Pro Plus is just OK but can't compare to a good external DAC at all. Which is why I wish they would add an I2S connection to the Ultra.

I²S is not going to improve audio. 16bit 44.1khz (enough for any sound reproduction) is a simple signal and any modern properly made dac handles s/pdif perfectly fine.

"The I²S connection was not intended to be used via cables"
"As the I²S bus doesn't have any error detection mechanism, this can cause significant decoding errors."
"There is no standard interconnecting cable for this application"

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there. With my setup I can hear differences in digital connections to my DAC. It may not be the medium but the implementation. I'm not the only one that can hear a difference in digital inputs.

Asynchronous USB is preferable for me. I wouldn't use S/PDIF because It's sample rate limited, higher jitter and has to be reclocked. I2s is not a external interface.

I realize that i2s wasn't designed as an external interface but when utilized with a short high quality HDMI cable it can sound really good. Just check out high end DACs, most of them are coming out with i2s inputs. USB has come a long way and might be the one that works best with the Ultra in the absence of i2s.

I wish for an even better DAC (hit the 120 Sinad Please) and balanced outs instead of all the out options. As is, the pro is an incredibly good DAC and there is very little need -if any- for an external Dac.
Plus, there are amps and active speakers that only accept Balanced input.
Ah, and PLEASE add DSD support, reading dsf files is mandatory for an audiophile product :)
About DAC, are you shure? 🤔🤔🤔 Mhhhh…..
Audiophile? 😝😝😝

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there. With my setup I can hear differences in digital connections to my DAC. It may not be the medium but the implementation. I'm not the only one that can hear a difference in digital inputs.
and none of the people who claim this would pass any blindtest. i once tricked an audiophile guy by exposing him to different dacs at very different prices, he went on about how much better sounding one of them was. he was listening to the same dac every time.
also saying something sounds better doesnt mean it is better, the signal can be worse...

and none of the people who claim this would pass any blindtest. i once tricked an audiophile guy by exposing him to different dacs at very different prices, he went on about how much better sounding one of them was. he was listening to the same dac every time.
also saying something sounds better doesnt mean it is better, the signal can be worse...
I think after a bit hearing fatigue sets in...similar to ones nose after smelling so many scents.

OK, I go by my own ears. A good R2R dac sounds much better to me.

I realize that i2s wasn't designed as an external interface but when utilized with a short high quality HDMI cable it can sound really good. Just check out high end DACs, most of them are coming out with i2s inputs. USB has come a long way and might be the one that works best with the Ultra in the absence of i2s.
I really doubt there's an audible difference.

Running i2S outside of the box could be troublesome. Different manufacturers may implement it differently since there no set of specs for external use. impedances etc. Maybe because they want to lock you into their proprietary system.

I really doubt there's an audible difference.

Running i2S outside of the box could be troublesome. Different manufacturers may implement it differently since there no set of specs for external use. impedances etc. Maybe because they want to lock you into their proprietary system.
Maybe, I connected a DDC (not Musician) to my PC>USB>DDC>i2s via HDMI>Musician R2R DAC. It connected the first time without issue. The sound was more dynamic than Optical or Coax for sure.

Maybe, I connected a DDC (not Musician) to my PC>USB>DDC>i2s via HDMI>Musician R2R DAC. It connected the first time without issue. The sound was more dynamic than Optical or Coax for sure.

That sounds too complicated and costly. I wouldn't buy a DAC that doesn't have an asynchronous USB input. And they start at like $99 or even less.

If you're going to run a $99. DAC then you might as well use the one in the WiiM. And yes, DACs can get expensive. I'm just partial to the R2R DAC sound.

Even DoP is limited due to the low bandwidth, but what about this necessity to reclock?

Back