WiiM Amp

When I listen to streaming music, the volume level is <40% and is plenty loud.
Attached HDMI arc to LG tv and the volume level on the amp has to be >80% to reach the same sound level.
The amps output volume changes with the tv volume level, so I don't seem to be able to raise the TV output independently to increase the gain.
I tried optical as well with same low level output requiring high volume setting on the amp.
Haven't found a tv setting that will output HDMI arc and let me raise the volume of the tv independently.
Is this the way it is, or have I missed a step?
Turn off CEC on the TV perhaps?

Turn off CEC on the TV perhaps?
I think that's the setting I tried and then no audio, but I will check again.
I have a soundbar that has HDMI and HDMI arc. Any chance I could TV arc> HDMI in on the soundbar >HDMI arc out of soundbar> WiiM Amp?
Guessing arc doesn't pass through that way.

The amps output volume changes with the tv volume level, so I don't seem to be able to raise the TV output independently to increase the gain.
That's exactly the idea of (e)ARC/CEC: It enables you to control the amplifier's volume using the TV's remote. So yes, that's the way it is. If you want to be able to set the TVs volume independently you would have to use an analog output like RCA or a 3.5 mm headphone jack. Usually, current TVs don't have either of these.

According to what others are reporting with their LG TVs the correct settings might be:
Sound out: HDMI ARC
Digital sound: PCM
eARC: off
SIMPLINK: on

I don't see how routing the HDMI signal through the soundbar could do any good.

Attached HDMI arc to LG tv and the volume level on the amp has to be >80% to reach the same sound level.
Is the TV the source of the signal, or is the source another device connected to the TV?
If the TV is the source (as in digital or analog TV tuner), maybe you can disconnect the Amp from HDMI ARC port, increase the volume on the TV, and then reconnect the Amp, and see if there's an increase in volume on the Amp afterwards?

That's exactly the idea of (e)ARC/CEC: It enables you to control the amplifier's volume using the TV's remote. So yes, that's the way it is. If you want to be able to set the TVs volume independently you would have to use an analog output like RCA or a 3.5 mm headphone jack. Usually, current TVs don't have either of these.

According to what others are reporting with their LG TVs the correct settings might be:
Sound out: HDMI ARC
Digital sound: PCM
eARC: off
SIMPLINK: on

I don't see how routing the HDMI signal through the soundbar could do any good.
Yes, it's working the way it's supposed too I believe, just the line level out from the tv seems to be low so the amp has to be cranked up higher than I think it should be.
I see the WiiM Amp setting of per source volume control, but I can't tell that it's implemented, plus not sure if that's an input control or likely output to speaker control.

Optical from TV to Amp is low as well for what that's worth.

Seems like it's the TV line level that's low compared to streaming audio on the amp.

I see the WiiM Amp setting of per source volume control, but I can't tell that it's implemented, plus not sure if that's an input control or likely output to speaker control.
If you have per-source volume toggled on under audio input, it will simply remember the volume setting you last used for each input - there’s nothing more to see. Try playing something via hdmi and set your pref volume there, then switch to wifi and similarly play something at the volume you prefer. You should now be able to switch back and forth and the last used volumes will be set for you.

So I got a 2nd unit and thankfully it's PCB_version: 5

I haven't ran any tests yet but it subjectively it is silent compared to the fairly noisy PCB_version: 2 model. That said it was only very noisy once (and I quickly rebooted) and mostly it was only an audible 'transformer' hum if I was within a foot of the device.

Its odd that they swapped the RCA inputs:

WiimAmps.jpeg

So I got a 2nd unit and thankfully it's PCB_version: 5

I haven't ran any tests yet but it subjectively it is silent compared to the fairly noisy PCB_version: 2 model. That said it was only very noisy once (and I quickly rebooted) and mostly it was only an audible 'transformer' hum if I was within a foot of the device.

Its odd that they swapped the RCA inputs:

View attachment 5102
The swap rca is ver 5.

My initial PCB version 4 did already have the swapped/corrected RCA input colour coding.

No idea if all PCB version 2 units got it wrong.
Mine has PCB V4.
Did you change yours V4 for a V5? If so, any noticeable differences in transformer hum or anything else?

Mine has PCB V4.
Did you change yours V4 for a V5? If so, any noticeable differences in transformer hum or anything else?
My PCB V4 has been perfectly quiet. I did return it strictly for some (minor, but still too annoying for me) mechanical issue.

Didn't give the PCB V4 any extended listening, let alone measurements.

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where do I find the PCB version?
I have looked at the packaging, the amp and also in the app, nowhere a mention of PCB...

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where do I find the PCB version?
I have looked at the packaging, the amp and also in the app, nowhere a mention of PCB...
In none of the places you looked for it. :D

It's not written anywhere on the product or packaging, you can extract that information from the HTTP API. In the web browser of your choice enter

and replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the actual IP address of your device. You can look it up e.g. in the WiiM Home App, device settings, network status.

Your browser will be warning you about an invalid TLS certificate. Ignore this warning and you will receive a very long sequence of characters. It's a JSON file, but all you need to do with it is to search for the term PCB_version and the number following that term.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

"PCB_version": "2"

Bought my amp end of December.

My PCB V4 has been perfectly quiet. I did return it strictly for some (minor, but still too annoying for me) mechanical issue.

Didn't give the PCB V4 any extended listening, let alone measurements.
Two V4 units, both have the coilwhine issue. Pretty much the same as the V2 had. No idea what Wiim has been doing. And it's not like I am more sensitive. I even put both of them directly next to Loxjie A30, SMSL A100, Onkyo TX-L50. None of the other devices produce any noise of even remotely the same volume. Maybe they just cheaped out on the transformers and capacitors and that's why some devices have this issue.

Two V4 units, both have the coilwhine issue. Pretty much the same as the V2 had. No idea what Wiim has been doing. And it's not like I am more sensitive. I even put both of them directly next to Loxjie A30, SMSL A100, Onkyo TX-L50. None of the other devices produce any noise of even remotely the same volume. Maybe they just cheaped out on the transformers and capacitors and that's why some devices have this issue.
Bummer, this just proves the already known fact that there is no 100% correlation between coil whining and PCB_version 2.

Speculating about the reasons won't get you anywhere. If your unit is faulty, return it.

wish they put an icepower 125asx2 or similar in instead, retail price would be a little higher but they are descent amps and very reliable.

Back