WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
More options means more software problems :) I would stay with USB and screen only.
would stay with USB and screen only.

I find it difficult to really understand the insistence on a screen, necessarily expensive, for the use of machines designed to be controlled via a phone or a tablet on one's sofa...especially since it will never offer the speed or the quality of our phone apps etc... (in addition this type of screen creates fragility, often see, produces disturbances.....)
;-)

i hope for a future no frills hig end 350$ streamer (only) with auto on, excelent clock and usb or i2s output. Internal power Supply is an error (in my opinion). Too much snakes under the TV bench.

Here’s an idea for a Mini replacement:

New Mini: current Pro with added USB-c digital out. Price: US$100.

I find it difficult to really understand the insistence on a screen, necessarily expensive, for the use of machines designed to be controlled via a phone or a tablet on one's sofa...especially since it will never offer the speed or the quality of our phone apps etc... (in addition this type of screen creates fragility, often see, produces disturbances.....)
;-)

I call this the Eversolo effect.

How would everyone feel if the Ultra's display only showed Track Title, Album Art and Elapsed Time? Pretty sad, I'd say. Everyone wants the bouncing VU needles.

ahhhh....
if for vumeters (which are useless on a dac)...
I bow...
:giggle:
funny..
the hdg approach will be to be able to turn off the screen... disturbance, consumption etc... ;-)

Last edited:
Just a little bit more I/O usb in and out, hdmi arc. Maybe another line in and a sub out.

I’ve said this before about the screen, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

The display will be a re-purposed smartphone screen. Users already control their WiiM from their phone.

The screen on the streamer will be fixed rather than moveable, and won’t be easily viewed unless you’re close, whilst you’ll always be close to your phone.

So what exactly is the point of including a screen, at significant extra cost, when you already own one which is better/more useable?

The display will be a re-purposed smartphone screen. Users already control their WiiM from their phone.

The screen on the streamer will be fixed rather than moveable, and won’t be easily viewed unless you’re close, whilst you’ll always be close to your phone.

So what exactly is the point of including a screen, at significant extra cost, when you already own one which is better/more useable?
Could be a colorful spot in many grey livings 😉

Wiim provided the detail about connections. It’s wiim amp without amp with additional coax/optical and screen.

Pretty simple. Many of us usually or always listen while at our desks, either via headphones or studio monitors. It provides the best sound, without all the room interactions. It's always great to be able to, at a glance, without having to constantly pick up and log into a phone, see which song is currently playing. I wouldn't have it any other way, and have built many displays for the WiiM and LMS.

Back