WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
WIIM building a device to take on the EverSolo DMP-A6 makes marketing sense. It received a ton of press and seems extremely popular. For me personally, I don't have a need for an integrated DAC/analog out stage, so devices like the DMP-A6 are overpriced given how I'd use them. I'll be looking at the Ultra in terms of what it brings over the Pro purely in the digital realm.

The ability to play around with DSP room correction would be fun. And I'd be thrilled if WIIM (or someone) could work in a way to allow VST plugin support. Hey, a guy can dream.

Other wishlist items:
- barrel connection for outboard DC power
- IIS out
- that new lossless bluetooth
- HDMI out so I can incorporate my own, larger video screen (aka TV) if I want fancy VU meter effects. Everything modular.

WIIM building a device to take on the EverSolo DMP-A6 makes marketing sense. It received a ton of press and seems extremely popular.
The problem I have with the EverSolo and other Android-based devices is that Android has a security-update lifetime of about 3 years. WiiM uses a highly customized, stripped down version of Linux, which will have security updates for many years.

are there any users of hqplayer software here, I would like to see it in WiiM products, I mean the NAA client for Hqplayer, the option is added in Roon and will be useful for everyone who uses Roon, I explain that Roon requires a server, similarly Hqplayer is on a separate machine and WiiM would only be a receiver of the upsampled signal, a function that will be very useful in the new WiiM ultra model with a USB output to the DAC. please vote if you are interested.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the SVS Prime Wireless Pro Soundbase (quite a long name there, SVS...) here.

It's pretty much the WiiM AVR thingie people are proposing here, along with an AMP. I'm not a screen guy, so this is *much* more interesting to me than an Eversolo.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the SVS Prime Wireless Pro Soundbase (quite a long name there, SVS...) here.

It's pretty much the WiiM AVR thingie people are proposing here, along with an AMP. I'm not a screen guy, so this is *much* more interesting to me than an Eversolo.
Does SVS have Dolby Atmos? 🙂

What I want is an AVR with integrated WiiM Home.
As you know, many AVRs have built-in network audio capabilities. In this respect, my demand is almost satisfied. However, the AVR made by WiiM will probably be a breakthrough for me.😊

Linkplay supply streaming boards to lots of oems but not sure any AVR vendors use them. Anthem use DTS Playfi as do Arcam, Pioneer and Onkyo. Bluos in all NADs, heos in all Marantz and Denon. Doesn’t leave much left for the big players.

The display can show the name, author of the song and cover. After switching to standby mode, widgets could show the weather for today and the next few days, or other useful data.

The display can show the name, author of the song and cover. After switching to standby mode, widgets could show the weather for today and the next few days, or other useful data.
Not sure what a 6" (or so) display on a device that for many sits 4, 5, 6 feet away does for anyone. Not to mention that the screen that really matters is in your hands (phone, tablet).

How about an HDMI output so we can put those VU meters on a TV above the audio rack?

Not sure what a 6" (or so) display on a device that for many sits 4, 5, 6 feet away does for anyone. Not to mention that the screen that really matters is in your hands (phone, tablet).

How about an HDMI output so we can put those VU meters on a TV above the audio rack?
I sometimes listen to music without a screen in my hand and would appreciate seeing artist and song info

If the market insists on having a small display sitting across the listening room, you could do a lot worse than resurrecting the Logitech Squeezebox Touch design at a price point closer to $300, throwing in some additional digital out connection types, and abandoning the idea that the Ultra needs a 'better DAC' than the Pro+. It really doesn't.

1700606428468.png

If the market insists on having a small display sitting across the listening room, you could do a lot worse than resurrecting the Logitech Squeezebox Touch design at a price point closer to $300, throwing in some additional digital out connection types, and abandoning the idea that the Ultra needs a 'better DAC' than the Pro+. It really doesn't.

View attachment 3479
Many of us don’t listen from “across the room”. I almost always listen to pro studio monitors on either side of my workstation. A dedicated display is very useful.

IMG_1370.jpeg

Many of us don’t listen from “across the room”. I almost always listen to pro studio monitors on either side of my workstation. A dedicated display is very useful.

View attachment 3480
I'm guessing that today's desktop WiiM'ers are using a phone (a 6" to 7" high resolution, dedicated display) or a tablet (9" or larger dedicated display) and perhaps not the desktop app. I'm wondering why an attached display seems desirable for desktop use as it would be more difficult to position for optimal viewing than a detached, portable device. It also wouldn't likely provide better specs than a current tablet or phone screen while increasing the cost of the Ultra. Not to mention that the phone is still just as likely to be nearby. If WiiM could finesse an HDMI out into the Ultra, it would make larger, dedicated displays possible like the one you're showing above. Or allow for integration into a secondary input on your desktop monitor, or into a TV above an entertainment center. That would be a real differentiator and provide greater utility.

I'm guessing that today's desktop WiiM'ers are using a phone (a 6" to 7" high resolution, dedicated display) or a tablet (9" or larger dedicated display) and perhaps not the desktop app. I'm wondering why an attached display seems desirable for desktop use as it would be more difficult to position for optimal viewing than a detached, portable device. It also wouldn't likely provide better specs than a current tablet or phone screen while increasing the cost of the Ultra. Not to mention that the phone is still just as likely to be nearby. If WiiM could finesse an HDMI out into the Ultra, it would make larger, dedicated displays possible like the one you're showing above. Or allow for integration into a secondary input on your desktop monitor, or into a TV above an entertainment center. That would be a real differentiator and provide greater utility.

Just to show abum art without needing a phone, and additionally to it. I like my SB Touch screen, if I don't have my phone app loaded, I can just glance over the SB touch screen and see what's playing (if I have it on random etc)

Plus there is a group that want old skool VU meter or display

Back