Beta Test: TIDAL Hi-Res (i.e. Max)

I just got the update. Happy days. It is stuttering quite a bit on 192khz but this also happened on my laptop, so I assume it's the Tidal server.
My streamer in charge does this little interruptions also...so wait and see whats going on. In Tidal native and also in Connect. Will try with the WiiM tomorrow. This connect thing is not my target, but I am a curious old man.
Also it seems to be still an unholy mix. In most of the "max" signed albums this bs MQA idiot light gets still on. Using dongles in UAPP all is still MQA and from the Tidal apps in IOS and Android it is a mixed result. For example REMs Automatic for the People is "clear" 192 in the apps and MQA in UAPP. REMs Out of time is MQA on both.

They've been testing the firmware on Tidal Connect for two hours - no problems have been noticed so far.

Curiosity wins nearly every time. Started the Pro via Cambridge DACMagic 200 and Tidal Connect. And after short over an hour it is still working without problem.
Supplemental to my previous post:
For the two R.E.M. albums:

Automatic for the People
MQA in WiiM off: FLAC 192
MQA in WiiM on: FLAC 192

Out of Time
MQA in WiiM off: 44,1
MQA in WiiM on: 88,2

I do really not know finally how to understand and to interpret Tidal. Hopefully at least new releases will be without this MQA nonsense.

I just got the update. Happy days. It is stuttering quite a bit on 192khz but this also happened on my laptop, so I assume it's the Tidal server.
WiiM mini to smsl DO100 dac.
Anything at 192khz with new tidal connect FW, it's now stuttering.
Same songs played from qobuz tryout with mconnect lite, play perfectly at 192khz.
Same songs played from tidal app on iphone USB connected, go perfectly at 192khz, this would means that tidal servers are not in trouble.
MQA doesn't have any problem.
Limiting WiiM higher sample rate, doesn't solve. Those songs still stutter even at 96Khz.
Opened a ticket...

I do really not know finally how to understand and to interpret Tidal. Hopefully at least new releases will be without this MQA nonsense.
There isn't rule. I think depends from publishers habit.
Even after tidal philosophy change, as far for hi-res, there are new releases flac only, MQA only or both...

So my upcoming peace with Tidal will decrease quite rapidly..I really hoped they finally join MQA's funeral. (But the music is still playing without stuttering here.)

Just for info, this piece is 192khz but 4300Kbit only and doesn't stutter. Maybe new FW can't manage higher bit rates...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231018_161738_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018_161738_WiiM Home.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 32
Mine just updated still not showing the bitrate in tidal connect.

Last edited:
It worked for more than four hours without any problem. Enough for a test. I do not care about bitrates, it sounds like Qobuz sounds. Next try after eventual coming updates, so the WiiM got back to its box.

Last edited:
In Tidal I choose a flac track 24bit 192khz and it shows in yellow letters MAX/FLAC . When I change to tidal connect to wiim plus the track in tidal changes to MAX. Is this normal?

The correct thing for Tidal is to be ready to accomodate both types of users who have mqa dacs and want to listen to mqa tracks and the rest. You should be able to choose beforehand and have the same access to the entire song collection.

In Tidal I choose a flac track 24bit 192khz and it shows in yellow letters MAX/FLAC . When I change to tidal connect to wiim plus the track in tidal changes to MAX. Is this normal?
At the moment, yes, unless you have requested to be part of the wiim beta testing.

Edit: I may be answering the question I thought you asked, not the question you actually asked....
I should probably leave it to someone else who has the beta to answer!

Last edited:
At the moment, yes, unless you have requested to be part of the wiim beta testing.

Edit: I may be answering the question I thought you asked, not the question you actually asked....
I should probably leave it to someone else who has the beta to answer!
thanks for the reply. I registered with the beta firmware. The number release is 4.8.532846 build date 20231018 (yesterday) .Is this the beta or not?
I do not have any extra DAC. Just Wiim Pro Plus.
Greetings

Thanks for the reply. I registered with the beta firmware. The number release is 4.8.532846 .Is this the beta or not?
I do not have any extra DAC. Just Wiim Pro Plus.
Yes is the beta, same number on mini
Regarding tidal interfaces info I got the following behaviors, from left: iOS stand alone, iOS with connect on WiiM, android alone, android with connect on WiiM.
As you can see, iOS without connect only, shows bitrate.

For further info, I verified that only higher bitrate192khz flac stutter.
All above 5000Kbit/sec stutter.
Whose just above 4000Kbit/sec, don't stutter.

Attachments

• 20231019_094049.jpg
    20231019_094049.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20231019_093429.jpg
    20231019_093429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231019_095139_TIDAL.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_095139_TIDAL.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231019_095003_TIDAL.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_095003_TIDAL.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 26
Is the Wiim Plus internal DAC MQA?
Using the internal DAC of the Plus, is it better to transmit from Tidal connect or from the Wiim application?

Is the Wiim Plus internal DAC MQA?
Using the internal DAC of the Plus, is it better to transmit from Tidal connect or from the Wiim application?
No, but WiiM will do the first unfold whether you use the Wiim home app or tidal connect.

I forgot to say that at the moment, on iOS version, if you touch the bitrate indication, it toggles with "Max" back and forth.
On android, touching "flac" badge, it opens streaming preferences.

Back