Beta Test: Room Correction for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus, Amp

This is not a question, but I wonder if the room correction of the WiiM amp comes with the USB output. It's a bit strange that the room correction in group B comes before the USB output in group A on the roadmap.🤔

I feel that this means that the development of USB output is difficult.
I can't help what thay can't do, but if so, I would like you to let me know as soon as possible. 🙂

(What worries me is not that the WiiM amp's USB output will end in a dream, but that it will disappear from the roadmap before I know it.)

This is not a question, but I wonder if the room correction of the WiiM amp comes with the USB output. It's a bit strange that the room correction in group B comes before the USB output in group A on the roadmap.🤔

I feel that this means that the development of USB output is difficult.
I can't help what thay can't do, but if so, I would like you to let me know as soon as possible. 🙂

(What worries me is not that the WiiM amp's USB output will end in a dream, but that it will disappear from the roadmap before I know it.)
I didn’t infer any order of development on that list tbh.

What’s puzzling, and I’m sure this is to be answered soon, is the mic.

You’d have thought, in asking for beta testers, they’d have made some sort of stipulation that you need an iPhone/iPad, or you’ll need to buy a mic, or whatever.

No sign that you’ll need a PC, so presumably it’s the phone’s mic.

Time will tell.

What’s puzzling, and I’m sure this is to be answered soon, is the mic.

You’d have thought, in asking for beta testers, they’d have made some sort of stipulation that you need an iPhone/iPad, or you’ll need to buy a mic, or whatever.

No sign that you’ll need a PC, so presumably it’s the phone’s mic.

Time will tell.
They may have a proprietary technology that it may use the phone built in mic and send those information to peq to correct peak and dips.

They may have a proprietary technology that it may use the phone built in mic and send those information to peq to correct peak and dips.
Problem with that is that in built phone mics aren’t calibrated and on android in particular can vary widely in quality. But we’ve speculated on this before and hopefully don’t have that much longer to wait to find out how WiiM will tackle the issue.

I imagine they will use the moving microphone method with the phone's microphone:

I would be happy as long as there is an 'advanced' view where we can edit the values generated

Problem with that is that in built phone mics aren’t calibrated and on android in particular can vary widely in quality. But we’ve speculated on this before and hopefully don’t have that much longer to wait to find out how WiiM will tackle the issue.
Many AVR room correction are ok on movie but on music left so much to desire. In fact many of them ruin the stereo imaging. Pure direct is still unbeatable.

already remove the large flat screens between the speakers and the glass coffee tables etc... this will prevent the DSP from having to winding too much like a " yellow jersey", they already have enough to do with the bass...
;-)

That’s what I was thinking.

The iPhones apparently have pretty solid mics, and HouseCurve successfully compensates for known deviations.

Hopefully there’ll be some option to use your own mic.

I think I’ve said before, it’d be nice if the upcoming ultra came with its own calibration mic, just like AVRs do.

Whatever, it’ll be interesting to see. And the wait is nearly over.

I’m also somebody’s wondering if 10-band PEQ will arrive with this correction. 4-band nay be enough in sous circumstances, depending on how fine you want to go, but many will find it limiting.

Do we know what sort of corrections will be applied within the room correction? Is it IIR filtering, or a FIR one, or a combination maybe?

That’s what I was thinking.

The iPhones apparently have pretty solid mics, and HouseCurve successfully compensates for known deviations.

Hopefully there’ll be some option to use your own mic.

I think I’ve said before, it’d be nice if the upcoming ultra came with its own calibration mic, just like AVRs do.

Whatever, it’ll be interesting to see. And the wait is nearly over.

I’m also somebody’s wondering if 10-band PEQ will arrive with this correction. 4-band nay be enough in sous circumstances, depending on how fine you want to go, but many will find it limiting.
but also everything that concerns the precise processing of the sub, the subs....phase, delays, slope etc..
these are really essential settings for those who want to make a beautiful integration of a sub...

but also everything that concerns the precise processing of the sub, the subs....phase, delays, slope etc..
these are really essential settings for those who want to make a beautiful integration of a sub...

I think phase is already there in the Amp’s settings.

Delay? May not be necessary, or as necessary, for many.

This isn’t home cinema, with multiple seats at different distances, usually playing for multiple listeners.

So many hi-fi listeners listen alone. Often there’s one seat, and that’s all you need to take into account. And there’s definitely only 2.1 or 2.2 speakers.

In a 2.1 system, if the sub is anywhere in between L and R, the timing difference between the sub and either main speaker is less than that between the main speakers themselves.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be useful in some instances; I’m sure there’ll be those who sit down to listen to Dark Side of the Moon as a family of four, and will have the main speakers at one end of the room and sub at the other, but they’ll be in a small minority.

the delay aspect is a little more delicate than what you describe and the cases are often very variable...

( in any case this immense variability in the acoustic conditions will necessarily make the exchanges difficult and relevant in the discussions on the correction..)

the delay aspect is a little more delicate than what you describe and the cases are often very variable...

( in any case this immense variability in the acoustic conditions will necessarily make the exchanges difficult and relevant in the discussions on the correction..)

Absolutely no delay should be applied to a stereo pair of speakers, unless you’ve placed furniture inbetween the driver and your ear. I’m presuming a listening position in the middle, as it should be.

The direct sound from the two speaker will reach your ears at the same time, delay should be set to zero, unless you live in a magic room where pixies make the air pressure higher at one side of the room than the other.

Now it’s possible some reflected sound will be delayed to one speaker and not the other. Let’s say your right channel’s first reflection requires a delay of 2ms.

Great. Enter a delay of 2ms. But hold on, you can’t just do that for the first reflection, the direct sound will be delayed, too.

You’ve now made the louder, more prominent, direct sound from the driver, which was perfect at zero, imperfect by 2ms, to correct the quieter, less important second reflection.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Bottom line, if you have a 2.1 set up, and all 3 speakers are the same distance from you, then the correct delay setting for each one is zero.

It’s only when you bring in multiple seats, more speakers, and less control over furnishings in relation to those speakers and seats, that delay becomes an issue.

Sorry, to be accurate, there is one caveat. If processing is involved this can introduce delay. However, as all processing is being done by the WiiM in this instance, we can discard that caveat in this scenario, unless your sub has its own built in dsp. And if it has, guess what. You can control that from the sub’s app.

Absolutely no delay should be applied to a stereo pair of speakers, unless you’ve placed furniture inbetween the driver and your ear. I’m presuming a listening position in the middle, as it should be.

The direct sound from the two speaker will reach your ears at the same time, delay should be set to zero, unless you live in a magic room where pixies make the air pressure higher at one side of the room than the other.

Now it’s possible some reflected sound will be delayed to one speaker and not the other. Let’s say your right channel’s first reflection requires a delay of 2ms.

Great. Enter a delay of 2ms. But hold on, you can’t just do that for the first reflection, the direct sound will be delayed, too.

You’ve now made the louder, more prominent, direct sound from the driver, which was perfect at zero, imperfect by 2ms, to correct the quieter, less important second reflection.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Bottom line, if you have a 2.1 set up, and all 3 speakers are the same distance from you, then the correct delay setting for each one is zero.

It’s only when you bring in multiple seats, more speakers, and less control over furnishings in relation to those speakers and seats, that delay becomes an issue.

Sorry, to be accurate, there is one caveat. If processing is involved this can introduce delay. However, as all processing is being done by the WiiM in this instance, we can discard that caveat in this scenario, unless your sub has its own built in dsp. And if it has, guess what. You can control that from the sub’s app.
I don’t like delay setting on room correction it makes stereo unbalanced where one speaker is louder than the other. Distance/delay maybe good for movie but definitely not on music.

Hi,

We're looking for WiiM owners of WiiM Pro, Pro Plus, Amp who are interested in beta testing the Room Correction feature we hope to roll out.

If you're interested, please provide your information below in the form, and we'll OTA the beta firmware when it's available.

Beta Test: Room Correction for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus, Amp

Please note that the Room Correction feature will first be rolled out to the Amp, Pro/Pro Plus products.

WiiM Mini is TBD as we test to see if it could support the Room Correction feature.

Best,
WiiM Team
Request sent - thank you very much đź‘Ť

However, as all processing is being done by the WiiM in this instance, we can discard that caveat in this scenario, unless your sub has its own built in dsp. And if it has, guess what. You can control that from the sub’s app.
Generally agreed, except for the last sentence.

If the sub has an inherent delay of, say, 5 ms, then there's no way this could be changed by the sub or its app. The only way to deal with it is by adding delay to both main speakers, including all possible implications.

We are not living in the perfect world, so even the listening position is not always perfectly balanced between the speakers.

Back