My Pro tests

Philippe has been updating his LMS plugins recently, including his Chromecast bridge, perhaps explaining the issues.

Small comparison of jitter change between Mini and Pro.

Mini and reclocking on S2 Digi:
1672421795824.png

Pro and reclocking on S2 Digi:
1672421857103.png

Mini and ASRC on miniDSP Flex:
1672421958273.png

Pro and ASRC on miniDSP Flex:
1672422016708.png

Jitter is definitely reduced although it will not matter for DACs with strong jitter suppression / reclocking.

good news...go in the right direction..
it was one of the weaknesses of the mini...
;-)
thank you for yours efforts..
(
there is good hope that the analog output will also be a little cleaner and more balanced
;-)
)
(the reclocking of your digi is "strong"..144.3 sinad...)

;-)

Last edited:
So for us simple consumers who like good sound whats the verdict for a digital streamer when using external DAC? Is the pro a noticeable upgrade in sound quality over the mini or is the pro more about features and connectability?
I am particularly interested in streaming from Amazon music if that matters. Thanks!

So for us simple consumers who like good sound whats the verdict for a digital streamer when using external DAC? Is the pro a noticeable upgrade in sound quality over the mini or is the pro more about features and connectability?
I am particularly interested in streaming from Amazon music if that matters. Thanks!
Pro just more features and connectivity. It has same dac chip as the mini and more powerful hardware.

good news...go in the right direction..
it was one of the weaknesses of the mini...
;-)
thank you for yours efforts..
(
there is good hope that the analog output will also be a little cleaner and more balanced
;-)
)
(the reclocking of your digi is "strong"..144.3 sinad...)

;-)
What did you came up with morillon? Like reading your post, keep up the good work.

Pro is just a bit better in digital and analog domain due to slightly lowered jitter. In common scenarios it doesn't really matter as most of the modern DACs can handle both Mini and Pro equally with their advanced spdif correction.
So in my opinion both are equal in terms of SQ when using external DAC and Pro has a small advantage when using analog output.

it's him alone..
I don't have a pro...
thank you to him
(what remains to dig a little c is can be the behavior-balancing of the two analog channels on the pro not terrible on my mini ...)

What did you came up with morillon? Like reading your post, keep up the good work.
it's him alone..
I don't have a pro...and no reason to buy one... (for my radios and deezer "halleluia" (it works very well now) just 44/16 the mini is quite sufficient in toslink "fixe level" no drc ;-) )

thank you to him

(what remains to dig a little is can be the behavior-balancing of the two analog channels on the pro not terrible on my mini ...)
(the mono function has been added .. it will make even more sense if wiim offers a balance function in parallel)

certainly we are not on asr but I find it a pity that his efforts have not been more thanked

Last edited:
I've decided to repeat Multitone measurements using native test files instead of REW ones and with higher FFT size 512K, on miniDSP with ASRC again. Numbers below, first 3 columns are for Mini, everything executed at 48 kHz but captured at 96 kHz due to internal miniDSP samplerate.

1674665030143.png

Plus sine 12k graphs especially for @canard :)

Mini:
1674665266823.png

Pro:
1674665327670.png

thank you.. that is significant...
;-)
the last thing to dig would be good in stereo mode to observe the analog output typically in 48/24 or 96/24 ..

in fact my words may surprise but the interest of a solution without an external dac for an affordable and complete solution is the essence of its two products I find.. "very large public"

and basically if a modest and very affordable mk2 version of the wiim mini were to do this...it seems to me that it is a care to its analog output which should be the main effort (with perhaps a more solid spdif output and very common too...)
well, could be entrusted to a topping smsl gustard... with the know-how "at an affordable price", see will be valuable on the marketing side...

Last edited:
Few results taken in the analog domain with Cosmos ADC, 2V rms.

Sine 1k 48k
Pro:
1675173279868.png

Mini:
1675173332831.png

Sine 12k 48k
Pro:
1675173442911.png

Mini:
1675173473343.png

SMPTE 48k
Pro:
1675173519688.png

Mini:
1675173536636.png

But for Mini it's a different story. None of my cables could give me stable and similar results for both channels. I was measuring huge differences:

1675174086409.png

1675174230105.png

I would like to believe it's just my unit failure due to the socket and cables issues.

I gently warned...
after the story of drc..i'm tired of being "the bird of bad omen"...why I don't insist anymore etc.

that's why I invited you to investigate in stereo analog .....
:cry:
(
I fear that on devices so chip, modest, inexpensive and more miniaturized than the pro ... will depend on the batches ...

could almost be checked on a case by case basis.
and joins my little insistence on carrying out a balance function because we can also observe an imbalance etc.)
ps..
we can test with mono fonction now

Last edited:
I gently warned...
after the story of drc..i'm tired of being "the bird of bad omen"...why I don't insist anymore etc.

that's why I invited you to investigate in stereo analog .....
:cry:
(
I fear that on devices so chip, modest, inexpensive and more miniaturized than the pro ... will depend on the batches ...

could almost be checked on a case by case basis.
and joins my little insistence on carrying out a balance function because we can also observe an imbalance etc.)
ps..
we can test with mono fonction now
Amir's results were similar for 1k 44.1:

1675177152685.png

But those ones I got for 12k are simply terrible...

Conclusion is still the same - you can get a cheap device with high performance in the digital domain, but it's not going to be so easy in the analog one.

if one day a mk2 mini ... it is the essential point to make progress .... because even if not those who talk on the forums ... s address in the first place "all in one" on analog output at large public...
being hard
is ridiculous to use- value a dac ""192k/24b" highlight the hd etc to get out like this...
marketing has its limits...
if the chromecast audio has its limits ... analog output side c is cleaner and rather coherent then ..
this gargle of high resolutions in the case of the use of analog outputs is .... euhhhhhhh
you have to stick to 44-48/16

sorry...

Conclusion is still the same - you can get a cheap device with high performance in the digital domain, but it's not going to be so easy in the analog one.
the arrival of the cosmos is an opportunity to investigate the possible impact of different power supplies typically in 96k24...on the analog outputs
;-)

Back