WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Wiim already stated what connections it has, it’s basically wiim amp without amp plus full sets of optical/coax and screen.

That says:

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input

It doesn’t mention optical and/or coax at all.

More importantly, it only says those will be included, it does not say there won’t be other ins and outs.

That says:

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input

It doesn’t mention optical and/or coax at all.

More importantly, it only says those will be included, it does not say there won’t be other ins and outs.
Ask wiim maybe that’s just partial listing.

Ask wiim maybe that’s just partial listing.

Right, for clarity, WiiM’s original post said:

“WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output.“

Later on I asked:

“Even if spec isn’t finalised, is there anything more you can
tell us about what’s definitely ‘in’?”

Then they replied (in 195):

“Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input”

They were the ‘upgraded features’. At that time. They did not say it was the final spec. Now it might be that’s it, or maybe they’re looking into adding more, but can’t confirm at the moment.

But clearly that was an update, and nowhere did they say, or even imply, it was final.

Right, for clarity, WiiM’s original post said:

“WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output.“

Later on I asked:

“Even if spec isn’t finalised, is there anything more you can tell us about what’s definitely ‘in’?”

Then they replied (in 195):

“Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Phono input”

They were the ‘upgraded features’. At that time. They did not say it was the final spec. Now it might be that’s it, or maybe they’re looking into adding more, but can’t confirm at the moment.

But clearly that was an update, and nowhere did they say, or even imply, it was final.
That make no sense if no optical or coax. They add usb and remove the legacy connection. Ultra should be more connection than pro.

"Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra"

I interpreted it this way.😉

"Here are features of the WiiM Ultra, which has been upgraded from the WiiM pro plus"

For me, the key point is that they were answering the question:

“…is there anything more you can tell us about what’s definitely ‘in’?”

So not a final list, just what they know so far, at that point in time.

So when Smartplug said:

“Wiim already stated what connections it has…”

That’s wrong. They’ve only stated some of the connections it has. It’s wasn’t presented as a definitive, final list.

I will continue with the Pro as the Ultra is not what I, and others, want.

At some point there will be a Pro refresh and I bet that will continue to be basic with just an added USB out. That’s what many want. No hdmi, no screen, no phono, no sub.

At some point there will be a Pro refresh and I bet that will continue to be basic with just an added USB out. That’s what many want. No hdmi, no screen, no phono, no sub.

Quite a bit of talk and emotion over a product, which doesn't even exist, yet. :)
No emotion. Just feedback long sought by Linkplay. Some of us bought both the Mini and Pro right at launch and long expressed the interest in a USB out for those products. We look at these products as straight WiFi streamers with digital out to an external DAC.

Hey @WiiM Team

My Wishlist for the Ultra

All features of the Pro+ and additionally:

Must have:
  • 1 or better 2 sub out channels
  • HDMI ARC (many people have TVs wherever also in their music/hobby room)
  • Parametric EQ for L ,R & Sub channels (5 per channel)
  • SW phase in 1% steps or time alignment

Nice to have:
  • Balanced output
  • Phono preamp
  • Two versions, with and without display for less money but keep the rest 100% identical
  • Dirac module (as upgrade)
Beyond the realm of extravagant Hi-Fi where copper cables fetch exorbitant prices 🤣, EQs stand out as the most potent means to elevate the audio quality of your equipment.

Regrettably, only a handful of manufacturers cater to this market segment, and there's a glaring absence of compact units with built-in streamers, except a few excessively pricey options .

Last edited:
In the meantime I have been loving this very simple, amazing sounding, cheep , Bluetooth receiver with LDAC.
It even has a screen that scrolls and shows whats playing, and it sounds 98% like my Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
How do you know, that the Ultra is not what you and (many?) others want, when WiiM/Linkplay have not even announced the final set of features, yet? Is this really the "feedback long sought by Linkplay"? I won't buy, because I and (many?) others haven't been heard?

If so, be it.

Btw, my post I wasn't aimed at you directly, but rather at the discussion on the last pages in general.

As @audiobliss said, some are gonna be disappointed, no matter what WiiM will do.

I appreciate your point. If WiiM catered for every spec wish list, there’d be as many models as customers.

I think the Mini, Pro and Pro Plus cover the vast majority of people who are not wanting bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Back